All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Ladies-need underwear advice!
      #127765 - 12/05/04 09:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi everyone. I am in need of some suggestions on comfortable underwear! brand names and styles , Hi-cut, brief,bikini,... Or do people just buy any type and go up a size or two in order to be comfortable?

We discussed pants, so how about going to what's underneath?!!! Honestly, I am desparate for recommendations on any brand name and style that anyone has found to be good to relieve pain pressure from clothing. I have major bloating by the end of the day too.

Did you guys need to order a larger size than you would normally take larger size than you would normally take? To give breathing room?

Thanks everyone!!! Need some new undies soon!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (12/06/04 11:13 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can't help with brands, but... new
      #127790 - 12/05/04 11:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What I find are most comfortable are low-rise bikinis/briefs. Not boy leg, the annoying longer-leg ones, but the ones that are low-cut at the top (and they tend to be lower in the leg, too). I don't have super-bad bloating problems, but I find that ANY pressure above a point that's about 2" below my navel makes me feel *horrible*, so I make sure those elastic bands hit as low as possible.

The last ones I bought were stretch mesh, from Wal-Mart, and they are *so* comfortable.

Re: I can't help with brands, but... new
      #127795 - 12/05/04 11:54 AM
Augie

Casey, do you know if these are Walmart's own brand of underwear? I looked and couldn't find what you were talking about. They had two that might be the right ones. One was a low rise mesh, the other was a low dip bikini.By Out of Boundaries or something like that.

Do you usually order your right size, or go a size higher. Like I would technically wear a size 5 but maybe 6 would be better?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Ladies-need underwear advice! new
      #127800 - 12/05/04 12:11 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Augie,

I love the Hanes her way Body Creations (microfiber) with no panty lines. I get mine at Walmart and I like the briefs. They are very lightweight and comfy. The size is kind of tricky. I don't like them too tight but not falling off either. I get the size 9 and I weigh 120 lbs.
I have gotten the 10 which is very comfy, too, but just a little too roomy.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

One of the few things I buy name brand new
      #127802 - 12/05/04 12:19 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I know most folks can't understand it but I find thongs to be the most comfortable thing in the world, I'll never go back. Victoria Secret low-rise COTTON thongs.... the best. I've tried cheaper brands from Wal-Mart because I'm all about not buying the name brand, but others fell apart in the laundry after only a few washes. So I stick with these.

If they fit comfortably under a big ole pregnant belly you know they fit well under the bloat. That's just me, though!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#127806 - 12/05/04 12:45 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I like the hipster cut ones from Gap Body. I have them in cotton, mesh, and some lacy ones. Here is one pic: gap body. Old Navy has a similar cut. I find them very comfy, and the seems/lines don't show under my pants.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

knickers! new
      #127811 - 12/05/04 12:59 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I agree with Casey, low rise cotton hipster briefs, I get mine from Penneys or Marks and Spencer, which won't be any help to you I'm afraid. The key is the low rise, the leg is really up to your personal preference.

--------------------
S.

Re: One of the few things I buy name brand new
      #127823 - 12/05/04 01:52 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I love thongs, but I won't buy anything from Vicky C as they don't make or carry my bra size... personal issue.. I get mine from fredericks of hollywood mail order or from a local shop that carries decent quality ones- when hey have sales all the better..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

To all who answered, size question *DELETED* new
      #127838 - 12/05/04 02:50 PM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Amanda Panda new
      #127839 - 12/05/04 02:52 PM
Augie

Do you usually get the currect size from the back size chart, or get a larger size? Thanks for the help. They look like they could work

--------------------
~ Beth

Hanes Body new
      #127842 - 12/05/04 02:54 PM
Augie

I looked for these at my Walmart and couldn't find them. I got the name from a search I did on Underwear!!! You must buy a bigger size than normal for only being 120 pounds.

--------------------
~ Beth

Cailin new
      #127843 - 12/05/04 02:58 PM
Augie

We have a Penny's here if you are referring to JC Pennies? What brand do you get? And do you get the "correct size, or go a size or 2 higher? Thanks for answering. Underwear is a very important thing in a girl's wardrobe I need comfort. My current undies hurt like crazy! Way too tight on the belly area.

--------------------
~ Beth

Michelle and Amie-Thongs??? Really? new
      #127844 - 12/05/04 03:02 PM
Augie

Hard to believe those things can be comfie? Never tried one on. Like I asked the others, do you guys by "accurate" sizes or go up a size or two?

--------------------
~ Beth

Yup, those are the ones! new
      #127846 - 12/05/04 03:04 PM
atomic rose

I couldn't remember the brand name for the life of me, but it was Boundaries something. The ones I got are the low-rise mesh. And yep, I get my usual size, but like I said, I really don't bloat at all. If you wanted to go a size bigger, they'd still fit well - the elastics on top are pretty firm.

Re: Amanda Panda new
      #127849 - 12/05/04 03:06 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

They sit pretty low and don't hug the tummy, so I just get my normal size (I'm about a 2-4 and the small fits fine).
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#127852 - 12/05/04 03:11 PM
Augie

Thanks, sweetie! You are tiny too. Well I am except for my prego looking belly. So they come S,M,L? I guess the small would do for me probably too. Unless they shrink. It's hard to view my belly as a small! Don't you get the bloating thing? And they still fit? I wonder if it matters that I am more a C than D right now. I know you are a D.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Cailin new
      #127854 - 12/05/04 03:12 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

nope, ours is plain old Penneys, not the same as JC Penney.
I buy my own size.

And as for thongs, i like them too, as long as the string is skinny enough not to annoy! THe most painful experience of my life ever was at a college ball when I wore a clingy even dress and a thong with tummy control...the thing nearly cut me in half! I ended up leaving it in my handbag for most of the night , the agony was something else. Too much tension!

--------------------
S.

Tummy Control is evil stuff!-nt new
      #127855 - 12/05/04 03:16 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Tummy Control is evil stuff!-nt new
      #127857 - 12/05/04 03:23 PM
Kevin

Reged: 12/05/04

I've been diagnosed with IBS and every since I started taking this vitamin at www.vitahoy.com I've started having more regular pottie breaks no joke [url=http://www.vitahoy.com]Vitahoy Homepage[/url]

Thanks Casey new
      #127858 - 12/05/04 03:23 PM
Augie

I almost bought the low dip bikini as they looked pretty "meshy" too but I wanted to check with you first. So you got the other ones. The low rise looked even lower than the low dip bikini! They came in a plastic unsealable box, so I doubt they would take returns if they were wrong.

They came in a whole bunch of wild colors. No white or solids at all. All pretty wild blue and brown patterned ones. I may find another side of myself. I'm usually the straight plain white or black kind of girl!

--------------------
~ Beth

Haha new
      #127863 - 12/05/04 03:29 PM
atomic rose

The kooky colors are actually what made me buy them! I was looking for cotton ones - I don't think I've worn non-cotton undies in my entire adult life - but the nutty color combinations sucked me in. I think there's a hot pink pair with neon yellow trim? Yeah, totally up my alley.

They are comfortable, though - that's what really matters!

#127865 - 12/05/04 03:33 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

They don't really go around the belly, so I don't even think about the bloat factor. I definitely do get super bloated, but the undies only come up just past my pubic bone in the front.
You know, with all this underwear talk, I got really confused when you said "I know you are a D." I was thinking ... how the heck does she know my bra size??? Hahaha ... and to think, we talk about all this stuff with perfect strangers! Anyway, yes I think officially I'm IBS-D, but I haven't had D in a very long time. I've actually had occasional C when I don't eat enough insoluables, so maybe I'm really A, if anything. At this point, besides the bloating, I barely even feel like I have IBS at all (as long as I eat the right things).
Anyway, I hope these undies work out for you. By the way, Gap has so many sales that I never buy them full-price. Keep an eye out and only buy them on sale.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#127868 - 12/05/04 03:41 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey those are super cute. I'll look for them next time I buy underwear.

Amanda Panda new
      #127869 - 12/05/04 03:41 PM
Augie

That's so funny!!! I know, it is weird to talk about underwear, BM's, constipation, diarrhea with people we never met!! But I could never talk with this with people I do know and see every day. They would think I was some sort of Bowel obsessed freak!! Always talking about BM's and poop and lack of poop!!

By the way, do you also take acacia?

--------------------
~ Beth

Why doesn't that surprise me!!!-nt new
      #127870 - 12/05/04 03:43 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: To all who answered, size question new
      #127872 - 12/05/04 04:03 PM
khyricat

my non thongs (for periods, etc) are 2 sizes up..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#127882 - 12/05/04 04:32 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I do have acacia and I am trying to get into the habit of taking it, but I've been pretty stable and regular for a while now (thankfully) so it's easy to forget taking it. I originally got stable by using citrucel along with the diet. It's way too gloopy though, so I stopped and switched to acacia. I was good about taking it for a while, but as my schedule got hectic and my tummy got better, it became easy to forget. I'll try to remember to take some tonight!

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Hanes Body new
      #127892 - 12/05/04 05:17 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Yes, I could wear size 8 but I don't like anything tight in my tummy area.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Michelle and Amie-Thongs??? Really? new
      #127893 - 12/05/04 05:19 PM
khyricat

with a thong- accurate since mostly they sit below... with the bikini's I have for when I need a pad (I cna bleed through a super tampon AND a pad in a few hours) I go up 2 sizes.. they are all 7's but I should wear a 5..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#127913 - 12/05/04 06:28 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I don't bloat that much unless I'm about to get my period but I wear bonds hipsters or Target (which I don't think you have in the us but you would get something similar elsewhere, Walmart maybe?) low rise. A lot of the store brand hipsters are just as good. I wore these all through both pregnancies in my normal size so I guess they'd cope pretty well with bloating.

--------------------
Amy

DoubleTrouble new
      #127919 - 12/05/04 06:42 PM
Augie

Is Bonds the brand name? And yes, we have Targets here!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: DoubleTrouble new
      #127920 - 12/05/04 06:50 PM
doubletrouble

Sorry, wasn't sure about target being there. They make their own brand of hipsters called Target "low rise" but I prefer the bonds. Yep Bonds is the name (I just had a thought that maybe bonds is an Aussie brand ) Don't know if they ship internationally or not but they're really comfy and come in high cut, briefs, boy-leg, boxer shorts and all of these are hipsters.http://www.bonds.com.au/Women/default.asp will take you to the website and some pics.

--------------------
Amy

#127937 - 12/05/04 09:55 PM
Tri4mom

Reged: 12/03/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Beth, I'm just catching up on the emails tonight and thought I'd pitch in. Always buy a size or two higher for cotton underwear since they will shrink in the wash. Non cotton types aren't a problem. As for thongs - I love them, too, but its definitely a personal preference.

Sharla
"A fit mom is a powerful mom"

#127979 - 12/06/04 06:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Victorias Secret high cut cotton brief. SOOO comfortable.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#127987 - 12/06/04 06:56 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I definately prefer to wear cotton. I love the "Pink" collection by Victoria's Secret... the low-rise ones fit me the best.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

RachelT and HanSolo new
      #127993 - 12/06/04 07:05 AM
Augie

Thanks for your suggestions!!Since you both get cotton, do you buy your "normal size" according to the package measurements? Or do you go a size or two bigger for shrinkage and/or comfort factor.

Isn't it fun talking about undies. No humility on this board! That's why I love it too. No topic off limits!!!And noone thinks your weird for asking them about their BM's or what kind of undies they wear. I think we live in our own little IBS world sometimes!

--------------------
~ Beth

#128007 - 12/06/04 08:03 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi, guys. I want to add my 2 cents about underwear to the post! I don't mind hipsters, and I don't have too much trouble with stuff on my tummy, but what I HATE is when I bloat so badly that it seems that everything else pinches...pants, for example, or the legs of my underwear. Has anyone found a brand of underwear that is comfortable in this regard, or is the short answer simply to wear a size or two bigger on days when you bloat?

#128013 - 12/06/04 08:13 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

I really like Hanes Her Way bikini cut. They stay in place and are made of cotton. They also are cheap and can be found at K-mart, Wal-mart, Meijer , Target just about anywhere. For a little more pricey undies I like Victoria Secret's Bikini cotton. I also buy 1 size bigger for comfort!

#128021 - 12/06/04 08:27 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

For around the legs, try the hipster tanga from the gap. It isn't a thong, as it has butt coverage, but the legs are cut straight across in the back, so there is a little bit of cheek hang-out, but no elastic bands around the legs. I find these to be the most comfy underwear, whether I get them in cotton or mesh. The mesh ones have a cotton crotch, by the way -- I can't stand anything else!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#128038 - 12/06/04 09:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I find the elastic in the Haynes her way to be too tight. I buy Jockey. They aren't really cotton, more of a stretchy microfiber. I usually wear a panty liner with them. You can get them at most of the discount deptartment stores loke Kohls and Jc Penny. The cotton ones from Victoria secret are also too tight on my belly but the invisible panties are really comfy, no heavy elastic waist in them!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Second that! new
      #128064 - 12/06/04 10:50 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Cotton ones are the best. Victoria's secret either low rise bikini or regular bikini. They last forever and you can get them cheap. 5 for like $10 sometimes when they run specials.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

For everyone who answered new
      #128068 - 12/06/04 10:58 AM
Augie

Do you usually buy a size larger than you should according to the charts for more comfort? Or do you stick to the accurate sizing chart? Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For everyone who answered new
      #128071 - 12/06/04 11:01 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I get my size because the low rise sits beneath the belly anyhow. They fit that way even as pregnant as I got. Otherwise they're hanging off everywhere else and I don't like that. HTH

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: RachelT and HanSolo new
      #128086 - 12/06/04 12:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Buy your regular size.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: RachelT and HanSolo new
      #128123 - 12/06/04 02:35 PM
RachelT

oh yeah... I do buy my normal size. The fact that they sit below the waiste really helps, even when I'm bloated.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#128160 - 12/06/04 04:48 PM
doubletrouble

I usually stick to my regular size as the size up usually slides down all day. Unless they're boy legs. Then I get a size too big and if they're huge stick them in the dryer once or twice till they shrink a bit and fit.

--------------------
Amy

You ladies are so awesome! new
      #128168 - 12/06/04 05:07 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Ok, so I've been finding my undies annoying as @#$% lately, especially with my lates UC flare-up. I was in desperate need of advice, but was too chicken to actually post the question. I'm glad somebody else had the nerve. I'm glad I found you guys, 'cause who else would tell me what kind of undies to where when I'm feeling bloated.

Meg

#128201 - 12/06/04 07:57 PM
Amari

Reged: 10/29/04

I usually have a few cotton briefs some a size bigger and some my size for those bloated days...not the most attractive but comfortable when you need it....
A

Re: Bonds Undies new
      #128204 - 12/06/04 08:03 PM
Amari

Reged: 10/29/04

I love Bonds Undies!!! Cotton and comfortable...there tanks are really good too...I'm not sure if they have imported them overseas yet..but they are Australian. An Aussie Icon!!hehehe...and Pat Rafter doesn't look half bad in them either!!
A

Re: I can't help with brands, but... new
      #128463 - 12/07/04 02:40 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I only wear ultra low rise 1/2 boy briefs (no tummy covering, no leg, but 4inch thick sides). I get them in cotton, spandex lace, and cotton spandex with a cotton crotch. The h&m low rise briefs in Medium (5/6) fit me great, and hit me 4 inches under my belly button. Great under workclothes (no VPLs) and perfect for gap ultra low rise jeans!

I tried loose granny panties, but the elastic, no matter how loose, gave me attacks.

Good luck! Sorry I didn't see this post earlier!

~nelly~

#128474 - 12/07/04 03:12 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I get Hanes Her Way, only in a size bigger than normal.

Good Luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Nelly new
      #129968 - 12/12/04 06:35 PM
Augie

What does the h&m stand for in low rise briefs? Is it a brand name? Where do you find them?

--------------------
~ Beth

RachelT new
      #129971 - 12/12/04 06:42 PM
Augie

I think I bought the wrong kind because they are sooo small on me. What size do you usually get? A medium? Maybe I have the wrong kind. The pink collection had so many different kinds. I thought there was only one type of pink panty! What exactly is the name (style) of the one you recommend? I went on their Some type of bikini or brief or what? Just LOW RISE in nylon? I was totally lost in that store. Then I went on their website and still couldn't find a hipster or a brief.
Thanks, and welcome back!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Bonds Undies new
      #129973 - 12/12/04 06:45 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I'm also a big fan of plain old comfy Bonds undies.

The other ones I like are Bendon's Elle Macpherson range. Lucky for me, there's a seconds shop on the way to my Mum's house, so whenever I make the trip I come back with heaps of cheap knickers!

I usually go for thongs as they sit below my waist and I find them really comfortable.

--------------------
*Emma*

Amanda Panda new
      #129974 - 12/12/04 06:47 PM
Augie

I also had bad luck with this store! I couldn't find just plain hipsters. I found Ultra Rise Hipsters (Tanga) in S/P, but I don't think these were what you were refering to. Is there a regular hipster? If not, maybe I need a M instead, although I only wear a size 4, sometimes 2. But these undies barely covered by "private area".

Maybe I just need some big ole granny pants!

--------------------
~ Beth

#130389 - 12/14/04 08:40 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Well they do sit really really low, and don't cover a whole lot, but I'm ok with that! The ones I have just say "hipster tanga" on the tag. I have them in solid cotton and also so meshy ones. Hope that helps.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Re: RachelT new
      #130501 - 12/14/04 01:58 PM
RachelT

Here's a link for you... web page
They're cotton. Since I'm usually a 6 I get the smalls.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#130534 - 12/14/04 06:10 PM
Augie

When I clicked on the website, the bikini style came up. So do you think that is the best fitting for bloated bellys?!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Amanda, the style I bought new
      #130535 - 12/14/04 06:19 PM
Augie

says ultra Low Rise Hipster Tanga Taaille Ultra Basse . Maybe that last part is french or something! So I'm assuming I bought the wrong style since it doesn't just say hipster. Maybe that is why they are sooooo low they barely cover. Maybe there is a basic hipster and a low rise hipster. I looked up their website but still couldn't find just a regular hipster I don't think. Oh well.

--------------------
~ Beth

#130552 - 12/14/04 07:03 PM
RachelT

For me they work great. If you're unsure, just buy one pair and try them. If you don't like them, there's a bunch of other styles to choose from. Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Thanks!-nt new
      #130553 - 12/14/04 07:06 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#130576 - 12/14/04 09:15 PM
ncartist

Reged: 02/11/04
Loc: Durham, NC

you may not need any more advise, but here's my 2 cents worth any way.

My most favorite and most comfortable underware are actually men's underware. They are an off brand I found at KMart, but I'm sure others will make them. They do not have a hole in the front. The are all cotton and have a wide waist band. The look a lot like the one's by Jockey but the material is a thicker, and they DO NOT RIDE!!

I also found some microfiber panties by Jockey that I like, they are very soft and comfy and they are tagless - the info is printed in the back, but I find only the high waist style stay in place (pretty much granny panty) and they leave very little panty line. My husband even likes them because of the pretty colors. The bikini and high cut leg styles in all brands ride up on me, even if they claim they don't ride.

I hope this helps.
Wendy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2906 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41265

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review