All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wanted to share a Web site that I found....can't hurt, right?
      #12915 - 07/01/03 12:49 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hc/ibs/howto_acupressure/1,1939,,00.html

It's a description and photo of various acupressure points that help in digestion.

I'm going to give this a go tonight!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wanted to share a Web site that I found....can't hurt, right? new
      #12917 - 07/01/03 01:03 PM
MikeC

Reged: 07/01/03

(reposted broken link)

Re-Linked HERE

Thanks for the link. I never paid much attention to Acupressure, this is a great idea to incorporate with massages and see if they help.

So much reading…so little time…

#12918 - 07/01/03 01:09 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm assuming that you fixed my faulty link? :-)

I'm always happy to try new things with the word "FREE!" attached it it.

Let me know how it works for you!

--------------------
~jules

Thank you new
      #12925 - 07/01/03 01:48 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

I'm going to try this tonight too. Mike - thank you for reposting the link and Jules for the recommendation!

#12932 - 07/01/03 03:47 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Jules, accupressure can be a good tool in IBS for sure.

Another one is progressive muscle relaxation.

http://www.rochester.edu/ucc/pmr.htm

There is an accupressure point for the stomach between the pointed finger and the thumb.

Aplly pressure with your other hand at the base where the two meet. hard to show you on the internet. LOL

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#13132 - 07/03/03 09:37 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi Shawn,
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your accupressure point info: (pointed finger and thumb)for stomach! I don't know where I found out about this (years ago) but it works for me, helpes my IBS-D, some how it slows my stomach down so I could make it to the bathroom. Great help when I'm away from home. My Husband knows about my trick and when he sees me using it he asks are you ok, you wan't to go home? Can't hide it from him, Ha ha. Really it's a comfort him being on my side. Sometimes it stops the IBS-D attacks in their tracks and I can finish shopping or what ever.
I've thought about sharing it here but was afraid it was just one of my weird ideas again. Glad to know it is accupressure.
Thanks so much
Paintlady

#13155 - 07/04/03 01:47 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Is there a web page that might have a diagram of that acupressure point on the hand?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Acupressure questions....please help new
      #13295 - 07/07/03 08:10 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I would like some more information on this one. How much pressure do you apply? Exactly where do you apply it? Do you go as far down as where the bones meet or just before that where there is a muscle? How long do you apply pressure? Does it matter which hand? Are there any diagrams or pictures of this one anywhere? Sorry for the questions but I am desperate. I need something that will help me remain calm and relaxed when I leave the house. If I can make this work I won't have to panic everytime I need to go shopping. Thanks so much.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Re: Acupressure questions....please help new
      #13429 - 07/07/03 10:25 PM
shawneric

I have not found a diagram for it, you just apply pressure in between where the base of your thump and pointed finger meet, it does not matter really for how long or even how much pressure, just firmly. Hope that helps. There maybe an accupressure poster somewhere that shows it.

Its R2 on this map on the left hand.

http://www.wisarts.com/design/images/akupr_back.gif

--------------------

Re: Acupressure questions....please help new
      #13430 - 07/07/03 10:27 PM
shawneric

This is also something to try from Mike the hypnotherapist from the famous 100 program.

"Mike suggests How to Relax Your Tummy Muscles
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Firstly you have identified that your stomach is not relaxing. However you know it can, becuase you have done it in the past. OK so just take a few moments and study your breathing..
If your chest rises when you breathe in then you are taking big breaths, not deep breaths which you should be
A deep breathe is when you chest stays still, and your tummy moves out.

To get it as it as it should:
First lie down. Put a book on your tummy, and breathe your breathe into your tummy and feel the book begining to rise. (Don't force your tummy muscles out - let the breath fill your tummy )
You will have to concentrate a little to start with. Do this with your eyes open.

Once you are doing that comfortably, put the book on your chest. breathe into your tummy and keep the book still. Your tummy should move, not your chest. This happens quite naturally at night when we sleep - (assuming you don't have any breathing health problems)
Do this with your eyes open too.

When you have mastered that, put the book back onto your tummy, take gentle breaths and breathe into your tummy under the book again. This time with your eyes closed.
Then after 6 successful deep breathes, open your eyes, put the book back on your chest, close your eyes and let the breathe go into the tummy again, chest remaining still.

OK, When you can do this, do it without the book. You will notice a difference in the calming, and your stomach relaxing. To help think of each breathe having a relaxing colour, and the colour relaxes your stomach even more.
Try this a few times a day and let me know how you go on. This is just gentle control of breathing patterns. So easy, we do it in our sleep anyway
Mike

Hope that helps

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1903

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review