All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
The End Of My Career Without Coffee?!?I'm desperate.................
      #130473 - 12/14/04 12:39 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Hearts;
The absolute WORST thing about having IBS is no caffiene.
I actually had to drop out of school where I was a double major in mathematics and biochemistry preparing for graduate school due to the debilitative nature of the problem.My student's life was actually aggravating the condition since a college student's typical diet is whatever you can get your hands on and as much coffee as you can swallow to keep going sharp as a tack mentally for 18 hours. I've been on the diet now for 2 months and there's been very significant improvement.But I can't even think about resuming my studies becuase without coffee,I just won't have the mental alertness and stamina for the long hours of data absorbtion and problem solving-let alone the mental creativity that sparks scientific research.I think about what I was before this damn thing started-being able to go days without sleep and studying graduate level material with such mental clarity and I feel like I've suffered brain damage since going off the caffine,I'm so groggy and mentally sluggish.I was an older student to begin with,so it's been THAT much harder.I truly feel like my career may be over without it and I'm obviously scared to attempt to drink even small amounts after all the sacrifice to get it under control.I'm depressed and desperate and need to know:Can anyone suggest IBS safe alternatives for me to "get my mojo back" mentally without coffee or other stimulants-preferably natural supplements?I'll try anything at this point-one of my friends at Columbia University offered to get me some COCAINE for "medicinal use" and I actually thought about it for a second.THAT'S how desperate I am.PLEASE HELP!
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The End Of My Career Without Coffee?!?I'm desperate................. new
      #130480 - 12/14/04 12:58 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey AndrewL,

I hear you about the alertedness. You don't have to look as far as cocaine. I was an English major with a Physics/Engineering, Wing Aerodynamics minor. I get pressure and having to be awake for 8:30 lectures and PM 4 hour labs.

But you don't have to resort to street drugs. The crash is far worse than not being to wake up for class on a daily basis. Ritalin is available if you can't study effectively. But waking up early, and not partying is better. Go to bed at a decent hour, and get yourself in a routine. Turn off your telephone ringer at night. You'll do a lot better than your friends who do bumps of meth to get through a stressful week. Trust me.

Good luck. Having IBS in college is no fun, but with a routine that works, you can get a diploma.

~nelly~

#130545 - 12/14/04 06:54 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

I can relate! I am a writer and very dependent on caffeine during deadline time. However, I actually have more "true" energy now that I'm off coffee. I will never go back to coffee but I do have a little caffeine each day in the form of green tea. I seem to tolerate it ok. I limit it to one cup of caffeinated stuff and the rest of the time I just drink herbal tea. I find just having something hot to drink is sort of a psychological crutch. I would also try natural ways of boosting energy, such as exercise and yoga. I'm not in such a high-pressure situation as you describe, and I do empathize, but I think you CAN do it caffeine free if you want. Also you actually MAY be depressed and there are drugs for that, if appropriate, that can help your energy and focus without the caffeine highs and lows. Good luck!

#130556 - 12/14/04 07:16 PM
Andrew L

Dear Nelly;
You MAY get a degree,but will it be one with a stellar record or just a degree you can put on a wall?I was considering YALE at one point before my health went south.Ritilin is a powerful stimulant for those without ADD and dissociative disorders-I dunno if it's exactly what I'd call a "safe" alternative.But it's certainly better then my friend's idea,I'll give you that.Thanks for the input and support.
Andrew L.

#130615 - 12/15/04 05:01 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

What you're going through right now is caffeine withdrawal. That means you're getting the worst symptoms NOW. There is life after caffeine. Trust me, I have two bachelors degrees. You really need to focus on getting enough sleep. It IS possible. Have you considered doing your Grad studies part time? That would take a bit of the pressure off, and allow you to get enough sleep to stay alert. Besides, once you're through the withdrawal of caffeine, you won't feel so tired and sluggish. I truly hope that you will get through this without it destroying your academic goals.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#130633 - 12/15/04 07:04 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi, Andrew. I, too, am going through caffeine withdrawal, and the only thing that keeps me from brewing a cup of java is the fact that my stomach is doing so much better now. I don't think the coffee is worth the pain. The one thing, though, that concerns me about your post is the fact that you're so worried about your degree. Now, I can relate...because I have a degree from Oberlin College, which is a pretty damn good school, too. Here's a story for perspective:

When I went back to school, I was 22...with a 2 year old son. I applied on a whim to Oberlin and got in. I came from a very tiny, rural high school, so I had a lot of catching up to do. I was overwhelmed by the kids from private schools who seemed so smart and with it. I thought my grades (B+s and As) were terrible. At the same time as I was undertaking 15 credit hours a semester (as a double major in Medieval English and Ancient Christianity), I was working 15-20 hours a week to support my son, cooking and cleaning, studying, and potty-training a very potty-resistant child. What put it all into perspective for me was the fact that I HAD As and Bs while doing everything else!

Now, I didn't graduate with honors or write a stunning thesis, but each and every one of my professors remembers me and is very, very amazed with the quality of work I produced, given my circumstances. Moreover, we are colleagues now, as I work for the school from which I graduated. They still think my work is stellar...and now I'm a single mom with a going-on 11-year old son, which I can say is probably worse than potty-training!

Maybe just talking to your professors about your current situation, in a very honest way, and asking for a bit or help or tolerance will get you through. Whenever I was overwhelmed, I went to my professors for help. Not for pity, mind you, just to state what was going on and see if they could bend deadlines by a day or let me take a test at a different time (if a babysitter wasn't available). Because I did this, I got through Oberlin in 3 years, earned my degree, and got a job that actually lets me support my son.

Best of luck to you! Don't give up!

Ah, the Quality Education new
      #130640 - 12/15/04 07:29 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

They say the difference between a good education and a quality education is getting to know your teachers. But remember, a Yale diploma is just another piece of paper hanging on the wall as much as a Stanford one is. If you want to be smarter than your diploma, you can do that with extra-curricular activities, student body office appointment, mentoring, and charitable work, as well as grades.

Here's some of the stuff I did:

Pres of the Program Council
Managing Editor of the School Newspaper
Student Senator
Tutor at Disability Support Services
TA Organic Chem 3 semesters
Radio show host (big band)
Motor skills clinician volunteer (ADHD kids, ages 5-6)
Reading skills clinician volunteer (ages 11-12)

I also received 3 fellowships, 7 study grants, and numerous merit scholarships over my college career. I didn't go to Yale, but I have a Yalie working under me as Communications Director in the DC office of my work. I think he's smart, but I also think I got more out of college than he did.

My point is, if you're going to do it right, you can't get this much done while suffering DTs off of street drugs, spending time and money scoring, and sleeping off the effects of benders. IBS is hard enough without looking for other trouble. I know it looks like a quick fix, but there's a reason college kids get strung out and end up moving into mom's basement. We all know these guys.

Good luck with school. You seem very smart and dedicated!! Get as much out of your education as you can!

~nelly~

Re: Ah, the Quality Education AND questions for the board............ new
      #130813 - 12/15/04 03:19 PM
Andrew L

Dear Nelly;
Thanks for the pep talk,I mean that,your concern and support is greatly apprieciated.I don't entirely agree with you,though-I'll bet that kid will eventually end up your boss if he chooses to remain in that line of work in a few years bc of that piece of paper.The name in general MATTERS and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.Of course,that really depends also on WHAT KIND of career you ultimately want out of college-for a career that's largely academic like the sciences,it means EVERYTHING.Extracirricular activities ARE important,but they're also very tough to do when you have 2 parents with cancer that rely on you like I did for 10 years.All that being said,I just want to say I was semikidding about the cocaine-I was trying to impress how desperate I am.I AM looking at my options and trying to get other kinds of help.While I'm at it,some questions for all those listening about some possible options:a)Has anyone tried Yarba Mate(I hope I spelled it right)-that herbal pick me up tea from South America?If it's everything it's hype says it is and it doesn't harm IBSers,it may be the solution to my problem.b) Can anyone recommend any herbal "pick me up" teas that are safe for IBSers for that coffeeless "lift"?Ginger root tea I hear,for example,can have the desired effect if drunk in large quantities.
Thanks again for the pep talk,Nelly.I'm not getting high just yet,relax.......

#130829 - 12/15/04 04:08 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Caffeine's awful for you. It's good that you've eliminated it. Ha!

#130853 - 12/15/04 06:21 PM
Andrew L

Gee,thanks for having a good laugh at my expense.I'll remember to send you a soy cheesecake for Christmas that's actually the real thing.........
A.L.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10278

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review