All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sody Pop
      #131074 - 12/16/04 01:46 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Why is soda/pop so bad for IBS? What do caffeine and carbonation do to one's colon? Heather listed it as one of the three worst beverages for someone with IBS to consume. (That makes me sad. ) Has anyone with IBS been able to tolerate soda/pop (depending on where you live)?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sody Pop new
      #131166 - 12/16/04 04:44 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Caffeine is a trigger, carbonation causes bloating, and plus it's got a lot of artificial ingredients.

Having said that - I sometimes indulge in ginger ale. When I'm stable and not on an empty stomach.

Re: Sody Pop-MY SUGGESTIONS for limited safe consumption................. new
      #131225 - 12/16/04 11:23 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear lobtress;
Here's my advice:I've been able to tolerate DECAFFINATED soda fairly well a)provided I'm stable,b)it's NOT ice cold-this is critical,trust me-it needs to be no colder then cool water from the tap,c)you drink it SLOWLY-chugging it down is fatal,it's like pumping gas into your colon-SIP it,you'll enjoy it better anyway like that,and d)YOU DON'T DRINK IT TOO OFTEN,NO MORE THEN TWICE A WEEK. Personally,I think it's the COMBINATION of the caffiene,the carbonation and the fact that it's ice cold that makes soda such a lethal poison for IBS according to Heather.Those of you dying for a soda,especailly with meals-try it by my guidelines when you're stable.It goes great with my tuna sub receipe I posted at the other board.
Feedback,people?(Partically Heather,let's hear from her on this soon.........)
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

#131229 - 12/17/04 12:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Another problem with soda is the high fructose corn syrup they use to sweeten it. Since I'm not at all sensitive to HFCS, I do ginger ale now and then too, but I usually stir it to flatten it before drinking. And like Andrew mentioned, I can't do it cold, either.

(So by the time you figure you have to drink it flat and at room temperature, and never on an empty stomach, it doesn't sound half as appealing as it did, and if you're like me, you end up going for tea instead. )

#131244 - 12/17/04 05:08 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I must say, I am HORRIBLE on following this rule.

I drink caffeine-free coca-cola all the time...I've been drinking it all week!

Sometimes I don't get too bad a reaction from it, other times I won't get one at all. Then there are the times that I'm dying from it!

I know this isn't helping, but...try it in moderation for a while, see how small amounts affects you.

If you go long enough without it...you will learn not to miss it new
      #131285 - 12/17/04 07:06 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I gave up carbonated beverges for a "lent" like reason for 12 weeks. It was really difficult at first but now I don't even miss it. I may drink one coke a month.

I weaned myself off of coffee in three weeks with only one headache. I cut my consumption in half for two weeks...then half of that for a week...and then quit. The only issue was fatigue for the first week. I drink herbal tea now and rather enjoy it.

#131575 - 12/18/04 09:18 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

raven dark dont you get bloated from the soda pop? i drink 2 pepsi and i get sick. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#131597 - 12/19/04 04:34 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Occasionally...though I'm honestly not quite sure what are triggers for me. Since I always have the pepsi (or whatever) when I'm having something else, and I get reactions from the safest foods, that it could be what I'm eating that is making me sick!

I just roll with it. I figure, that if I like it, then I'll drink it, but I'll live with the consequences without complaints.

#131618 - 12/19/04 09:53 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

My husband likes to have ginger ale too. It seems to calm his stomach down. It does not appear to be a trigger for him. I don't understand that part of IBS. What bothers some is totally fine for someone else. Makes it very hard to know what is right for you. That was the biggest problem for this family four months ago. Now that he is stable he is venturing into new foods and drinks...We will see... but so far so good.

#131619 - 12/19/04 10:09 AM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I am able to tolerate soda pop pretty well up to a point. I have noticed that my limit is about 2 cans/day. If I drink much over that I begin to have problems. Another thing that I've noticed is that if I go a few days without I tend to become more C. I've found that if I drink a fair amount after that I am able to go normally. I have really become pretty intuitive about what my limits for various foods are since suffering from this affliction for several years.

Re: Sody Pop for everyone that responded................. new
      #131632 - 12/19/04 01:11 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

To Raven and the others;
I think as long the soda is decaffinated and isn't too cold-and of course,we're stable that day-then I think most of us could have it once in awhile with or after certain foods it really goes well with.For example,I can't contemplate eating tuna without a Coke.(And of course,there's the holidays,but they don't count because I eat EVERYTHING on a holiday no matter how lethal.Unless I have something coming up where I NEED to be well,I'm willing to pay the price and be ill for a week after a holiday-life's too short NOT to,let's face it!)Have to disagree with Rose on this one-but then,I'm not in her shoes and she may be much worse then me.It's everyone's choice.Sometimes fun costs you-as long as it doesn't cost you too much.
Andrew L.

#131642 - 12/19/04 03:38 PM

Unregistered

I can diet soda almost all the time..of course I get a tiny bit bloated, but that's normal for soda. s ometimes it even helps with my c

Re: If you go long enough without it...you will learn not to miss it new
      #131972 - 12/20/04 05:53 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Have to agree with Tia on this one. I almost always drink some sort of lemonaide or koolaid drink. If I'm out at a restraunt and they don't have lemonaide, only then will I order a Sprite or 7-up type drink. Sometimes just water.

I do crave caffeine in coke/pepsi once in a while, only then I will just have a sip to calm the craving. But for the most part I don't really miss soda.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Isn't lemonade too acidic for IBS folk?-nt new
      #131974 - 12/20/04 06:13 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Isn't lemonade too acidic for IBS folk?-nt new
      #132203 - 12/21/04 05:22 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Beth, you would think so but it never ever bothers my stomach. Of course neither does pizza. Go figure. I'm not an extreme IBS'r. Thank goodness.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2192

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review