All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help--I still inhale my food
      #132353 - 12/22/04 10:29 AM
mom4

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: central michigan

I learned to eat fast with the arrival of my kids and now I can't seem to slow down when I eat my meals. I try but not very successfully. Heather's diet is awesome and I think would work even better if I could slow down. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help--I still inhale my food new
      #132370 - 12/22/04 10:58 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

This might sound a little simplistic but, try putting your fork or spoon down between eat bite. That should help. I know it's supposed to help dieters trying to eat less.

Just a thought...hope it helps.

Love, Jamie

#133932 - 12/31/04 06:11 AM
mom4

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: central michigan

Thanks I'll try it. I'll try anything to maintain control and live life out of the bathroom.

#133957 - 12/31/04 07:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I used to be an "inhaler" too, and I'm trying to think of what I did to break the habit... and I'm having a hard time thinking this morning. LOL The putting-your-fork-down suggestion is a good one. I think I also just forced myself to be mindful when I ate - chewed every bite thoroughly and swallowed it before I took another bite. It does sound really simplistic, but it was REALLY hard at first... eventually, it does get easier.

Something I do now to maintain that is to eat small meals/snacks often, so that I'm never really hungry. I always found that when I let myself get absolutely ravenous, I was more prone to wolfing down something - and overeating.

I know this probably isn't the most helpful stuff... if I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Re: I still inhale my food (joke alert) new
      #133958 - 12/31/04 07:40 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I used to train horses. Now and then you get one that will gobble its food fast, and various problems can result from that. A common cure is to put the horse's grain in a big pan and then put several baseball-size rocks in the grain. The horse has to spend a lot of time pushing the rocks around and out of the way in order to eat all the grain.

Re: I still inhale my food (joke alert) new
      #133997 - 12/31/04 10:18 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm laughing, but that made me think of something: I absolutely HATE lima beans - always have, too. I remember my mother serving the mixed vegetables that have limas in them, and I also remember how much TIME I would take to painstakingly remove every single bean and fragment from my plate before I would eat the vegetables or anything that touched them. LOL! I'm sure I was taking twice as long to eat as I normally did.

So maybe you're onto something! Mix something you hate in with your food!

#134023 - 12/31/04 01:43 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! I inhale my food too. Now I just eat with a smaller fork. I even eat oatmeal (if I'm being bad, oatmeal isn't on my safe foods list) with a fork. Looks funny, but it really works. If you have a fish fork, use that instead of your regular fork. It's cheaper and less aggressive than getting your stomach stapled.

I like the rocks idea. I can just see it, Nelly what the hell is in your mashed potatoes?

~nelly~

I do the same thing! new
      #134206 - 01/01/05 03:09 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Try chewing each bite 25 times. That'll slow you down.

#134227 - 01/01/05 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I wolf my food too. I don't like when it gets cold so I use a warm plate; one hot from the dishwasher or heated in the oven helps me slow down when the food stays hot. Sometimes I eat lunch at the computer too which makes it hard to eat fast.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1699 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1511

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review