All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Happy Thoughts Thread
      #12811 - 06/30/03 08:56 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Although I know that this board is for posting questions and dealing with the Eating and Struggling side of IBS and other GI Problems, I think that we should start a thread of the GOOD things in life. I know that we all have pain, confusion, frustration, etc. in dealing with this syndrome, and it's sometimes hard to keep a positive attitude about life and questioning why WE are plagued with this.

I'm so thankful for many things in my life and I want to share. I'd love to read about the positive people and experiences in everyone's lives (for those who are willing to share) who make living with this condition better.

Here's mine:

I recently met a man who completely understands my situation. We've only been dating for four months, but we've discussed marriage and are planning to get engaged this year. Initially, I tried to hide my IBS, but realized that I loved this man and he loves me -- in spite and because of the IBS.

It's most definitely love when you're sitting on the couch with a heating pad on your tummy and then jump up and dash for the bathroom and he chants "poo-pee, poo-pee, poo-pee!!!" (I'm IBS-C). You know it's love when you get back from the potty 20 minutes later and he gives you a high five after a BM. It's most definitely love when you're riding in the car and you pass a little gas (ok, he wouldn't say 'little' because it's majorly stinky) and he covers his nose with his shirt and points to me at a red light. It's most definitely love when you're in pain, and you are just 'not in the mood' and he understands. Although greatly frustrated, he rolls over and spoons you until you fall asleep.

I hate having this. I hate to make him go through this with me, but we're completely in love, and I know that the phrase "in sickness and in health" will most definiely be a motto for us.

And, lastly, HUMOR is the greatest tool that we have to get through this. Laughter it the best medicine.

I hope that others out there have the support of a spouce or significant other. I don't know what'd I do without that.

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Happy Thoughts Thread new
      #12814 - 06/30/03 09:34 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

What a great post! Thanks for sharing and I hope you and your man stay very happy, what a sport, he sounds just like my husband - almost 10 years of marriage and 3 kids, he's stuck through quite a bit of my "ills" and has been nothing but GREAT.

My happy post will have to be from my 4 year old - he is somewhat "special", very very bright but also very literal in his thinking and has some other issues related to Asperger's Syndrome, sometimes referred to as "Little Professor" syndrome. So this is especially cute from him:

We tried playing Candy Land with Luke - he's not much for board games (though he'll kick your butt at Memory!) but we had a neighbor's boy for the evening, he's 5, and we thought with him playing too Luke might be interested to try it. Well, his little LITERAL mind made for some funny moments. First off, when we declared we were going to play Candy Land, then got the game all set up, he pipes up, "Hey, what's going on here? Excuse me, have you seen the candy??" He wanted CANDY as in real candy! Then later in the game he got "stuck" on one of those spots where you can't move until you draw that color card, so we kept telling him, "Not yet Luke, you're still stuck!" which perplexed him. Next time his turn came around we said, "Where's Luke?" and from the other room I hear, "Sorry Mommy, Luke is stuck" - I went in there and he'd wriggled himself between the chair and table to make himself literally "stuck". Too funny!! He gave up long before the game was over, but Mason (the neighbor boy) beat Eric (my husband) in the end, if you're wondering.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#12817 - 06/30/03 09:54 AM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi Jules,
Yes, I try to remember the good things in my life, helps when I'm feeling down, and frustrated with my IBS.
Here goes:
My nic name (during IBS-D problems) 1 MINUTE DASH RACER
New T-shirt with logo:
PICKY EATER AND PROUD OF IT - THANKS IBS.
OR
my favorite scent - pee u

I too have a great person in my life, My husband Jessie and he is a great friend and help during my IBS attacks.
Now he is having more heart problems (doctors can't figuer it out) we are worried, And we are trying to stay up and find something to laugh about.
Our joke- lets line up all the doctors and fire them all!
Another joke- 1 weak heart + 1 weak stomach = love match
last joke-Large Ibs ready backpack will travel, but boy do people look at me strangely as I lug it around the hospital!

Keep laughing and enjoying life Jules, you have a great person in your life, just remember your a great catch too.

Paintlady

#12818 - 06/30/03 10:01 AM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

Hi
When I get down and frustrated about how things are going I try to remember that as bad as I think I have it things could be worse. I have a 15 year old son who is going blind and has severe asthma and I have Ibs and asthma so it seems like one of us is always sick but Things could be worse we dont have health problems that are going to kill us.
One good thing my son will be able to drive(very important to teen boys) at least for a very short time. Also My husband eats the very same things I do. Says we will both be healthy eaters.
Shelly

#12820 - 06/30/03 10:57 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks Jules for this great idea I love to read about other people's lives.
Our exciting news in my family is we have a new 31/2 year old nephew from Columbia. My sister and her husband got back from Columbia about two weeks ago and we are headed to Milwaukee on Thursday to meet him. His name is Jhon and he is really excited to meet his new three boy cousins ( my children)!
I will be married 12 years on Sunday (July 6th) and we have three awesome boys! My boys keep us busy and sometimes I get tired just watching them, because they are so full of energy!! So far we had four sets of stitches and one broken foot and lots of bruises on the legs.
Mostly I'm thankful everyone is healthy is my family.
Barbara

#12828 - 06/30/03 11:50 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I have a wonderfully supportive husband. He eats chicken even though he gets sick of it. He trys whatever concoction I've brewed up. He always eats what I cook or makes his own food. When I'm down he picks up the house. He always puts the toilet seat down (I always thank his mother for that). He's very supportive if I'm feeling down in the dumps. He likes to make me laugh. My mother and father are very supportive, I think my mom had IBS when she was younger and my dad has a "nervous stomach". My sister has bought books and always researching stuff for me. My brother-in-law is always cutting article out of the paper for me. My brother-in-law's sisters are great. One of his sisters is married to someone with Crohn's and IBS and because of his family history at a high risk for cancer. His other sister is always praying for me along with his parents. My husband's mother is very understanding as she has had some digestive problems in her past. I always tell myself and my other family members, it could be worse. I also like to crack jokes about my IBS. I always try to get my neice and nephew to compete with me in a belching contest. If I'm really feeling low, I come here and someone always cheers me up.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12867 - 06/30/03 11:57 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello. I agree with everyone else, with what a great idea this was!

I am also lucky with the support not only from my fiance, but also with my family. As you all know, with IBS, it sometimes makes our choices limited at what and where we can eat. My fiance took a week off of work while I am here on holiday, so we could travel around and do some sightseeing. I always packed my lunch, but when it came to our dinner he was so patient about where we would go. being in the UK, it is a bit harder to find a place that serves "IBS safe" food.

He has been there for me before I was diagnoised and had toxic gas, the stomach pains, and the days without a BM. He also picks up the slack when I am having an attack (a lot fewer now, thankfully!). We also joke about our BM's and when it's him that passes gas, he now tries to pin it on me. A bit cheeky! I don't know what I would do without him!

I truly feel blessed with the support I get off and on the board! Through this all I have learned not to let IBS control my life, as hard as that is at times.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Happy Thoughts Thread new
      #12883 - 07/01/03 07:50 AM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

Happy thoughts
- my loving, caring and giving husband who always hold my hand every night before we fall asleep (we've been married for 16 years)
- a job that I absolute look forward to - even on Sunday nights
- having unconditional support from my husband, family and our circle of friends
- my hobbies: gardening, cooking and of course traveling - when I can
- our condo - eventhough it gets messy at time, we love it, it's "home"
- a roof over our heads, food in the pantry, laundry in the dryer, cars in the garage and plants on the balcony
- today...weekends...Sunday morning...
- this website
- Heather and all of you!

#12891 - 07/01/03 09:35 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

The other day at the library I spotted a book called _14,000 Things To Be Happy About_ and I checked it out. It's about 600 pages long so I've only read about a third of it, but it's fun to read--y'all should see if you can find a copy at your libraries. I began a list of my own...maybe I'll add it here sometime. Good idea, Jules!

#12929 - 07/01/03 03:10 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I too am lucky to have a great spouse (he loves Heather's recipes as much as I do). Here are the non-obvious things that make me happy. I devised this list (a la Sound of Music) to make me feel better on the way to my husband's grandfather's funeral. It worked.

*trains, especially passenger, especially especially steam passenger
*bells and windchimes
*touching fine textiles
*sniffing coffee
*when my cats squeeze their eyes shut and smile
*crossing the top of the Fremont bridge (Portland)
*when people like my art
*painting houses,especially finishing
*grapefruit
*pink carnations
*music by Brahms
*the Truckee river
*owls
*free stuff
*Oregon
*weather warm enough to go barefoot
*french doors
*hand-painted tiles in people's bathrooms
*being able to hear the ocean's waves when I'm about to fall asleep
*being pleasantly surprised (like by seeing a hidden sculpture, an unusual wild bird, somebody winning something great like $1 million for a hole in one, great service from the phone company)
*Webshots.com
* The Red House by Camille Pissarro
* Tug boats at work
* Seeing the Concorde

sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review