All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any Gluten Free eaters?
      #132761 - 12/23/04 07:03 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I follow a GF diet in addition to the IBS diet. I am IBS-C for a while now. Anyhow, it would be helpful to me if anyone who follows a GF diet could identify themselves and share why they decided to go GF. Has going GF helped you?

Also, examples of GF and IBS food plan ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to eat for B,L,D so my selection has been very restrictive.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Gluten Free eaters? new
      #132765 - 12/23/04 07:23 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Beth,

I'm celiac and IBS d. I found I was celiac before finding out about the IBS. I eat pretty normally, usually g/f corn flakes and rice milk or my substitute for oatmeal - just posted - for breakfast. At work I keep stores of puffed rice or millet and rice milk, in case of a really bad day, rice crackers, corn thins, etc. Also g/f biscuits for the odd treat such as coconut cookies. I usually buy or bring cooked chicken and some salad things and keep them here at work and make toasted sandwiches for lunch. The bread comes from a health food store, and is usually a rice bread. I've also just added a rice cooker to our kitchen and have steamed rice with leftovers.

I also keep a supply of teas and cranberry juice here at work and at home and drink lots of water.

Dinner is chicken or fish and vegies always with either a large jacket potato or rice. I like to grill fish, make slow cooker meals, stir fry chicken, etc. Unfortunately I cannot tolerate dairy at all, so this is a bit of a problem.

Have a look on the recipe site and do a search for g/f. I know Candy is G/f among others and she seems to be an ace cook.

Hope this helps.

Bevp

#134572 - 01/03/05 08:25 AM
Lisa S

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: Nova Scotia

Hi Beth,
I have been eating a gluten free diet for several years to help with my rheumatoid arthritis. When I go into remission I often fall off the wagon and start eating it again. Big mistake. It makes me irritable, bloated, anxious and constipated! I'm Gf again but now would like to follow this IBS diet because of gallbladder and IBS symptoms. I am also corn free, sugar free and dairy free. Yikes! I'm having some trouble! It's mostly snack time and breakfast that pose the biggest trouble. How about you? What are your challenges?

Good luck, Lisa S

#134631 - 01/03/05 10:50 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Augie you already know I'm gluten free. (celiac) I am in the same boat you are - just starting out. I don't know if it's wishful thinking but, I'm starting to feel a little better already. I also can't eat dairy, much fats, sugar (diabetes) and shell fish. I know they say now that you can eat sugar on a diabetic diet I just chose not to waste my carbs on it. Truth be told it also upset my tummy a little and gives me a headache.

Sorry for rambling.

Love,

Jamie

#134643 - 01/03/05 11:13 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi, Beth,
I've been GF for several years--or at least I've tried to be! I've had some missteps along the way, since gluten is so prevalent in processed foods. My digestive system got much better for a while after I eliminated gluten, although I have tested negative for celiac disease on all available tests thus far. Apparently I'm just gluten intolerant.

My husband has become a fabulous GF baker! He uses a book by Bette Hagman "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy". It has a fabulous recipe for fat-free French bread in it. Tastes like the real thing. If you can tolerate the ingredients (rice flour, tapioca, potato starch), it's wonderful, and makes great toast for breakfast. There is also an excellent recipe for foccacia bread. We also get a magazine called "Living Without" that has terrific recipes in it. http://www.livingwithout.com/

The Gluten Free Pantry sells some great mixes for such things as pancakes, various breads and cakes. I've had really good luck with them. www.glutenfreepantry.com

For breakfast, I have found a number of GF cereals; my favorites are Rice Crunch'Ems and Corn Crunch'Ems by Health Valley. I eat them with rice or soy milk. Be careful of Rice Dream brand though -- it has gluten in it.

Writing this is making me a little sad at this point -- after having good luck with being GF for a number of years, I started having severe D about 18 months ago. Being GF hasn't helped. So I'm currently removing all grains from my diet to see what happens (as well as going through various testing). It's possible I have a sensitivity to more than just gluten. I can still get soluble fiber from cooked carrots, winter squash, pumpkin, applesauce, etc. But I'll sure miss the great GF baked goods I have been eating! Try some of them out and see if they work for you!

Good luck!
Judith

#134775 - 01/03/05 07:19 PM
Augie

I didn't know GF helped RA. Interesting! I also have GB problems (slow, nonfunctioning) and of cours the dreaded IBS!

Why are you corn, and sugar free? Did you have any type of testing for allergies. You know we can have corn product (baked chips, corn cereals,etc) and sugar on the IBS diet. But no dairy of course

Problem for me is I don't know my triggers! I can't figure out what is hurting me and what isn't because I hurt and have C all the time! The GF diet has not helped with bloating or gas one bit And has increased the Constipation!

For breakfast I usually have cream of brown rice by Lundberg, Bob Red Mills MIghty tasty GF cereal (yummy) or cooked quinoa Flakes, not the regular kind, but the flakes that look like oatmeal. Oh Bob's RM does have corn in it so that's out for you. I usually put some cooked fruit in it, like papaya or blueberries, or canned peaches.

Snacks are Kettle Krisps Low Fat potatoe chips, Rice Flakes cereal, plain rice crackers, envirokidz organic crispy rice bars (yummy peanut butter flavor) with canned fruit. And for me corn cereal dry.

Keep in touch. I love talking to other GF eaters. Give me some ideas of what your meal plan looks like. Do you bake any GF breads with the rice flours?

--------------------
~ Beth

#135220 - 01/05/05 09:02 AM
Lisa S

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: Nova Scotia

Hi Beth!
It's nice talking to other people with the same difficulties! Would you believe this is only my third time ever participating in a message board - all in three days? HOw cool is that?!
To answer your question I am corn and sugar free because I know they bother my arthritis. I was diagnosed about ten years ago in my mid-twenties. Over the past decade, I have been experimenting off and on with eating plans to help with the RA. I have gone to several naturopaths and I even had NAET treatment for my sensitivities. I'm getting pretty good at knowing what I can tolerate, when, and how much. It's hard to get to know your triggers. I finally had to resort to a food diary. Have you tried that? I soon realized that I also had to record any stress I felt, the weather and what time of my cycle I was in. All these things affect me. (By the way, do you take any over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen? I find they really create C! As do calcium supplements.)
What do I eat? Well, I don't bake my rice bread, but I do buy a cinnamon raisin one that I love for breakfast toasted. I usually eat some type of homemade soup for lunch and supper I find quite easy - usually salad or grilled vegetables and meat. Snacks: rice cakes, homemade muffins, fruit, rice pudding made with soy milk, etc. I'm going to make the black bean brownies that I saw posted here this afternoon.
Anyway, nice chatting. Sorry I rambled.

Lisa new
      #135257 - 01/05/05 10:22 AM
Augie

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the reply. This place is the best for info from others in the same boat!

What is NAET treatment? Did the naturopaths help figure out triggers, like corn, or did you pretty much find most success by doing it yourself? I don't know if it would be a waste of money to get ELISA food testing done or not.
I have tried keeping a food diary, but found that I could eat the same thing on different occasions and have problems one time and not the next! I havn't found a way to do the food diary with success yet. What or who helped with finding your sensitivities the most?

What brand cinamon raisin toast do you get? That sounds good! I usually get Kinnick Kinnick white sandwhich bread but think this may be contributing to my C and maybe should try something else. Surprised the raisins don't bother you.
What type of soup do you make? If it contains veggies, don't you need to add rice or eat bread with it for soluble fiber?

Do you have any good recipes for homemade soups or muffins too? Please feel free to email me (see my profile). I would love some recipes from you.

Thanks for the info, Lisa

Finally, where did you find the bean brownie recipe, on the recipe board? And they are gluten free? Doesn't bean cause gas?

--------------------
~ Beth

NAET--was it helpful? new
      #135266 - 01/05/05 10:34 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Lisa,
I've looked into NAET some and I wondered if you had found it helpful. Can you tell me more about your experience?

Judith

Looking for an IBS safe GF Brown rice bread new
      #136312 - 01/08/05 10:31 AM
Augie

What is a safe brown rice bread brand? I am thinking maybe all the white rice in the breads may be contributing to my C but cannot find a brand that doesn't contain either whole seed (bad) or made with fruit juice like apple, pear, grape concentrate which I know can be triggers (fuctose thing). Any suggestions?

Or do you guys think the white rice bread is fine even thoug Constipated. I do eat 2 pieces with lunch for a sandwhich (easy portable) and a roll for dinner everynight!

Thanks for feedback.

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (01/08/05 01:13 PM)

Re: Lisa-bump -nt new
      #138105 - 01/13/05 02:00 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2030

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review