All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas-X dosage question
      #130309 - 12/13/04 11:12 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I've been using the Gas-x Extra Strength chewable tablets. They work pretty well but I often find myself needing more later in the day, when I've already exceeded the maximum dose. I only get relief if I take 2 at a time -- just one doesn't do the trick. The tablets contain 125mg of Simethicone per one tablet. The box says no more than 4 in 24 hours "except under the advice and supervision of a physician." Does anyone take more than 4 in a day?
Thanks,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas-X dosage question new
      #130382 - 12/14/04 07:57 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I take a lot more simethicone than that. I take it in the form of Imodium Advanced, which has 2mg loperimide and 125 mg simethicone in each tablet. I take about 4 to 12 of them every day to control gas and explosive D, on top of the other meds I take: Tylenol-3, Rx loperimide (8mg/ day), sodium cromalin, and gas-x (simethicone 125mg) as needed.

~nelly~

#130384 - 12/14/04 08:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I try to stay at 4 a day because I too worry about the dose indication on the box. But if I really need it, which seems to be more often lately, I don't hesitate to go to 6 or even 7 in a day. Don't know if it's okay to do that though, but when gas is bad, who cares what the box says! I want relief.

My doctor told me that semithicone doesn't really even do anything for our gas because the semithicone doesn't work for gas which is in the lower bowel. By that time it's too late. He's says they are better for "belching" type gas. I also read this in a few IBS books and articles.

Having said that, I still choose to take them! Just in case those people are wrong. You and others on the board use them, and have found them helpful and that's good enough for me! I figure they can't hurt, and the may help!

By the way, have you ever tried charcoal tablets for gas? They are suppose to work great for removing gas. I may try them but I've heard they interfer with meds and I currently am taking AD and klonopin.

PS I posted any other question for you under the "underwear thread"!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (12/14/04 08:20 AM)

#130385 - 12/14/04 08:20 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I take five to six a day and my doc said it was fine!! Four do nothing for me!! I hope you feel better soon!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Thanks everyone! new
      #130390 - 12/14/04 08:41 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Gas X with Maalox new
      #130500 - 12/14/04 01:54 PM
Okies

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: Oklahoma

I can not seem to take them. When I do it burns when I go to the rest room. Even if I do drink allot of water. I thought at first I was getting a yeast infection. but after I stopped those the problem went away. I guess I am wired.

--------------------
Billie Jo

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1934 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review