All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
weight loss
      #130667 - 12/15/04 09:22 AM
Elite

Reged: 12/14/04

Has anyone else lost alot of weight on the IBS diet.

I have lost about 40 lbs in the last 9 months, from 200lbs to 160lbs. My doctor says its from a lower caloric intake. It makes me nervous, like I am not eating properly.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight loss new
      #130681 - 12/15/04 10:12 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I too have lost a lot of weight...it's really scary...

#130685 - 12/15/04 10:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I understand what you mean. I had my son in January and that's when my IBS went into high gear. I lost a total (including my baby weight) 55 pounds. I am 25 pounds thinner than I was before I got pregnant. I wasn't healthy for awhile because I didn't want to eat anything. Now I feel so much healthier eating on the IBS diet. I still am maintaining my new weight and can enjoy more now because I feel better. As long as you are taking a vitamin and still getting in your insoluble fibers you should be fine!

#130686 - 12/15/04 10:20 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

As long as you are following the guidleines, you should be fine! When I started the diet I was alittle underweight (by no means fit, either), and I lost weight at first, but then my body stabilized and i wound up gaining to be at a healthy weight for my height, the first time in my life!
make sure you eat 'the pyramid'. Chekc out Heather's book for her modified version of foods we can eat for the food groups.
I have learned in class that no one should eat under 1200 calories a day, that is a basic rule, because at that point your metabolism stops and your body knows that it is being starved.
eating spread out healthy snacks inbetween meals, or splitting up meals into six meals can help, too. As long as you are getting enough nutrients and feel healthy, I say good for you being able to lose the weight!
If you are feeling sickly due to it, there are plenty of low fat/fat free high calorie foods that are IBS safe.

--------------------
-Sheri

#130708 - 12/15/04 11:36 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I also lost alot of weight when I first started the diet. My docter was stumped because I increased my high carb foods. I explained I was drinking pop, eating chocolate and eating greasy foods. Once I put a stop to all three there went my weight. Take into consideration what you were eating previously to the diet. Those things could have been keeping weight on.

Good luck!

#130790 - 12/15/04 02:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I lost quite a bit of weight, too. *But*... considering I weighed 160 at the time and am only 5'2", I'd say that losing weight was a GOOD thing. (I'm about 120 now.)

Definitely keep in mind what you were eating before, and realize that you're eating much healthier now. The way we're eating is the way EVERYONE should be eating, IBS or not. It's perfectly normal for your weight to stabilize at something that's healthy for you when you're on this diet. As long as you're eating enough calories (as Sheri mentioned), and getting your vitamins and insolubles, you're fine!

Funny story- sort of off track. new
      #130793 - 12/15/04 02:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have lost about 12 lbs on the diet which surprises me for the amount I still have to lose, but my chubby hubby has lost 25 lbs and he isn't officially on the diet. He can't tolerate fatty food anymore. The other day I made something with maybe 2T of oil for the whole recipe and then I blotted mine and so I was fine with it, but he got all upset about the oil and was sure it would make him sick!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Funny story- sort of off track. new
      #130809 - 12/15/04 03:08 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

well, I'm 15 and have been vegetarian for three years. I've been vegan for almost a year, and I was just diagnosed a month or so ago...and since then I've dropped from a nice, comfortable 125-130, down to 115. I was 115 when I was bloated!

I'm not tall (5'3"-5'4"), but I've always been a little chunky, if you know what I mean. But I now way close to my mother's weight, and she's TINY! I hate to think of myself the same way!

Eep, I need to become stable!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review