All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Okay- Can I die Now??
      #13030 - 07/02/03 03:03 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Okay, my gastro just called in response to my colonoscopy and she told my mom that IBS is nothing! She lowered my Levsin Medication and put me on a Miralax!!! (A stool softener) She said that a lot of kids' IBS goes away afer the colonoscopy because all the stool is flushed out and she said that by taking the miralax, I will be constantly flushed out, and the spasms would go away, is this right? SHe also told my mom to make sure I eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and keep my fiber intake sky high. I just want to cry because I really dont wanna take the laxative stuff on a regular basis, and im so afraid that everything is just going to go down hill!! Help!!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay- Can I die Now?? new
      #13032 - 07/02/03 03:45 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

What! Oh my Angela, I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. As if just having IBS were not enough.

Can you try to reason with your parents at all? Are they going to force you to follow this doc's "advice"? I know you said in the past that they said something to the effect that the doc went to med school and knows it all or something like that - but, you have to try to make them see that if that were true all the time, then why is the statement "get a second opinion" such a common statement? Does that make sense?

Can you at least convince them to let you try it your way (as in Heather's way) to at least prove yes or no if that will work for you? Explain that doing it this way you will be eating lots of fresh veggies/fruits, and lots of fiber, but that you will do it the right way, carefully, so it will help you, not hurt you.

And if worse comes to worse, maybe you can "pretend" to take the laxative. I just don't get why they'd give a laxative for D. I hate to give you such deceiving input, but I hate to see you suffering as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone else will have better advice for you. I wish there was more I could do for ya.

#13045 - 07/02/03 07:22 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi ANGELA; I am so sorry you are having a rough time with everything. My bottom line has always go with your gut feeling because ONLY YOU know what you can handle and not. I would forget what doc's AND YOUR parents say, until they are in your shoes. Taking a laxative for D IS THE WORST THING to do. Do seek a second opinion. IT IS YOUR RIGHT!

#13047 - 07/02/03 07:29 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

You poor thing Angela. Sometimes I wish I could talk some sense to your parents. Have you copied info. about safe foods for IBS? Have your parents read Heather's books?
I wish I could hug you right now and make things better for you. Hang in there.
Barbara

#13075 - 07/03/03 06:25 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Angela, I am so sorry that your Doc and parents are cohorts in a plan that obviously doesn't work for you! I agree with the others on finding a second opinion. You might try an Ob-Gyn or even a Chiropractor. Or if you have another GI or GP that you can go to, maybe they will know a different way to appeal to your parents. In the meantime, I would just stick to Heather's diest plan as best as possible, and don't take the medicine unless you REALLY have to. Your doc doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing. Have you had Heather send him the IBS info that she has for doctors? She is happy to do it and it is very informative. Good luck, you are in my prayers.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Angela, how are you? new
      #13115 - 07/03/03 03:27 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Angela,

I have no idea why Miralax would be given to someone who suffers from D and it seems your Doctor doesn't really understand IBS at all.

I really feel for you and can only imagine what it must be like to have to follow such bad advice. Are your parents in agreement with this advice? I sure hope not.

I would try ad hard as you can to stand up for yourself and plead your case. Explain how you fel a lot better when following Heather's guidelines and how you are much worse when you don't. Surely your parents have witnessed this!

It sounds as if you need a Doctor who is much more compassionate and really knows something about IBS. My Gp has actually more of a help (though I still think I could find better) than my GE. My GE said a similiar thing to me. His words were "IBS isn't that bad at all, a few tummy pains now and then, a bit of gurgling, there's not much treatment needed." I remember being stunned and thinking "yeh, from that side of the desk it probably doesn't seem that bad but why don't you try it for a day"

Needless to say I didn't return to him as I'm not willing to pay money for that kind of advice.

I don't know whether your parents would be willing to get another opinion or not but surely they won't force you to do things that will hurt you more?

Please let us know how you're getting on.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13164 - 07/04/03 05:18 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

She's shouldn't be a doc that's for sure. She wouldn't say it's nothing if she had it!!! She's so cruel. I've had my share with cruel docs. I know how you feel. Maybe you can find a better one that will help you. I'd like to die! My IBS is so bad it's killing me.
Take Care

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3581 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1265

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review