All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
The End Of My Career Without Coffee?!?I'm desperate.................
      #130473 - 12/14/04 12:39 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Hearts;
The absolute WORST thing about having IBS is no caffiene.
I actually had to drop out of school where I was a double major in mathematics and biochemistry preparing for graduate school due to the debilitative nature of the problem.My student's life was actually aggravating the condition since a college student's typical diet is whatever you can get your hands on and as much coffee as you can swallow to keep going sharp as a tack mentally for 18 hours. I've been on the diet now for 2 months and there's been very significant improvement.But I can't even think about resuming my studies becuase without coffee,I just won't have the mental alertness and stamina for the long hours of data absorbtion and problem solving-let alone the mental creativity that sparks scientific research.I think about what I was before this damn thing started-being able to go days without sleep and studying graduate level material with such mental clarity and I feel like I've suffered brain damage since going off the caffine,I'm so groggy and mentally sluggish.I was an older student to begin with,so it's been THAT much harder.I truly feel like my career may be over without it and I'm obviously scared to attempt to drink even small amounts after all the sacrifice to get it under control.I'm depressed and desperate and need to know:Can anyone suggest IBS safe alternatives for me to "get my mojo back" mentally without coffee or other stimulants-preferably natural supplements?I'll try anything at this point-one of my friends at Columbia University offered to get me some COCAINE for "medicinal use" and I actually thought about it for a second.THAT'S how desperate I am.PLEASE HELP!
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The End Of My Career Without Coffee?!?I'm desperate................. new
      #130480 - 12/14/04 12:58 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey AndrewL,

I hear you about the alertedness. You don't have to look as far as cocaine. I was an English major with a Physics/Engineering, Wing Aerodynamics minor. I get pressure and having to be awake for 8:30 lectures and PM 4 hour labs.

But you don't have to resort to street drugs. The crash is far worse than not being to wake up for class on a daily basis. Ritalin is available if you can't study effectively. But waking up early, and not partying is better. Go to bed at a decent hour, and get yourself in a routine. Turn off your telephone ringer at night. You'll do a lot better than your friends who do bumps of meth to get through a stressful week. Trust me.

Good luck. Having IBS in college is no fun, but with a routine that works, you can get a diploma.

~nelly~

#130545 - 12/14/04 06:54 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

I can relate! I am a writer and very dependent on caffeine during deadline time. However, I actually have more "true" energy now that I'm off coffee. I will never go back to coffee but I do have a little caffeine each day in the form of green tea. I seem to tolerate it ok. I limit it to one cup of caffeinated stuff and the rest of the time I just drink herbal tea. I find just having something hot to drink is sort of a psychological crutch. I would also try natural ways of boosting energy, such as exercise and yoga. I'm not in such a high-pressure situation as you describe, and I do empathize, but I think you CAN do it caffeine free if you want. Also you actually MAY be depressed and there are drugs for that, if appropriate, that can help your energy and focus without the caffeine highs and lows. Good luck!

#130556 - 12/14/04 07:16 PM
Andrew L

Dear Nelly;
You MAY get a degree,but will it be one with a stellar record or just a degree you can put on a wall?I was considering YALE at one point before my health went south.Ritilin is a powerful stimulant for those without ADD and dissociative disorders-I dunno if it's exactly what I'd call a "safe" alternative.But it's certainly better then my friend's idea,I'll give you that.Thanks for the input and support.
Andrew L.

#130615 - 12/15/04 05:01 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

What you're going through right now is caffeine withdrawal. That means you're getting the worst symptoms NOW. There is life after caffeine. Trust me, I have two bachelors degrees. You really need to focus on getting enough sleep. It IS possible. Have you considered doing your Grad studies part time? That would take a bit of the pressure off, and allow you to get enough sleep to stay alert. Besides, once you're through the withdrawal of caffeine, you won't feel so tired and sluggish. I truly hope that you will get through this without it destroying your academic goals.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#130633 - 12/15/04 07:04 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi, Andrew. I, too, am going through caffeine withdrawal, and the only thing that keeps me from brewing a cup of java is the fact that my stomach is doing so much better now. I don't think the coffee is worth the pain. The one thing, though, that concerns me about your post is the fact that you're so worried about your degree. Now, I can relate...because I have a degree from Oberlin College, which is a pretty damn good school, too. Here's a story for perspective:

When I went back to school, I was 22...with a 2 year old son. I applied on a whim to Oberlin and got in. I came from a very tiny, rural high school, so I had a lot of catching up to do. I was overwhelmed by the kids from private schools who seemed so smart and with it. I thought my grades (B+s and As) were terrible. At the same time as I was undertaking 15 credit hours a semester (as a double major in Medieval English and Ancient Christianity), I was working 15-20 hours a week to support my son, cooking and cleaning, studying, and potty-training a very potty-resistant child. What put it all into perspective for me was the fact that I HAD As and Bs while doing everything else!

Now, I didn't graduate with honors or write a stunning thesis, but each and every one of my professors remembers me and is very, very amazed with the quality of work I produced, given my circumstances. Moreover, we are colleagues now, as I work for the school from which I graduated. They still think my work is stellar...and now I'm a single mom with a going-on 11-year old son, which I can say is probably worse than potty-training!

Maybe just talking to your professors about your current situation, in a very honest way, and asking for a bit or help or tolerance will get you through. Whenever I was overwhelmed, I went to my professors for help. Not for pity, mind you, just to state what was going on and see if they could bend deadlines by a day or let me take a test at a different time (if a babysitter wasn't available). Because I did this, I got through Oberlin in 3 years, earned my degree, and got a job that actually lets me support my son.

Best of luck to you! Don't give up!

Ah, the Quality Education new
      #130640 - 12/15/04 07:29 AM
Nelly

They say the difference between a good education and a quality education is getting to know your teachers. But remember, a Yale diploma is just another piece of paper hanging on the wall as much as a Stanford one is. If you want to be smarter than your diploma, you can do that with extra-curricular activities, student body office appointment, mentoring, and charitable work, as well as grades.

Here's some of the stuff I did:

Pres of the Program Council
Managing Editor of the School Newspaper
Student Senator
Tutor at Disability Support Services
TA Organic Chem 3 semesters
Radio show host (big band)
Motor skills clinician volunteer (ADHD kids, ages 5-6)
Reading skills clinician volunteer (ages 11-12)

I also received 3 fellowships, 7 study grants, and numerous merit scholarships over my college career. I didn't go to Yale, but I have a Yalie working under me as Communications Director in the DC office of my work. I think he's smart, but I also think I got more out of college than he did.

My point is, if you're going to do it right, you can't get this much done while suffering DTs off of street drugs, spending time and money scoring, and sleeping off the effects of benders. IBS is hard enough without looking for other trouble. I know it looks like a quick fix, but there's a reason college kids get strung out and end up moving into mom's basement. We all know these guys.

Good luck with school. You seem very smart and dedicated!! Get as much out of your education as you can!

~nelly~

Re: Ah, the Quality Education AND questions for the board............ new
      #130813 - 12/15/04 03:19 PM
Andrew L

Dear Nelly;
Thanks for the pep talk,I mean that,your concern and support is greatly apprieciated.I don't entirely agree with you,though-I'll bet that kid will eventually end up your boss if he chooses to remain in that line of work in a few years bc of that piece of paper.The name in general MATTERS and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.Of course,that really depends also on WHAT KIND of career you ultimately want out of college-for a career that's largely academic like the sciences,it means EVERYTHING.Extracirricular activities ARE important,but they're also very tough to do when you have 2 parents with cancer that rely on you like I did for 10 years.All that being said,I just want to say I was semikidding about the cocaine-I was trying to impress how desperate I am.I AM looking at my options and trying to get other kinds of help.While I'm at it,some questions for all those listening about some possible options:a)Has anyone tried Yarba Mate(I hope I spelled it right)-that herbal pick me up tea from South America?If it's everything it's hype says it is and it doesn't harm IBSers,it may be the solution to my problem.b) Can anyone recommend any herbal "pick me up" teas that are safe for IBSers for that coffeeless "lift"?Ginger root tea I hear,for example,can have the desired effect if drunk in large quantities.
Thanks again for the pep talk,Nelly.I'm not getting high just yet,relax.......

#130829 - 12/15/04 04:08 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Caffeine's awful for you. It's good that you've eliminated it. Ha!

#130853 - 12/15/04 06:21 PM
Andrew L

Gee,thanks for having a good laugh at my expense.I'll remember to send you a soy cheesecake for Christmas that's actually the real thing.........
A.L.

#130855 - 12/15/04 06:30 PM
Andrew L

Dear sueAngel,
Thanks so much for the warm words of advice and no,I haven't given up.It's just so hard not to be mentally sharp like I used to be.That IS a great school,Oberlin in Great Britain-the chairman of my old chemistry department did his undergraduate work there.You should be proud of what you accomplished.I'm glad your professors and collegues were so supportive-in my academic experience,among science majors and premeds,I've usually been treated like the weak antelope in the herd.One professor actually told me I didn't deserve to go to Yale bc "why should they waste a spot for an old,sick failure that didn't make his career when he was young?Why should they offer you a spot-to reward your lack of responsibility to your own life when you were younger?" But I won't give up-thanks again.
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Andrew... a few options.. new
      #130901 - 12/16/04 03:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) do what my sister is doing and get the same degree (masters) over a longer time- fewer courses a semester and working has allowed her to focus on each course despite some health issues and even getting married and planning a HUGE wedding in the middle of it.

b) take a few weeks off of everything and find your bodies NATURAL sleep cycle- you'll be amazed at how much better you feel letting it get the rest it needs when it needs it... I know I need fewer hours of sleep if I go to bed early and get up early then if I try to stay up later (why I don't mind working the 5 AM shift) and am a much more productive person all day long. some people have other cycles- DH does better going to bed later and sleeping later... so he works normal hours that enable him to do that.. and we both get twice as much done in the day as we did when we forced ourselves to sleep at the same time!

also- look at what you are eating... is there enough protein and other nutrition in your diet to keep your body going? I've noticed that several people here have had to re-evaluate what they are ingesting once they've gotten stable because they aren't eating a balanced combination of foods and getting the nutrition they need.

Another thing- if you were that reliant on caffeine and other drugs to keep you awake, your body may take some time to recover from that and maybe 2 months just isn't enough time!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Andrew? new
      #130923 - 12/16/04 06:28 AM
Sara-Sage

If that soy cheesecake comment was for me, I wasn't being rude to you! I was just trying to get you to have a laugh or lighten up!

I'm sorry if you thought I was being mean. I'm not like that at all.

#130925 - 12/16/04 06:32 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Dear Andrew,

Tell that professor to kiss off! I graduated at 26-ish, so I was a little older than the average student. I had to go straight to work...no grad school right away because of my son...but plan to go back when he is 18. I'll be 38, and if anyone dares to say that I made a "mistake" and am too old, well, the ACLU doesn't have anything on what I'll do to them!

The scientists that I know here are completely NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. One of my best friends is a neuroscientist (specializing in the workings of the inner ear and restoring hearing in those who go deaf, as opposed to being born deaf). She started school to become an audiologist/speech pathologist, simply because she never really new an honest to goodness scientist. While working at a hearing clinic, she discovered she was bored. So, she went back to school. She got tromped on a bit by men, who thought "girls can't be scientists," but let me tell you...she is whip-smart and at the forefront of her field. Another lady I know is an incredible biologist researching pregnancy and the "hows" of it in various mammals. No one would ever consider her week! A lot of these folks didn't take traditional routes through school...there were kids, or bills, or other delays. For someone to say that they shouldn't have gone to school because some younger kid deserved their spot is outrageous! The research they've done is amazing.

Face it, grad schools look at older students as a bonus. Meaning, you're not 21 and if you are going back to school you must be very serious and committed about the situation. Younger kids still have wild oats to sow, and have a higher drop out rate...whether it's money, or parties, or simply burn out, they don't last as long or seem as committed as older folks. That professor was absolutely full of him self. Yale would be LUCKY to have you...they wouldn't be wasting a place at all.

Science aside, you are not the weak link. Don't let the folks in that program make you feel like that. Tell them simply, in language you are comfortable with, what your ailment is, and why you perhaps need a more "unique" and flexible schedule. Get yourself stabilized, grab some ginseng tea, take up yoga (it helps, I swear), and (if you can afford it) see a therapist to talk about how these folks are making you feel. I saw a therapist the whole time I did my undergrad work, and she was the one who kept me going and believing in myself. You wouldn't have gotten this far if you are a weak link. Remember that.

Please let me know if you'd like to talk more! I'm happy to communicate with you!

sue

#130985 - 12/16/04 09:20 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I know, it was a little hard for me too, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I notice the gas I have when I drank caffeine and I am happier without it. Your body will go througha week of withdrawal (if you drink a lot of cups day) and then the worst of it will be over and you won't need it. Trust me, that is what happend to me and now I am enegeretic without it. You just need to add in some healthy foods and your enegry levels will be back up there.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Dana! You look so pretty in your wedding gown! new
      #130987 - 12/16/04 09:29 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

how did it go? You look so happy, so I am sure that it was wonderful!

--------------------
-Sheri

#131013 - 12/16/04 10:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Not sure if the others have mentioned these, but try

Siberian Ginseng
Rooibos tea
Lots of water

And NO caffeine. I've had trouble with this issue too as I have Fibromyalgia (therefore muchos tiredness!), but I've found the hard way that my doc is right and I am better without it. It can take a hell of a while for your body to adjust though, so stick at it.

Being diagnosed with IBS means alot of things and one of them is that you are likely to have to alter your lifestyle. You can still study and do fantastic research, but not without sleep for days!

Yoga can also help with mental clarity. I know what it's like...although I didn't do post-grad study I did do a physics course here which was pretty heavy going!

Re: Andrew? new
      #131065 - 12/16/04 01:02 PM
Andrew L

Sara;
You don't tell a professional athlete who was an All Star and MAY now be stuck in a wheelchair for life pending further tests that he shouldn't have been driving so fast anyway when the accident happened to "lighten him up."I don't think it takes a very insightful person to see that.Apology accepted-but jokes like that I can do without while watching my life go down the crapper along with the diaherra and blood,thank you.
Andrew L.

#131071 - 12/16/04 01:27 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Andy,
I saw your post earlier this week and have meant to get back to you - There are lots of us who do lots of things once we get this stuff under control - it's just a matter of getting to know your body and how you will deal with this disease. Your studies/career are not over - they're just beginning, let's keep that in perspective. I'm 28 yrs. old and I have Crohn's disease - no it's not IBS, it's full out eat through your intestines, almost never digest your food, swallow 23 pills a day - Crohn's disease. I was only diagnosed with this a few months ago and before had been working on an IBS diagnosis. That's how I came to the boards and the diet - it does help and I digest markedly more food when I'm keeping to the diet than I do when I'm not. I have had problems with IBS (that I now know was Crohn's) since my junior year in undergrad. It started when I was a double major at William and Mary studying government and East Asian Studies. To this point I have completed both degrees, learned to speak fluent Chinese and intermediate Thai, written an honors thesis that ranked highest honors and graduated Magne Cum Laude. I also have a master's degree in international affairs from George Washington and a certification in global public health. I'm currently working for a governmental Commission that makes policy recommendations regarding promotion of religious freedom in the countries of the world where religion is most severly persecuted. I still consider myself very much on the way up and this disease is not going to stop me. Like other people have said, certain teas help with alertness in abscence of coffee - coffee is BAD and you won't perform if you're running to the bathroom every 20 minutes, we all know that! You're support system is also important - it's important to have freinds telling you can do this and kicking you in the ass when you get down on yourself - it's just good for somebody to keep you moving in a positive way - I didn't mean that kicking you in the ass thing that they would be mean - that wouldn't help, just that they would be consistent, that does help. Once you're sleeping the right amount you will perform better. I would also whole-heartedly agree that once you get to grad school you age will be more of an asset - it's been provent that students that are just out of undergrad with no work experience don't get as much out of grad school as most older students who know what they're looking for and have some real world experience behind them before coming in. Anyone who has been in the field for longer times (10 years or more) will tell you and I am CERTAIN of this, once you are out of school for more than 5 years, your grades and where you went to school matter minimally. What you have done since graduation and in your career matters MUCH more in the long run. This is a long run process, don't rush to do it all today or you'll burn yourself out by the time you're 35. Look at your long term goals and take into consideration how many years you have to get there and talk to people who are already there, they will help you with the steps and it's also always good connections. So I'm done being career counselor for the day - I need to get back to work!! Get to know your body and listen to it, you will find ways to deal with your situation - you say your symptoms have already gotten much better from the diet - that in itself is encouraging that you can stabilize and maybe it's just a few more steps till you find ways to work in the details of making sure you have the time and energy for the work you need to do - you can do it and yes, there are people here to encourage you as you can see from the website. Good luck and good for you for trying as hard as you have thus far to make progress on this.

Mindy

Hmmm............ new
      #131088 - 12/16/04 02:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't tried yerba mate, and I can't remember for the life of me if anyone else has posted about it before. For that one, you might try doing a board search and see if anything pops up. I have some pretty good herb/plant books; I'll see if I can find anything about it that might send up a warning flag.

Just this morning I was reading my can of Teeccino and noticed that it said that it has potassium "for a natural lift" (or something to that effect). I had noticed that I felt like I had a little more zip after drinking it, but I thought it was just my imagination... apparently not. You might try Teeccino (it's a coffee substitute, I find it in my health-food store), or you might even just try getting some more potassium in your diet. Hey, you never know - it might actually help. Teeccino, by the way, is pretty darn tasty... the hazelnut is quite coffee-like.

#131228 - 12/17/04 12:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Most of us have found that getting and maintaining a sense of humor about the whole thing is our best - and sometimes only - defense against complete insanity in the face of a potentially devastating illness. Hopefully you'll get to that point too. I know Tina well, and I know she meant no harm or offense whatsoever, even if that's how you're choosing to take it.

Thanks Casey! new
      #131255 - 12/17/04 06:01 AM
Sara-Sage

I figured I would just stop there and not respond to him anymore as it was being taken the wrong way.

Thanks for coming my my defense.

Re: Dana! You look so pretty in your wedding gown! new
      #131259 - 12/17/04 06:04 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Sheri,
Oh, thank you, you are so sweet! It went great, it was absolutly perfect, even the weather as perfect! I could ask for a more! Thanks for asking.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#131277 - 12/17/04 06:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I wasn't sure if it was my place to get involved or not, but I agree with everything Casey has said. Tina is a sweet, caring, and helpful person. She never hesitates to offer advice when she can. And as Casey mentioned, many times a little (more like a lot) of humor is needed when dealing with any chronic painful condition. Tina was only trying to bring a little smile to the situation.

Andrew, I hope you will continue to use the boards for support and for helpful information. But I hope you can be a little more understanding and a little more sensitive in what you say to others. If it were me that received that last message, I would have probably have been in tears.

We are all here to help one another.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks Beth new
      #131293 - 12/17/04 07:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Beth,

That was very sweet of you to come to my defence as well.

To be honest, I was very taken aback by Andrew's response. I'm glad you guys could tell I was just trying to lighten things up.

He reminds me of some people that I work with so that's enough for me to stay away from him. I wish him luck though. We all know first-hand how difficult dealing with IBS is.

#131314 - 12/17/04 09:16 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Andrew, I know its not my place but I'm from NY City so I will say my piece when I feel its necessary. You need to lighten up a bit pal. For the longest time when I didn't have a day without pain or D, my humor kept me going along with support from my friends and family.

Tina meant no harm by her comments. I know that for a fact because I have read many of her comments since I've been on the boards and she's always been supportive.

Hang in their buddy, things may get worse before they get better but they will get better. Happy Holidays.

--------------------

Thanks Tommy -nt- new
      #131326 - 12/17/04 09:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Life Without Coffee new
      #131337 - 12/17/04 10:26 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andrew:

Oh, how I loved coffee! But now its taste is but a very distant memory. The last cup I had (actually it was a very watered down quarter cup of coffee) was more than 20 years ago. I didn't even realize I had IBS then and I didn't know coffee was bad for IBS. I only knew that I suffered severe stomach cramps and got very sick every time I tried drinking coffee -- even decaffinated coffee.

I can't say life has always been easy without coffee. I'm required to attend lots of meetings in my job and I often have trouble staying awake if the meetings are boring! It would definite help if I could drink some coffee, but sadly I cannot.

I think perhaps the coffee issue is hitting you especially hard because it is bringing home the reality of what having IBS entails. Coping with IBS means many dietary and lifestyle changes and the denial of many things that others (non-IBS people) take for granted. Coffee is just one of those things.

I can only say that coffee, and other deprivations due to IBS, have never stopped me from accomplishing anything I've set my mind to. I have two university degrees and I have worked in demanding, professional fields for more than 20 years now.

Once the dust settles, you may come to realize that despite the many things you can't and won't be able to eat or drink because of your IBS, the IBS diet/lifestyle is much healthier than the average North American diet/lifestyle. For example, you can't eat things like junk food and ideally you should eat only organic food.

I believe in time you will find ways to work around the negatives of IBS and accomplish your goals, including your university studies. Of course, having IBS will necessitate you to be creative to find ways to do things without provoking IBS attacks.

Please don't give up on your studies! Eventually you will find a way to get through without coffee! For me, personally, I've found an excellent energy booster is working out at the gym. I have high energy for several days afterwards. I don't think coffee could even remotely compete with an exercise-induced, energy rush!

Please take care and keep us posted on how things go.

Belinda

Great stuff! new
      #131340 - 12/17/04 10:34 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Belinda,
A very well articulated message and one that I whole-heartedly agree with!! Good things for all of us to remember as we cope with IBS on top of incessantly busy and stressful lives.
Hope you have a nice holiday!
Min

Well said...very well said! new
      #131368 - 12/17/04 01:08 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Re: Thanks Casey! new
      #131394 - 12/17/04 03:05 PM
Andrew L

Dear Hearts;
I KNOW she meant no harm-hence the response above,if you read it carefully.It's just that I was pulling 18-20 hour days and eating anything I want when I was well-AND BARELY GETTING BY AS AN HONOR STUDENT.I had to quit when I was passing out from the pain and going blood until I got it under control.I was on my way to Yale after all the heartache I had caring for my parents with thier cancer and going through hell in school to stay on top-and then THIS happened,taking away the only leg up I had-it broke my heart.When she made that crack to me,it was like having an open wound scratched by Brillo.I know she didn't MEAN it,but that didn't make it hurt any less.So forgive me for being a human being.If I hurt anyone's feelings,I'm sorry and that's sincere.But if anyone's looking for me to apologize for RESPONDING the way I did to her,forget it.I was the wronged one here and if you all can't see that,I'm sorry.I actually was a lot MORE polite with my response to her then I normally am-and that's because I KNEW there was no malice intended by Tina's crack.Again-for those of you thinking I'm a complete [censored],I'm sorry.I DO want to say thank you to all the wonderful responses and suggestions I got to my question-especially to sueAngell,who's words of encouragement are greatly apprieciated.I'd apprieciate it if we could keep this thread going-anyone else having the same problems can jump aboard anytime,please.
Again-if I hurt Tina's feelings-I'm sorry.But do me a favor-think about my situation and try and put yourself in my shoes.And think about how amusing your comment would really be in that situation.(Yeah,I know,now everyone and his mother is gonna jump on me for being a crybaby.Whatever.I said my piece and was very honest.Again,Tina,I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.And that's sincere.)
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

To Andrew new
      #131406 - 12/17/04 04:33 PM
Sara-Sage

It's already forgotten. I don't hold grudges. And I will not say anything of that sort again. I had no idea you were going through such an intense time.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Tina

p.s. I'm not trying to worry you, but you mentioned blood in your stool. Have you had testing to make sure it's just IBS and nothing more serious? (Not trying to freak you out, I promise!)

Re: To Andrew new
      #131434 - 12/17/04 07:41 PM
Andrew L

No,that's a legitimate question.I had a colonoscopy done just 7 months ago-there was some ulceration-now mostly healed-and that's where the blood was coming from,they think.The biopsy was negative,thank God.
Glad we cleared this up.
Andrew L.

Re: To Andrew new
      #131437 - 12/17/04 07:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Good to hear you had a colonsocopy and it came back as all clear.

#131521 - 12/18/04 02:36 PM
Nelly

You know it occurs to me, maybe they're trying to keep people with IBS out of Yale. To weed them out, overtly or covertly.

~nelly~

#131555 - 12/18/04 05:52 PM
Andrew L

Haha. But seriously,they want superhuman people or people that at least GIVE THE APPEARANCE of being so.That's why cheating is rampant there,as at most power schools.Someone like me is considered a bad show for them.
Andrew L.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10281

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review