All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS AND Lactose Intolerant
      #130412 - 12/14/04 10:01 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Having IBS and Lactose intolerance, where do I get my calcium from. I am 35 years old and I know how important calcium is for strong teeth and bones. Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas that have worked for them.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS AND Lactose Intolerant new
      #130432 - 12/14/04 10:33 AM
Nicole2

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: London, UK

I seem to have a dairy intolerance too. I don't know what you guys have in the States (probably a lot more than here in the UK!) but I drink Rice Dream instead of normal milk and it tastes pretty good. You can buy the kind that has added calcium, and I think a lot of soya milk and spreads have added calcium too. I also try to take calcium supplements since people that can't have dairy probably don't get the amount they should from these things. I hope that helps!

#130475 - 12/14/04 12:50 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Melissam, thanks for posting!

The first thing I noticed with my body was lactose intolerance, before I ever figured out I had IBS. By the time lactaid (enzymes) stopped working I had full blown D, 9-20 times a week.

Also my IBS is worst with my period, so I stopped them by getting a depo provera shot every 3 months. it's been a life saver!!! But I have to watch my diet to get enough calcium, as osteoporosis can be a side effect of the shot.

So I take calcium tablets (which are constipating, perfect for IBS-D!). Since I can eat red meat and don't shed blood every month, I'm not too worried about iron deficiency (which is a side effect of calcium supplement intake), but even so, I stop taking the calcium a week out of every month so I can get enough iron to absorb in my body ok.

It's a big dance with nutrients in your body. You want to make sure you have enough of one without limiting all the others. I'm not unhealthy, but I make sure to have blood glucose and liver tests every 6 months.

Other suggestions for calcium: green leafy vegatables and broccoli. I can eat broc if it's cooked within an inch of its life. So I make sure to get a little every now and again. Do a search for calcium in vegetables on the Web and I'm sure you can come up with a bunch of them.

Good luck!!

~nelly~

Re:The Silk Brand Soy Milk has the same amount of calcium as milk. new
      #130478 - 12/14/04 12:56 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

So if you like Soy milk that might work for you.

Take Care,
Lefty

#130492 - 12/14/04 01:39 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yep, I was lactose intolerant before I even started having other IBS symptoms, too. Personally, I drink and cook with enriched soy and rice milks. Check the labels... they have as much calcium as milk!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#130526 - 12/14/04 05:12 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

My doctor suggested TUMS - 2 a day, for calcium, since calcium pills can be kinda harsh on your tummy! ANd it's a bonus because TUMS are antacids too.
I have been taking one after breakfast and one after dinner for many years now!

--------------------
~Cara~

#130531 - 12/14/04 05:48 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have the same problem. Solgar has a chalted Calcium, it works well and it is easy on my stomach. I aslo drink a lot of soy milk and eat a lot of soy yogurt as well.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#130616 - 12/15/04 05:03 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Of course, a calcium supplement is in order. Also, the soy milks on the market often have a comparable amount of calcium as regular milk.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#130866 - 12/15/04 07:33 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Here's a list: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm#table1

Aside from that, soy or rice cheese actually has a lot of calcium(30% per slice!). I take Rolaids a lot for my GERD symptoms, it has calcium with added magnesium so that it doesn't cause C.

--------------------
IBS-C

#131185 - 12/16/04 05:58 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'm in the same boat, so most of my calcium is coming from two main places: Cereal and Apple Juice.

A lot of cereals these days are calcium fortified, so even if you don't use milk with it, you can still get a decent amount of calcium from it.

Also, the apple juice I'm using for my Metamucil is calcium fortified as well. Granted, I'm ONLY using it for the Metamucil because otherwise I couldn't take it, and I know many fruit juices aren't the best idea.

So look into cereals, and also the soy milk.

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#131207 - 12/16/04 07:13 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Hi, I am in the same boat with all of you. Is it getting crowded yet? My favorite soy milk is Sun Soy. If you get the plain, I have a hard time telling it from real moo. I also want to mention that you get some Vitamin D along with the calcium supplements. Vitamin D is need for the calcium to get absorbed!

FYI - even after menopause, doctors recommend calcium supplements because the recommended dose is 1500 mg or about five glasses of milk.

Row, row, row, the boat.......

#131233 - 12/17/04 03:14 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thanks for that chart- didn't realize the mollases had calcium in it! I use it when I make BBQ sauce among other things... so another source of calcium I didn't know about... hrm- maybe DH won't complain about the amounts of BBQ I make and eat if he knows that!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#131253 - 12/17/04 05:51 AM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I take lots of Fibercon as a SFS. It has enough calcium in it that I don't need to take an additional calcium supplement. Got two birds with one stone

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2194

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review