All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Fennel
      #128577 - 12/07/04 08:53 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I suffer from really bad bloating, and fennel and peppermint tea don't seem to do much. I was wondering though whether the vegetable fennel is known to help. Or is it only the seeds that have theraputic benefits?

For those who fennel tea has helped with bloating, how many cups a day do you drink? I chug down tea like its going out of fashion, and wonder whether perhaps the bloating is made worse from so much fluid consumption!?

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel new
      #128586 - 12/08/04 12:03 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi there, I suffer from C and bloating and slight acid reflux so no peppermint tea for me. I drink a cup or two of fennel tea a day and another tea called Yogi Stomach-Ease tea (my absolute favorite). I start off the day with a cup of chamomile though (just to give myself a calming start). I hardly ever drink while I eat - either 30 mins before or toward the end of the meal (if I am having a glass of wine for ex.). I drink a few glasses of room-temperature water in-between meals (sounds like I'm drowning here...). Basically I have a glass of something standing next to me on the table at work (never "force" myself to drink of course). In regards to the vegetable fennel - I eat it with basically everything. Yes, I have heard that the vegetable aids digestion (as do the seeds I imagine, but haven't used them in cooking yet). I slice it thinly and put it raw on a sandwhich with tuna or tahini, I cook it in the oven, you name it. Always have a few bulbs of fennel in my fridge. Feel that it helps me. Sorry for the long answer - hope it can help you as well. ciao, mary

Thanx Marymary new
      #128589 - 12/08/04 12:41 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Marymary, do you find the fennel bulb helps with your digestion and bloating? I drink about 4 - 6 cups of peppermint/ fennel tea a day but I suppose its hard to say whether it helps because I also try so many other things (eg aloe vera, IBS diet, small portion sizes, probiotics). I don't mind the taste of the mixed fennel/ peppermint (and I love peppermint on its own) so I may as well keep guzzling it. Can't do me any harm

And I'm very pleased to say that today - so far fingers crossed - is the first day in weeks that my bloating has been manageable. I usually get bloated no matter what I eat or don't eat. The only thing I've done differently today is eat less, so perhaps the answer for me! Damn!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Happy to help new
      #128590 - 12/08/04 12:56 AM
marymary

Hey again! Same problem, very annoying - I tend to overeat and it is my main culprit when it comes to bloating (even overeating my portions aren't HUGE, but I notice how much better I feel with small portions) . I do find that the fennel helps me (maybe psychological?). I love peppermint tea so thanks for the peppermint/fennel mix tip! Hadn't thought of that. Will try a bit and see how I react. Happy to hear (and knocking on wood) that your bloating is manageable (I almost had a flat tummy this morning! hurray!). I have to say that exercise is what has helped my bloating the most. Regular exercise (doesn't have to be extreme, but for me: I start the morning off with home exercises, always walk up 3 flights of stairs to work, etc.). I am determined to fight back and GET RID OF THE BLOAT!

marymary new
      #128600 - 12/08/04 04:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Unfortunately, I have found that the fennel tea has also done little for my big time bloating! I drink 2 cups a day at least. One after lunch,and one after dinner.Perhaps Heather's tea is stronger?

Also, thanks for the vegetable fennel tip. Shouldn't the fennel be cooked if put onto sandwhiches, etc? I know raw veggies are bad for me.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: marymary new
      #128603 - 12/08/04 04:35 AM
marymary

Hi Augie, I tolerate raw fennel quite well (slice it thinly), but you can boil it or cook it in the oven as well (very yummy!). Just a thought - do you drink the tea DIRECTLY after your meals? I usually find that I benefit from waiting a while before drinking (so that I don't dilute the digestive juices in the stomach). Like I said, just a thought. Evil bloating.

Re: marymary new
      #128616 - 12/08/04 06:03 AM
Augie

I usually drink a glass of citrucel before the meal, and have a cup of fennel tea right after. Is it okay to drink the citricel before the meal? And how long do you wait before drinking the fennel tea after? thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Fennel new
      #128625 - 12/08/04 06:58 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I also find that when I am really in a bloating streak the fennel/peppermint tea doesn't cure it by any means. I wouldn't say it is useless though. Anyway I read through this thread and have to caution about fennel/anise bulb. It is a very insoluble fiber vegetable! I eat it but with soluble fiber and never raw (although I was going to make this salad I saw with it ). But it definitely needs caution and there is a possibility of it helping digestion (the way I heard artichokes do and they have artichoke capsules now) but it is the seeds that help bloating and I am not sure but I think it would be the essential oils in the seeds like are in all herbs. (Note the oil slick on top of the tea). I think that is what it is called anyway. But please be careful with fennel bulb.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Nt for Khrycat as well new
      #128650 - 12/08/04 08:37 AM
marymary

Hi there, I don't know what citrucel is (we don't have a wide variety of drugs and supplements over here...) I tend to wait about (at least) 30 minutes after I've finished a meal to have a cup of tea. Note: I am C and find that this diet doesn't provide enough insolubles for me, which might be why I tolerate the fennel bulb well. Just a note for Khrycat (sp?) who mentioned that it was difficult. Amazing how similar we are but still different...

marymary...Citricel is.. new
      #128672 - 12/08/04 10:11 AM
Augie

an SFS that you put in a cup of water. So, I am drinking this before meals. Not sure if it is okay to drink before the meal if it is an SFS. I thought SFS was suppose to be taken before the meal.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5068

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review