All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal, ugh
      #132655 - 12/23/04 11:19 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Three days on the diet, feeling fabulous, got cocky and had some oatmeal. I'm GF, but figured I could take it; after all, oatmeal is one of those questionable foods that GFer's might be able to handle. Oh, poor me. 10 minutes later and I have the nasty heavy feeling in my gut that's been conspicuously missing the last three days. I went from feeling energetic and optimistic to tired, depressed, lethargic and of course, bloated.

Does anyone have a quick fix to this????

Jen

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal, ugh new
      #132692 - 12/23/04 01:46 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I'm fairly new to the boards so forgive me, but what is GF? I looked on the list of abbreviations, but couldn't find it.

But about oatmeal, I am IBS-D and oatmeal makes me bloat up and then I get D in about one half to one hour. Happens almost every time. Cream of rice and wheat don't do that do me so I usually stick with them.

Cindy

#132701 - 12/23/04 02:18 PM
shandy

Thanks for the camaderie... I guess the blessing is the knowledge I now have about yet another food I can't eat.

GF = Gluten Free - can't eat wheat, or apparently, oatmeal.

Jen

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#132704 - 12/23/04 02:25 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Jen - when I start to feel icky, I start pumping peppermint/fennel tea in myself and relax with my heating pad.

Hope you feel better soon. On the bright side - at least you know what's causing it so you won't eat it again.

hot cereal is something I skip... new
      #132723 - 12/23/04 04:01 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the only one I ever liked was buckwheat and I tried it once.. and bloated like a balloon evne thought I had made it with safe rice milk- took mroe then 2 days to go down and I literally looked 9 months pregnant forget the 5/6 most oopses do to me!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#132751 - 12/23/04 06:26 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Have you tried Cooked quinoa flakes breakfast cereal, or Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. Both are GF. I eat both as I too follow a GF diet. I am thinking about trying oatmeal. Right now I am C so oatmeal might be okay for me, who knows. All a try and see game.

Do you have Celiac Disease as well as IBS?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#132762 - 12/23/04 07:08 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Jen, I haven't posted for a while but I am celiac. For an oatmeal substitute, I use a combination of puffed amaranth and rolled rice, sometimes called rice flakes. You can use either of these separately or together. I find that together, half and half, makes a good combination. I just put in water, 3 mins in the microwave, then add milk (rice milk for me).

I get my supplies from a health food store. Here in Oz you can get hot cereal from the supermarket, but they all seem to have some kind of dried fruit - which gives me bloating and d. Check our the health food aisles of the larger supermarkets.

Regards,
Bevp

#132891 - 12/24/04 04:22 PM
shandy

I don't think I'm Celiac - just have an incredibly sensitive digestive system. I can't eat soy either - in any form or any quantity. It's nearly impossible to eat out since everything (and I mean everything) is cooked in soybean oil these days. Although... I just figured out I can do sushi if I avoid the soy sauce! Yippeee! I can date again!

I do like quinoa, although I don't think it digests too well either - something about the little pods. It's funny how you KNOW when something is bad for you - I try to convince myself it isn't (e.g. oatmeal), but then get sick.

When I get "sick", I get a heavy, toxic feeling in my gut that is very uncomfortable, but not really painful. It happens within a half hour of eating, and feels as if I could just "go", it would be okay. Is this an IBS reaction or something different? I keep reading how true IBS causes PAIN, which I don't have... But I'm definitely miserable when I have an episode.

RAmbling on here on Christmas Eve. Having a good day though! Eating rice, rice, yams, rice, more rice.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#132925 - 12/25/04 01:12 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I find that when IBS doesn't cause pain, it can cause "yurgh", that gross feeling which doesn't exactly hurt, but definitely isn't pleasant.

Yeah, I know that feeling! I seem to get it no matter what I eat for breakfast.

--------------------
*Emma*

#132926 - 12/25/04 02:07 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Quote:

When I get "sick", I get a heavy, toxic feeling in my gut that is very uncomfortable, but not really painful. It happens within a half hour of eating, and feels as if I could just "go", it would be okay. Is this an IBS reaction or something different?

Oh MAN, that is a great description for IBS. I get exactly what you wrote, and the (thankfully) occasional extreme pains...but that was before I started to watch what I eat.

I've discovered that oatmeal, cream of wheat and buckwheat aren't good for me...at all. Yeesh.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1409

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review