All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Scared and in pain! Help? Anyone?
      #132175 - 12/21/04 02:23 PM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

This is by far the worst attack of IBS I've ever had and it's been going on for over a week straight. I was doubled over in pain for 3 nights in a row, suffering with gas that I could not get out. I only FINALLY got relief when I had a very constipated bowel movement. I have been bloated, been having spasms in my lower abdomen and am miserable. I finally went to the dr yesterday, who was concerned that I might have had a partial small bowel obstruction. Thankfully the x-rays came back okay, no obstruction, just a bad flare of IBS. I just started taking enteric coated peppermint capsules and drinking tummy mint tea with fennel in it. I am also following the diet posted in here, eating small meals low in fat all day, trying to minimise my stress and drinking lots of water. I also take chewble fiber pills, as I am always constipated. I take acidophilus pills daily for the past 5 months, but nothing has really helped. I also have VERY loud bowel sounds, like a mix between gurgling and musical noises. I have gas 24/7, relieved for a little while by having a bowel movement. Sorry, I don't mean to ramble on, but I can't take one more night in pain, which is when it starts for some reason, around midnight. Is there anything I can take(NON-prescription)that will help me right away, other than what I am taking? I live on gas-x, too.
I don't drink, smoke, eat many fatty foods, but I am a highly stressed person and this year has been a trial of health problems and surgeries for me. The only thing that I can think of that triggered this flare, was I had a margarita about a week ago, and I never drink. By the next day I could not get off the toilet, and that is when all of this tummy stuff started. It's better during the day, most of the time, but I fear the night and don't get much sleep..

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared and in pain! Help? Anyone? new
      #132179 - 12/21/04 02:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards. I"m so sorry for the pain and misery you are suffering. You are among friends here. The best thing I would suggest is to go on the when you can't eat anything diet for a couple of days. This will give your body a break and hopefully allow you to stabilize. web page After that, carefully add insoluble foods into your diet. As for the chewable fiber pills, if they're not doing anything positive, I'd ditch them. A better fiber supplement is out there fore you. Try acacia, benefiber, equalactin (wal mart). There are some better brands. A lot of the normal fiber supplements can only make things worse for you. It's important to get on the right supplement.
Keep up with your peppermint tea. It truly is a lifesaver. Add the fennel as you are doing. Type back in a couple of days and let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Scared and in pain! Help? Anyone? *DELETED* new
      #132239 - 12/21/04 07:52 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Well said, Shelby! new
      #132242 - 12/21/04 08:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I totally agree with everything you said! I too have and still do find myself lying in pain wondering how much longer I will be able to handle this constant pain. Yes, mine has been chronic too for years.

The people on the board are great. Ask any question. And I mean any question, and someone will reach out if they can help in any way. Lots of angels on this board!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#132245 - 12/21/04 08:10 PM
jamiep

Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

I just wanted to say hi and I understand what your going through. I also have IBSC and am going through a bad place right now. I have no words of wisdom. I know you're in the right place for help and there seems to be alot of caring people here. I hope you get some relief soon.

Love,

Jamie

#132246 - 12/21/04 08:11 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Sorry to hear you are so miserable. Is there a reason you are avoiding prescription meds? Hyoscamine (brand name Levsin, or Nulev), and Pamine, along with others, have been helpful to many people here. In my case I take Hyoscamine, but only as needed. I find it to be pretty helpful, although I do get drowsy.
If you stick to the diet to the letter, no cheating, you will begin to notice relief. Also you might want to do the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet until you stabilize.
Feel better!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Well said, Shelby! new
      #132296 - 12/22/04 05:59 AM
jujubeeof2

Thanks so much for the help and kind words! I have been following the diet now for 2 days, and while I am still very gassy and bloated on and off, I am not in pain like I was those 3 nights. I actually was able to get out of the house yesterday without wanting to just lay on the couch, on my side with a heating pad over my gut. I think the biggest thing that is helping me is eating at very regular intervals, but small meals. I'm eating very slowly and doing deep breathing, too. I must say that the pepogest and tummy mint tea with fennel are really helping to expel the gas. Once I get the gas out I feel significant relief! I did take MOM last night, only a tablespoon, but it caused me to have diarreah this morning. If I take half that dose it's much better. I don't know which is worse, the runs or being constipated(which I am on a daily basis and have to strain my brains out to go). Neither bring me all that much relief after I visit the toilet. I went out yesterday and shopped for foods that I could eat and read every label. I was amazed at how much junk is in some of the stuff I've been eating that could trigger an attack of IBS, mainly dairy for me. I seem to get very sick after consuming anything dairy. I also got very sick after eating a handful of almonds. Must have been the fat content? Anyways, I am SO grateful for this site. It's a blessing and so are you people that have helped me! I hope to be able to share what helps me along the way with others, like you have helped me. Oh, btw, someone asked why I don't take the levsin? I have a urinary problem that already causes me to retain urine, so I can't take anything where the side effects list "possible difficulty with urination", I wish I could, but I'm scared to go into retention, as that is very painful as well. Is there anything totally natural that has similar effects on calming the gut? The pepogest and tea gets the gas out, but what about for the spasms?

--------------------

jujubeeof2 *DELETED* new
      #132495 - 12/22/04 05:06 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

#132498 - 12/22/04 05:18 PM
avril

Reged: 12/16/04
Loc: england

hi! I have found the soluble fiber great but cannot find a pill form in the UK anyone got any ideas? This is a big problem for me

Re: jujubeeof2 new
      #132503 - 12/22/04 06:22 PM
jujubeeof2

Thanks for the post! I have had a rough day today with gas again, but at least I can get it out, for the most part. I just looked at the pepogest I'm taking, and it has soy in it. I wonder if I can't handle soy either. It seems like not eating regularly bothers me the most. I also think I took too much milk of magnesia last night, because I had the runs this morning, but then have felt very gassy all day long. I'm afraid to NOT take it though, as being constipated is way worse! I feel I can't win. I went and bought fennel seeds today, but they aren't helping yet. I have drank 2 cups of my tummy mint tea, and it's not helping either, but I have had a very stressful day today too, so that's not helping much. I feel like I'm starving, but I'm afraid to eat anything. It's all causing me to have gas, no matter what I eat..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review