All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
For IBS-C people
      #129810 - 12/12/04 07:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are there any of you who are able to control the C without taking any SFS? Or are all you resigned to taking them no matter what the side effects?
I really feel that they are causing lots of gas and cramps and bloating. But if I don't take it I worry the C will be worse.
Anyone else who is a IBS-C do okay without the SFS?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For IBS-C people new
      #129831 - 12/12/04 09:14 AM

Unregistered

I tried to take a sfs for a while as well but it actually made matters worse for me. what works best for me is to try to have cooked veggies or fruit somewhat regularly when I am stable. Actually I am most regualr when I eat mostly soluble and not many fruits and veggies. or less bloated shall I say. but sometimes cooked carrots or peeled apples helps me a lot!

#129894 - 12/12/04 01:22 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Auggie and Sensational:
Which brands of SFS have you each tried?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#129906 - 12/12/04 02:42 PM

Unregistered

the citrucel which si recommended and acacia is it?

Augie new
      #129912 - 12/12/04 03:05 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Have you tried Fibercon? I find that it helps and does not make me too gassy or bloated.

Litheladay new
      #129918 - 12/12/04 03:27 PM
Augie

Hello there! I am currently taking citricel clear mix powder 3 times a day and 2 equalactin tablets for a total of 7 grams fiber. I've worked up to this dose over a year, so I know I didn't do it too quickly. I also tried benefiber but thought one gave me cramps. Metamucil (psylium) scares me as does fiber choice with inulin because Heather says people who bloat easily should stay away from these. That's why I specificaly chose Citrucel. It says it doesn't cause excess bloating or gas. HA! They didn't ask me!

If you don't take an SFS, how do you manage to "go"?

Are you a C? Do you take anything?

--------------------
~ Beth

Casper new
      #129922 - 12/12/04 03:31 PM
Augie

How many do you take in a day? Wouldn't you need to take like 24 of them to get the recommended 12 grams of fiber? Also, I know they contain Calcium so that makes me think they may be better for D since calcium constipates most people. Tell me how many you take. This gives me hope if an IBS-C person can get a decent BM from fibercon! Do you go every day? (Not to get too personal)!

Oh, I do have the generic form(walmart brand) of fibercon. Do you think this would be equavalent?

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie new
      #129951 - 12/12/04 04:57 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

In all honosty I'm not very good about taking it. Also I have not stopped being C even with Hether's diet, but I have stopped being in constant pain from it. My advice to you would be to try to regulate naturally. Make sure you have some insolualbe fiber at the end of each meal. I mix Fiber One cereal in with my Cheerios in the morning. When I'm really desperate I end my breakfast with a prune or two. (Don't I sound like an old Lady. I'm only 34!) Drink alot of herbal tea and herbal ice tea. Stay away from rice products when you are Very C. On a personal note I don't go EVERY day. I average about 4 - 5 decent size BMs a week. Lots of luck.
Chany

Re: Litheladay new
      #129958 - 12/12/04 05:52 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Metamucil (psylium) scares me as does fiber choice with inulin because Heather says people who bloat easily should stay away from these. That's why I specificaly chose Citrucel. It says it doesn't cause excess bloating or gas. HA! They didn't ask me!

Yeah but you know what, I take Metamucil and that's what works the best for me. I think Metamucil can be bad for IBS-D people, but there are some C people here who take it and it seems to be ok. I also didn't want to try it for the longest time for the same reasons, but the other brands didn't agree with me or did nothing, so I said hey may as well try it. I think you should get Metamucil, get a small container and try taking a little at a time and build up slowely. I take like half a dose in the morning, a dose at dinner time, and another before I go to bed. It helps the C a bit, not enough in my opinion, but it helps a LOT in terms of tolerating food, I can eat so much more now

--------------------
IBS-C

Casper new
      #129960 - 12/12/04 06:04 PM
Augie

You may have just hit on something. I cannot do Fiber one or any wheat product because I am on a GF diet. And guess what all the GF breads, crackers, rolls etc are made out of? Rice Flour. Don't know if Rice Flour has the same effect as Regular cooking Rice. I usually have 3 pieces of Rice bread a day. I wish I could add some Fiber One into my diet. That's what helped before. Actually it was All Bran as Fiber One has artificial sweetner (did you realize that)?

I do think I am going to get some prunes. Still don't know what to do with the SFS. I think being GF gets in the way of managing this C with diet. Can't do regular cereals either, like cheerios or pretzels, etc.

You never told me how many Fibercon tablets you take a day?
I don't know if Flaxmeal is a nono but I added 1/2 Tablespoon to my cream of rice cereal this morning even after taking a zelnorm(which I really don't want to rely on) plus some triphala which is an herb Dr. Weil recommends for constipation-supposedly safe. I just want to go!

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (12/13/04 06:50 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review