All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question-weight
      #132508 - 12/22/04 06:54 PM
KellyAnn21

Reged: 11/12/04
Loc: PA

Hey Everyone. I have been doing this IBS diet for about 3 weeks and havent gotten really sick once (knock on wood)... but i have gained weight. I know that with this diet you do tend to eat more carbs/ bread and all.. I just can definately notice a difference in my weight and I'm freaking out. Has this happened to many of you guys and if so will exercise be the only way to help? I was going to try to not eat as much at all but I remember reading that you should eat snacks a lot so your stomach in never empty... can someone please just give me some advice on how to lose weight with this diet. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question-weight new
      #132509 - 12/22/04 07:09 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

blaa yes i've gained weight too.. I am desperate to lose it.. but of course its the holidays and I keep throwing back the xmas cookies. haha hopefully i'll have better luck in january..

Can anyone help us??

--------------------

#132519 - 12/22/04 08:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ashley is right, it is the holidays and average Americans gain 7 pounds! But really the diet should cause weight loss in that you eat so low in fat and can't have treats. So temptations of before are resisted now. Frankly some people complain of losing weight on it and some of gaining weight- whichever they don't want is what happens. The best thing to do is cut portion size and try to eat your solubles but focus on those with less calories and stay away from baked goods even if they are homebaked.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#132679 - 12/23/04 01:00 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all! It's been an age since I was on these boards, and I've missed them. Anyway, I'm trying to lose weight as well, and of course Heather's diet, while nutritionally sound, contains more carbs and breads than most weight loss programs think you should have. I go with Heather's, since she knows what she's talking about where it comes to IBS. However, and maybe this has been commented on before, I find exercise is helping my tummy. Is this normal, or not? As I've engaged in a regular exercise program, and more regular eating, my symptoms have calmed. I know the eating is most of it, but has anyone else noticed that exercise helps them? Alicia

Losing weight on IBS diet... new
      #132687 - 12/23/04 01:27 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

make sure you watch your calories! Carbs give you energy and are fuel for your body, calories make you gain weight.
Some foods taht are safe are gonna be higher in cals then others. Pretzels are my safe food of choice, but they are high in calories, so I will count out a serving of them and take them with me to work or wherever so that I know how much I am eating. If I go at the bag, the whole thing will be gone beofre I realize it! (Rice cakes are a good low cal safe snack)
You don't need to constantly eat, I think you are supposed to be more careful to eat regulary and smaller meals instead of waiting til you are starving to eat.
If you focus on eating the requirements of the food pyramid, your health will probably stabilize. It did for me, I gained, but I needed to.
But, having weight in the wrong places will not go away without exercise! Even though I am the perfect weight now, I still have love handles and alittle belly! So I am doing lots of cardio exercise to lose it, and weight exercises to add muscle nback on where I am losing the fat.

And sister dawn, exercise DOES help! heather even says it herself. The more I work out, the more I lose symptoms. I do not even have to be extrememly careful with my solouble/insolouble ratio anymore (although I know I am taking a risk anytime I do that). Triggers are still outta the question, though! If you are C, exercise should help ALOT.

hope I helped anyone!

--------------------
-Sheri

#132700 - 12/23/04 02:16 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

YES!! Exercise helps my IBS tons! Plus it helps my wobbly bits! LOL Seriously, my tummy feels so much better when I keep up with my exercise. It inspires me to work out even more than maintaining weight/keeping toned.

#132702 - 12/23/04 02:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I agree with Little Minnie. Try eating your safe stuff, but watching your calories. Usually the sweet stuff (sweet breads, muffins) have more calories because of the sugar.

I've actually lost weight new
      #132763 - 12/23/04 07:11 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I've lost about 40 - 45 pounds. Carbs aren't the problem as long as portion are good. Working out wasn't even really a part of that. I am trying to add in more workouts now - just to be more toned and for the health benefits - but the diet itself hasn't made me fat at all. I do have to watch those ADB brownies and all those lovely bread recipes though!

Exercise Question new
      #132764 - 12/23/04 07:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What type of exercise is helpful for IBS-C? Walking? or something more physical? Weightlifting? Stretching? I should try something to help this C get going!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I've actually lost weight new
      #132858 - 12/24/04 11:10 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Me too. I have lost one pound a week steadily every week for the last two months. It doesn't sound a lot, but I haven't even been trying to diet. Usually when I do try, I lose a lot in the first week then struggle to keep it off, so this seems pretty good to me.

I think the reason is that I have cut out a lot of high fat foods (cheese, chocolate, biscuits, danish pastries, etc) and also reduced portion sizes a bit - that seems to help with bloating. I didn't set out to eat less at first, but taking SFS before a meal helps me to feel satisfied sooner. If I'm hungry between meals I have some bread or banana, so I'm definitely not starving myself.

I don't have a problem with eating too many ADBs or any of Heather's other delicious cake recipes, for the simple reason that I am such rubbish at baking, I haven't made anything fit to eat yet!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review