All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
POLL: Describe your IBS Symptoms
      #13307 - 07/07/03 09:06 AM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

Hello everyone,

I think this exercise will help us in understanding our condition better.

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both? I'm mainly D but I also get C.
2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? From 2 to 4 to None.
3. How often do you get an attack? I have IBS almost everyday of my life
3. What other symptoms do you have? Nauseas, stomach cramps, belching, gas, and these have caused anxiety and some depression.
4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger? I got it 1 year ago. Personal problems were the trigger.
5. What foods can't you tolerate? Milk, TVP (soy) but tofu is ok, oils, Indian food, spicy food.
6. What are you currently taking for IBS? Citrucel, calcium, acidophilus, and soon Calm Colon from Samra.
7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? Yes, Flex sigmoid, blood tests, stools test, breath test.
8. Does your IBS depress you? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: POLL: Describe your IBS Symptoms new
      #13311 - 07/07/03 09:16 AM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both?

I FLUCTUATE BETWEEN D AND C. IT'S ALMOST 50/50

2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day?

DEPENDS... SOMETIMES NONE, SOMETIMES 5 OR MORE

3. How often do you get an attack?

UP TILL RECENTLY, AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. LATELY IT'S BEEN BETTER THOUGH... 3 TIMES A WEEK

3. What other symptoms do you have?

NAUSEA, CRAMPING, FATIGUE, DEPRESSION

4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger?

NOT SURE, BUT I THINK I MESSED MYSELF UP WHEN I WAS ANOREXIC FROM 1996-1998.

5. What foods can't you tolerate?

RED MEAT, DAIRY, TURKEY, ANYTHING FATTY

6. What are you currently taking for IBS?

ROBINUL, EFFEXOR XR, FIBERCON, PAPAYA ENZYME, ALTOIDS, PEPPERMINT TEA

7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run?

YES, COLONOSCOPY, BLOOD TESTS, UPPER GI (AND SMALL BOWEL) X-RAYS

8. Does your IBS depress you?

YES, I'M ON EFFEXOR XR FOR DEPRESSION, AND IT ALSO REALLY HELPS MY IBS.

beth

#13312 - 07/07/03 09:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

1. Type of IBS,D, C or Both
D
2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? None (and if I do, it's little pebbles
3. How often do you get an attack? It used to be daily...now it's about 2 times a week...or more if it's a bad week.
4. What other symptoms do you have?
Gas, bloating, pain, belching, hiccups, fatigue.
5. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger?
I got it when I was a little kid, around 5. Genetic.
6. What foods can't you tolerate?
Dairy, high fat foods, eggs (even whites), corn, and most of the time soy, maybe gluten (not sure), most fruits, some veggies
7. Probiotics, extra rest, heat when I need it, watch my diet, hypnotherapy tapes
8. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? Yes, more than once! AS a kid I had an upper GI and an upper endoscopy. As an adult I had a colonoscopy and blood work.
9. Does your IBS depress you?
Sometimes But, it makes me a stronger person with more self control (when I do the right thing!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13320 - 07/07/03 09:35 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both? Mainly C but worse symptom is the spasms/cramping/pain I get when I eat wrong foods or get over stressed. Also bloating/gas is big.
2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? 1 or none, sometimes 1 a week!!! Getting much better lately.
3. How often do you get an attack? I have not had a real attack in over a week but deal with other symptoms daily (gas/C)
3. What other symptoms do you have? Think I covered them mostly.
4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger? I can't remember not being this way, don't know.
5. What foods can't you tolerate? Still pinning that down, but so far the very things Heather talks about - high fat, dairy, raw roughage, to name a few.
6. What are you currently taking for IBS? Ground flax seed, acidophilus, enteric coated peppermint, calcium/magnesium combo, eating fresh papaya daily for enzymes
7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? Yes, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and even abdominal CT scan. Scopes found precancerous polyps and gastritis in stomach, but otherwise GI system is clear and classic IBS. 8. Does your IBS depress you? Sometimes. Plenty else to be thankful for and trying to focus on those things and on the needs of other people.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#13338 - 07/07/03 10:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both? Both - usually IBS-C but lately IBS-D.
2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? If I'm lucky, once a day.. but normally once every 3-4 days.
3. How often do you get an attack? Lately? Once or twice a day. Normally about once a week.
3. What other symptoms do you have? Bloating, nauseas, stomach cramps, and gas.
4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger? About 3 years ago. Not sure what the trigger was.
5. What foods can't you tolerate? Dairy, whole grain wheat, alcohol (most times), fatty foods (fast food), some vegetables and fruits
6. What are you currently taking for IBS? Librax, dicyclomine, and flax oil seed capsules
7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? Yup. Sigmoidoscopy & barium enima
8. Does your IBS depress you? Of course. It would depress even the happiest person sometimes.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#13344 - 07/07/03 11:50 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both? C
2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? From 2 to 4 to None. About 3 (but I am on Zelnorm otherwise you could hang it up)
3. How often do you get an attack? Seems like it is constant everyday.
3. What other symptoms do you have? Gas, Bloating
4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger? Can't remember have it for 10 years but I think it was stress in my job.
5. What foods can't you tolerate? Dairy, Most proteins except for beans which are high fiber, Not having a lot of luck with soy products either
6. What are you currently taking for IBS? Citrucel, 800mg of Magnesium, Zelnorm, Ultra Colon Clenz, Aloe Vera capsules.
7. Were you officially diagnosed? Yes What test did your doctor run? About 9 years ago, I had a sigmoidoscope and the colonoscop and they told me nothing was wrong with me, I went back 2 months ago and the GI knew immediately what it was and didn't run any more tests.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#13345 - 07/07/03 11:53 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

IBS D, I will get C if I have to go on command (samples)

At least 1 -2 sometimes 3 -6, right now I'm on medicine that is controlling the frequency

I was having D every day, an actual full blown attack was happening every couple of days

stomach cramps, belching, and gas I have a lot of anxiety from the possibility of attacks and when I get in a cycle I often get depressed

I don't remember an specific event or time. I've always had problems with gotta go gotta go right now, even in child hood. They just became more frequent a few years ago.

Ranch dressing, Whole Milk, cheese, strawberries, fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, lettuce, high fat food, fatty red meat, peanuts, popcorn, I can't think of any more off the top of my head. I know there is more

I am currently in a clinical study for a medication like Lotronex. I am in it for one year. It is helping and I can eat some forbidden food now as long as I eat it with a soluble fiber base.

Yes, colonoscopy, Upper EGD, blood work, and stool test

Yes at times it does and it also cause quite a bit of anxiety. I have hard time committing to things and actually
going places.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by Laurie (07/07/03 12:08 PM)

#13351 - 07/07/03 12:30 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Mostly D, can be progressive during the day from nasty C to violent D.
Anywhere from every 3 days to 8 times a day
At least 3 times aweek
4. What other symptoms do you have?
general malaise, headaches, major lower back pain, depression, anxiety, reflux/heartburn, bloating, gas, cramps, fatigue...
5. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger?
Started 13 years ago in high school. I think it started because of contaminated town water, then continued for a multitude of personal reasons (although at 14, I was unaware of their long term impact!).
6. What foods can't you tolerate?
Pineapple, coconut, anything corn related, onions, raw veggies, have cut all meat out of my diet, greasy foods; somedays, I think if I just look at any food the wrong way, it will come attack me later...
7. What are you currently taking for IBS?
A lot of sick days ...Levsin SL, on desipramine for depression which helps the D
8. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run?
Yes, had flex sig (which showed some tissue with "Crohn's tendancy"), blood tests, 2 upper GI w/ sm. bowel follows, colonoscopy, was hospitalized once and the a**holes actually tested me for laxative abuse b/c of the constant D
Yes, the isolation that it brings can be unbearable. Thank God for an amazing husband and family. Otherwise I would not be here.

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#13415 - 07/07/03 08:17 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

C with occasional D if I have been C for a while and have a severe attack.

Once every day now thanks to Heather's advice

Severe attacks are infrequent now as long as I stick to my diet, exercise etc but I do suffer from uncomfortable symptoms on a daily basis, in particular gas and bloating.

Nausea, bloating, gas. Depression/anxiety has been a problem in the past but this is much better since using Hypno tapes.

I think I have had it mildly since childhood but it became severe about 2 years ago after a bad bout of Gastro and use of fertility drugs.

5. What foods can't you tolerate? Any and all of the trigger foods listed in Eating for IBS as well as soycheese if it contains casein.

Benefiber, acidophilus, fennel tea, exercise, yoga, hypno tapes.

7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? Yes, blood tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy.

8. Do you suffer from depression.

At times, but hey life goes on, we only get one and need to make the most of what we have.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13428 - 07/07/03 10:22 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; i AM d, I don't go everyday(but not constipated), I get smelly gas, and regular gas, when I get empty it hurts my midsection and I feel everything in my midsection. I am a lot better than I was so, no, I am not frustrated. Is this enough info, I couldn't remember all the questions.

Re: POLL: Thanks for thinking of this - it helps. new
      #13437 - 07/08/03 04:21 AM
Crow

Reged: 05/31/03
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

C only so far.

Once every 3-4 days

Mostly daily with varying intensity.

Mild nausea, back pains, gas, bloating, anxiety and fatigue.

Diagnosed January 2003. Triggered by stress due to personal problems, work and deaths of two close colleagues at work.

Fatty foods, onion, dairy and not completely sure yet due to only having the problem for six months.

Metamucil only so far and experimenting with lots of products. Can't take peppermint tea as I have esophagitis and chamomile seems to give me worse pain. I am going to try acupuncture and possibly yoga + get off my butt and walk more.

Yes, I had endoscopy, colonoscopy, blood tests, urinalysis, ct scan, ultrasound. The gastro said he ran every possible test he could and eliminated every other possibility to the "best of his professional ability" (I hope he's good!).

It does. I get very anxious at times especially with some of the pains that occur, but something normally happens that makes me think things could be a lot worse and I should be thankful.

#13442 - 07/08/03 06:09 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

It used to be D when I was in my teens/early twenties but now it's C.

Once every other day or so. If I'm lucky.

Constant. I live with this condition every day.

BLOATING, nausea, stomach cramps, backache.

It started in my mid-teens but has gotten much worse lately due to stress (caring for elderly relatives).

Fatty foods, caffeine, Chinese food. Wheat. I found out a long time ago that I had a hard time digesting meat. I only found Heather's book about a month or so ago so I'm still experimenting with trigger foods.

Am about to give Citrucel another try - I got so constipated the first time I laid off it for awhile. Peppermint tea. Phazyme.

When I started having abdominal and back pains this spring I went to my ob/gyn and he ran tests and ruled out female problems (cysts, fibroids, cancers). Blood work was also normal, so my regular doctor diagnosed IBS. I will likely have a colonoscopy this fall, but since I've had symptoms for about twenty years without knowing what it was, he is pretty confident it's IBS.

YES!

#13485 - 07/08/03 10:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

1. Type of IBS.
Without Mira-Lax extreme C, with Mira-Lax mostly D

Without Mira-Lax MAYBE about once every 10-14 days! With Mira-Lax it varies from 0 to 2-3.

I am uncomfotable most every day. When I get what I call an "attack" it usually last for 1-2 weeks with severe pain, bloating, nausea and, of cours, gas. Luckily it only gets that bad every few months.

4. What was the first trigger?
Not sure

5. What foods can't you tolertate?
fatty and fried foods, cheese(soy and rice are ok) Still working on this one!

6. What are you currently taking?
Mira-Lax every day, 4 fibercon, 4 cirtucel, and Lexapro

7. Were you offically diagnosed? What test did your doctor run?
Yes. I was about 15. Ultra-sounds, barrium enema, colonscopy, laproscope

8. Does your ibs depress you?
Yes, but the Lexapro is helping.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#13511 - 07/08/03 01:08 PM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

Michelle I'm taking Lexapro too. Do you like it? My doc prescribed it fro anxiety and depression and it helped the IBS at the beginning and now I'm bad again. What about you?

Quote:

1. Type of IBS.
Without Mira-Lax extreme C, with Mira-Lax mostly D

Without Mira-Lax MAYBE about once every 10-14 days! With Mira-Lax it varies from 0 to 2-3.

I am uncomfotable most every day. When I get what I call an "attack" it usually last for 1-2 weeks with severe pain, bloating, nausea and, of cours, gas. Luckily it only gets that bad every few months.

4. What was the first trigger?
Not sure

5. What foods can't you tolertate?
fatty and fried foods, cheese(soy and rice are ok) Still working on this one!

6. What are you currently taking?
Mira-Lax every day, 4 fibercon, 4 cirtucel, and Lexapro

7. Were you offically diagnosed? What test did your doctor run?
Yes. I was about 15. Ultra-sounds, barrium enema, colonscopy, laproscope

8. Does your ibs depress you?
Yes, but the Lexapro is helping.

#13519 - 07/08/03 01:54 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm mainly C.
one to two times a week
Once a month - usually related to my period or when I eat a trigger food.
3. What other symptoms do you have? Nauseas, stomach pain, gas, and bloating.
I've had it since my teens and than it was called a nervous stomach.
Wheat, nuts, most fruits, chocolate, no high fat dairy (can tolerate some low fat dairy), most red meat.
Citrucel, Paxil for anxiety, Nexium for GERD and Levsin as needed.
Yes and I had every test done.
Not anymore!! I have my diet under control and I feel so much better!!

Re: POLL: Thanks for thinking of this - it helps. CarlaVeg new
      #13520 - 07/08/03 01:59 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I do find its helping at least keep me "even" as far as my tempermant goes, which in turns does help the IBS. Only been on it about 10 days so maybe a little too early to tell. I'm sorry your not feeling well again but I don't think I would give up on the Lexapro, are you sure something else didn't set you off? How long have you been on it?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#13528 - 07/08/03 04:45 PM
annie

Reged: 07/08/03
Loc: Washington, DC

1. Type of IBS, D, C or Both? I'm mainly D but I also get C.
I'M THE SAME.

2. How many times do you go to the bathroom a day? From 2 to 4 to None.

GOODNESS, AT LEAST SIX TIMES A DAY, SOMETIMES AS MUCH AS 20.
3. How often do you get an attack? I have IBS almost everyday of my life :ALMOST EVERY DAY, THOUGH I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONTROL IT AND SOMETIMES GONE WEEKS WITHOUT
3. What other symptoms do you have? Nauseas, stomach cramps, belching, gas, and these have caused anxiety and some depression.
CRAMPS, HEMORRHOIDS.
4. When did you first got IBS, what was the trigger? I got it 1 year ago. Personal problems were the trigger. NO IDEA. I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.
5. What foods can't you tolerate? Milk, TVP (soy) but tofu is ok, oils, Indian food, spicy food.
CANNOT DO MOST VEGETABLES AND FRUITS.
6. What are you currently taking for IBS? CITRUCEL

7. Were you officially diagnosed? What test did your doctor run? YES - AFTER TWO COLONOSCOPIES AND COUNTLESS BLOOD TESTS MY DOCTOR RULED OUT COLITIS AND CROHNS.

#13594 - 07/09/03 07:53 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

I am mainly C, but alternate with D. The pain with the D is the worst!

For the first time in my life, I go 1 or 2x when I wake up and then I'm done. This has only been since I started the fiber supplements. Before that, I has pebbles (and gas ) all day for several days, then pain, then D.

I have improved tremendously since I started Heather's diet. I used to have symptoms everyday, and then actual attacks every two weeks or so. They would last for 2 or 3 weeks. It sucked!

Again, symptoms have all but disappeared, but it used to be nausea, pain, pressure, bloating, urgency. Now it's just urgency and some gas.

I have always been constipated, and have always been sensitive to greasy foods, but the trouble really started 2 years ago after a bad reaction to buffet food in Las Vegas (while on a romantic 10th anniversary trip- so much for the romance, huh?!?!)

fatty foods, artificial sweeteners (diet soda gives me the runs!), gassy veggies, soy milk

Citrucel in the am, benefiber in the pm (for some reason, citrucel agrees with me in the morning but makes me gassy/bloated at night), acidophilus, Prozac. The fiber supps have been the number 1 most effective tool so far.

I've had a CT done, also had my gall bladder checked. My doc told me I have IBS after asking tons of questions and
reviewing the test resuls.

Yes! BUT IT'S GETTING BETTER, thanks to fiber supps, eating (mainly) safe foods, and the Prozac. I used to be practically housebound, but now I can leave with very little worry or anxiety. My life has improved SO MUCH since I started Heather's diet. I still worry some about "unknown" foods and gas problems (when I get nervous I get gas!)

#13683 - 07/09/03 10:15 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi everyone,

My IBS is mainly C and a lot of gas/bloating(intestinal).

I'm lucky that I don't have to run to the bathroom very much.

I experience the gass every day, and c not as often.

I have experienced nausea, bloating/gas/pains, and anxiety about leaving home.
I believe I've had IBS since childhood. When I was a teenager it grew worse. I feel my anxieties and depressrion were triggers, but I also feel it is inherited.

I can't handle dairy product, including caesin and whey, glutin, whole wheat, corn, all raw fruits and veggetables, egg yolks, cold things and nuts.

I try to take extra calcium. I take bentyl, citrucel, just started phazyme, a lot of herbal teas, and ginger supplements.

I had a flexsigmoid done. I have not had a colonoscopy or any allergy tests done yet.
Yes, having IBS is very depressing. I love food, and it's so hard not to eat my farvorite foods. But I'm tired of suffering!
Cloudygirl

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review