All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
College dorm
      #127639 - 12/04/04 04:25 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I posted this in the Recipie board too, but someone reccomended I move it here. I apologize to the moderators if this is annoying; I'm just trying to get started here.

Can anyone reccomend a few recipies that I can make in my dorm with the following conditions:

1) I keep kosher, so any meat+milk, shellfish, etc. is out
2) I'm cutting back on my meat intake since I'm still an IBS newbie. And I try not to cook chicken in my room for ease purposes.
3) I'm a college student. Which means that while I'm not on a extremely tight budget, I can't buy things that I'll only use once.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: College dorm new
      #127654 - 12/04/04 04:46 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I saw it int he other forum btu this i really more appropriate- I dont' keep a kosher house any more- makes DH happy since he wasn't raised in one and isn't Jewish (he will convert when my dad lays off or we have kids of our own, or adopt again... Cassi wasn't Jewish when I got her and Bill's not being religious and not being Jewish was a good thing when dealing with a 13 year old... adn we got married a few years after that... so he hasn't felt an urge to convert but as I point out sporadically he is more Jewish then many Jews I know just not officially!)

anyway- as to food: Amanda was right... basically anything here except the shellfish recipes are kosher since NONE include dairy- they are either parve or fleshig... I share with mom who still keeps a kosher home... anyway- there are a lot of simple things here, but the bigger question when you mention dorm cooking- do you have a stove? or a crockpot? or hotplate/microwave? what? I dont' want to point you to things that will be more dificult then you can deal with because you dont' have basics to fix them.. if you have access to a fridge though you might want to reconsider chicken since you can use a crockpot for it and let it cook while your in classes all day...

One of my personal favorites is a simple pasta fagoile in a few minutes.. can of chicken broth, can of diced tomatoes, small diced onion or some onion powder, some garlic/garlic powder, can of white beans (northerns or any others), baby spinach leaves (a handful), and some miniature noodles, cook it all till it boils except the noodles and spinach. add the noodles and spinach and cook until they are done (5 minutes or whatever it says on package).. yummy, simple, minimum prep... makes a few servings and reheats wonderfully. just make sure the broth is safe...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#127655 - 12/04/04 04:51 PM
Computr821

Okay, my cooking facilities are 3 burners (stovetop) and 1 oven with two racks. I own a number of pots, I do have a microwave, but I do NOT have a crockpot or a hotplate.

The main reason I'm not cooking chicken (or any meat) in my room is because it's kinda hard to keep the dairy/meat stuff separate in the really small kitchen space that is my 'kitchen'.

--------------------

Re: College dorm - Help is on the way! new
      #127663 - 12/04/04 06:09 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

First of all, I just want to let you know that I keep Kosher too.
Just a few questions:
What kind of cooking equiptment do you have in your dorm? Hot plate, burner, full oven etc.
Do you have a normal size fridge where you can store pre-made foods?

OK- now some advice from a Jewish Mama with the need to feed.
PASTA is your best friend. It's cheap and easy to cook and easy on your stomach.
You can have it plain or dress it up. Add veggies, melt soy cheese over it etc. When I was a dormer I lived on macaroni and soy hot dogs. I have a few recipes for you(mostly parev) just let me know about your cooking facilities.

EGG BEATER can be scrambled just like a regular egg but it won't make you double over in pain. It's 1/4 cup of beater per egg. Spray some cooking spray (PAM) into a skillet and mix the eggs in a cup with a drop of salt. Scramble it into the pan and after about a minute flip it over. Make yourself some toast to go with it and a few veggies (not too many) and that's a quick and easy meal.

Rice is also great but if you're IBS-C I would't reccomend too much of it.

Sandwiches and wraps work great on the run. Also, keep a package of rice cakes, safe crackers, or any other safe snack in your back pack because hunger can sometimes cause stomach discomfort and you never know when you might get stuck somewhere where you can't get safe food. (Try Osem or Kedem Tea Biscuts)

OK get back to me about your kitchen situation and I'll give you a bunch of recipes. Good Luck.
Chany

OK - here's a bunch of Parev Recipes new
      #127671 - 12/04/04 06:49 PM
Casper

Tuna Wrap
1/4 cup tuna fish salad (made with low fat mayo)
1 tortilla wrap
1 slice soy cheese (optional)
2 thin slices of tomatoes (optional)

spray a sklillet with non stick cooking spray
spread tortilla with tuna
place cheese and tomatoes over tuna
roll up the wrap
turn on flame to medium
place wrap crefully seam side down to crisp (about 45 seconds)
gently turn it over with a skillet
allow other side to crisp

scrambled egg beater
1/2 c egg beater
salt an pepper to taste

scramble eggbeater in a bowl with salt and pepper
spray frying pan (skillet) with non stick cooking spray (pam)
Pour out eggs and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes
flip and cook other side

Hearty Oatmeal

(per serving)
½ c. quick oats
1 tsp. brown sugar
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of ginger
1 c. soy milk or water
¼ tsp. vanilla

1. Mix in a pot over a medium flame
2. When it starts to bubble it's done

Pan Cakes

1 c. flour
1/4 egg beater or 2 egg whites
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c. soy milk
1 tbsp. baking powder

1. Pour egg into a glass pitcher
2. add milk and beat
3. add the rest of the ingredients and mix well
4. pour cakes onto greased skillet over a medium flame
5. fry till cakes bubble
6. flip and fry other side until it rises slightly

Tuna Casserole

1 c. cooked macaroni
½ c. tomato sauce
1 can tuna
2 tbsp. oil
¼ cup egg beater or 2 egg whites
½ c. bread crumbs

1. preheat oven to 350*
2. Mix all ingredients except cheese
3. Pour into 8" pan cover with foil
4. Bake at 350* for ½ hour
5. melt soy cheese over the top (optional)

Bread - Banana
2 medium sized bananas
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
½ c. egg beater or 4 egg whites
1 c. brown sugar
¼ c. oil
¼ c. apple sauce
1 tsp. baking soda
½ c. parev chocolate chips

1. preheat oven to 350*
2. mash bananas into a bowl
3. add each ingredient in order, mixing between each one
4. Pour into a loaf pan
5. Bake at 350* for 1 hour and ten minutes

Bread - Zucchini

3 medium Zucchinis
¾ c. egg beater or 6 egg whites
2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. oil

1. preheat oven 350*
2. Peel 1 ½ of the zucchinis
3. Grate all three zucchinis into a bowl
4. Add the rest of the ingredients
5. Put into two 8" greased loaf pans
6. Bake at 350* for 1 hour

Cookies – Sugar

¼ c. oil
¼ c. apple sauce
¼ c. egg beater or 2 egg whites
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. confectioner's sugar
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ c. granulated sugar
¾ tsp. vanilla
1 ¼ c. flour
½ tsp. baking powder

1. preheat oven to 375*
2. grease a cookie sheet
3. in a large bowl mix all the ingredients in one at a time
4. Add flavorings (chocolate chips, sprinkles etc)
5. Roll into 1" balls Place 2" apart on cookie sheet and flatten with a cup
6. Bake 8 – 10 minutes

Muffins – Basic Mix

1 ¾ c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. oil
¾ tsp. salt
½ c. egg beater or 4 egg whites
1/3 c. sugar
¾ c. soy milk

1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. Combine Dry ingredients
3. Add eggs oil and milk
4. Add flavorings (chips, raisons, berries etc)
5. Pour into 12 greased muffin tins
6. Bake at 375* for 25 minutes

Also you can probably convert most of your favorite recipes into IBS safe ones. Replace margarine and butter with oil and/ or apple sauce. Replace eggs with egg beater or egg whites (it's 1/4 cup egg beater or 2 egg whites per egg) Check out Heather's recipe index. Most recipes are parev and are either Kosher or can be made kosher with a bit of tweaking.
I don't know how you feel about soy products but - there are alot of parev initations out there, hot dogs, cheese, milk ice cream etc. I'm picky, but I find the Tofu cream cheese and American cheese to be OK. Soy dream makes a great vanilla soy milk and some of thier ice cream products are kosher too.

Good luck. Check the recipe index. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. That's what this web site is for.
Chany
P.S. How do you deal with fast days? That seems to be one of my biggest problems.

Re: "OK - here's a bunch of Parev Recipes" and Fasting new
      #127677 - 12/04/04 07:29 PM
Computr821

WOW! Thanks you SO much for all of that, I really appreciate it. Looks like I have something to do tomorrow with my free time. And yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of soy, but since it will probably make things better for me, I don't really have a choice.

And as for fasts, well...I just don't eat for the fast. Breaking fast is usually the hardest, and I try to ease in with liquids first then keep the meal light, like pasta or breads. Before the fast is the problem, so at home, my mom makes salmon or something like that, because fish is pretty easy to hold. And I drink a lot of water.

--------------------

Re: OK - here's a bunch of Parev Recipes new
      #127715 - 12/05/04 03:20 AM
khyricat

Chany- I was going to post recipes this AM but you beat me to it.. I think he's got a good start.. another jewish mama here thinking he needs to eat... I'll read over what you posted more and add some additional ones at some point today or tomorrow.

as to fasts- I don't anymore- docs orders... I normally limit what I eat during a fast day, but I don't fast- took plain white bread with small amounts of peanut butter with me to sneak during YK day (in my knitting for the 2 breaks in services) and I had 2 bottles of water- one with acacia in it... I am far from the only person with water in services, and also not the only person in our congregation medically required to eat.. so we normally put our stuff near where they feed the kids and just eat standing in that closet or the classroom if the kids aren't in there... it works and I feel fine, but I also feel like I did "fast" sorta since I'm not eating what I would normally eat or as frequently... plain bread or bread with a small amount of PB on it for protein are far from my favorite foods!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#127719 - 12/05/04 03:26 AM
khyricat

pasta fagoile works with vegetable broth too.. but one note- if your issue is kashrut and you aren't eating dairy anymore (you will find you feel a lot better without it!) why not do what 2 of my cousins have done- they have fleishig kitchens- each of their husbands has one tiny cabinet and small spot in the fridge for cereal, bowl, spoon and milk.... they are both truly allergic to dairy, but they keep kosher.. Nyla had to expand that a bit for the baby, but not much since she breastfed and uses mostly pareve soy based dairy replacements in the house now.. her daughter is used to drinking soy milk rather then milk, though she does get an occasional treat of it from her father- she has a single dairy bottle! (only a little over a year old). You might find it easier to keep a fleshig kitchen on this diet... just a thought... we've talked about returning to kashrut except for some items for Bill to use when he has to have things that aren't kosher (most of the stuff he preps himself...) and we'd just store those in a special cupboard- they already are and put special dishes there for use with them.. already have the spare dishes since I used to keep kosher.. but we're waiting until we move... bigger kitchen=easier seperation. The plan is to have a fleishig kitchen... with a small area set aside for non kosher/dairy- since I never serve dairy even to visitors...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#127769 - 12/05/04 09:27 AM
Computr821

Well, my roomate still eats dairy, even if I'm cutting back. But in all likelihood, I'll change it over to meat next school year.

Thanks for the help!

--------------------

#127826 - 12/05/04 02:02 PM
khyricat

ah- roomate complicates things.. I'll post a few recipes, but some of the things- like what I just made will work.. I have a new toy I'm going to post about in a few minutes.. small amount of tomatoes, spices, and water and some canned beans added in the alst few minutes of cooking to rice in my new microwave rice cooker.. took less then 15 minutes from start to table and YUMMY!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I'm a fellow college student... new
      #127841 - 12/05/04 02:53 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

at the mercy of the dining halls and of friends since I'm only allowed to have a microwave and a mini-fridge because of the fire code, and I don't have a car to go grocery shopping. I realize your situation is different since you can cook for yourself, but keeps these two things in mind...

My best advice is to make friends with your professors, advisors, boss or any other adult you deal with frequently, especially someone who has kids of their own. My relationships with these people have saved me from certain insanity. When all my medical problems got to tough for me to handle and I was considering dropping out of school for a while, my professors and advisors came to my rescue. They pick up groceries for me when they do their own shopping, bring me dinner a couple of times a week, and nag me endlessly to ensure that I'm taking care of myself. I realize you may not be comfortable sharing your problems with everyone, but since I work in the Dean's office, I know a lot of the professors in my college who I can trust. All you need is one person who's willing to lend a hand if you find yourself in a rough spot.

My second bit of advice, if you eat on campus in the dinning halls at all, is to make friends with the cooks. If you explain the situation, they are usually happy to accommodate you. I attend a university with over 40,000 undergraduate students, and after some difficulty fighting my way through the bureaucratic channels, I discovered that the people at the bottom of the hierarchy have no problem baking a piece of chicken or steaming some veggies for me if I just simply ask.

Good luck, and I hope you find some helpful advise here on the boards.

Meg

Fasting - Preperations new
      #127845 - 12/05/04 03:02 PM
Casper

I'm almost hesident to post this but... Someone gave me some great advice. Drink Powerade the day before the fast. Now I know that Powerade is NOT the best drink for our tummies, but I found that Icould stomach a glass or two (not in one sitting) if I had some bread first. IT Wokred! I fasted a whole Tish Baa'v (that's usually the hardest fast for me) without getting nauceus. So if you can stomach it. Drink a small bottle throughout the day before in small amounts. It will make a HUGE difference, b/c you won't get dehydrated.
As far as breaking the fast... I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and a lgass of water and then wait anhour before I eat anything else.
Hope this helps. (I was also tols that except for YK ans TB that I can break my fast if I feel sick)
Chany

Meg that is great advice! new
      #127853 - 12/05/04 03:11 PM
Casper

I comepletely agree. If you get close to even one or two teachers it's like having family nearby when you need them.
I found out about my IBS only a few years ago, but I've always had stomach problems. As a dormer I was friendly with lots of my teachers and I even baby sat and toututred some of thier kids. When i didn't feel well I always felt tlike a had several Mommy's on hand to worry about me and make sure that I got rest.
I remember when I was a teenager working in sleepaway camp as an art assitant, I was very C and started to bleed terribly when I went to the bathroom. I was sooo scared and my parents were miles away. But the woman I worked for gave me a hug and took me to the infirmary and just got me through it emotionaly.
God luck with your education.
Chany

A dairy free kitchen new
      #127861 - 12/05/04 03:25 PM
Casper

That's such a great idea. My family would never go for it... but it's fun to dream about. I used to be such a Milchig lover in my pre IBS days and my kids love dairy. Since I know where they are coming from I'd hate to deprive them, but my DH is not too fond of diary so I guess it's something to consider maybe twenty years from now when my little ones have left the nest.
(On an interesting side note, my Aunt's house in London has a Dairy only kitchen. My grandmother cooks them chicken for Shabbat and sends it over, but on Friday night they have a fish dinner.)
If you're considering going Kosher again I say go for it! Good Luck! have a Happy Chanuka
Chany
PS if you have any good recipes to send the dormer, send them my way too. I'm always lloking for new lunch ideas.

Thanks for the recipie new
      #127925 - 12/05/04 07:37 PM
Computr821

Just made the tuna casserole; it turned out great! I didn't put in the cheese, but I think I will the next time.

--------------------

jumping in here... new
      #127960 - 12/06/04 04:55 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I do not know anything about the Jewish fast but I do fast a couple of times a year by choice. It is faith related but I have no "rules" as I choose what I want to give up.

I have fasted food for a week...God is awesome, he carries me through! Being borderline hypoglycemic I have to pay close attention to my blood sugar so I drink Slim-Fast three times a day. The rest of the day is water, soymilk or juice, never anything carbonated as my colon would go nuts.

I have no idea if this helps or not but I thought I would share...

It took me three years of not eating cheese before I accepted soy cheese as an option. new
      #128212 - 12/06/04 08:16 PM
Casper

I guess my taste buds had to forget what real cheese was like. I still can't eat it stragiht but it's someting to melt over my pasta or tuna.
Have a Happy Chanukah.
Chany

Re: It took me three years of not eating cheese before I accepted soy cheese as an option. new
      #128239 - 12/07/04 02:31 AM
khyricat

I use it as a substitute for pizza cheese and thats it.. I don't miss cheese anywhere else in my diet and I use just enough on a pizza to hold the vegetables on (I can do mushrooms and some other things like that... )

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I used to be a cheese addict in my pre IBS days. new
      #128317 - 12/07/04 08:33 AM
Casper

So I had to find something. Also I like to eat with my family at dinner time and not feel isolated with my food. Now when they have mac and cheese, I have mac and soy cheese. When they have grilled cheese well you get the picture.

Re: I used to be a cheese addict in my pre IBS days. new
      #128350 - 12/07/04 09:31 AM
khyricat

makes sense.. I do just a sandwich when they eat something or somthing similar, but Bill doesn't get mac and cheese often at home.. if he does I make pasta for me... just no cheese- some other sauce/topping..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 513 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review