All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Question about Acacia
      #127246 - 12/03/04 06:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm a little confused about Acacia. I read that it is suppose to reduce and alleviate bloating and gas, but many people on the board report they still experience these symptoms and many times the bloating or gas actually increases when using the product.

So, I'm confused about the inconsistency. Can anyone help me with this one? I am seriously considering ordering this product, but I already have gas and bloating problems and I am afraid of taking something that will make it worse.

For people who do take acacia and experience the bloating/gas, do you think it is still worth taking it for the BM?

As always, thanks!!!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can only speak for myself new
      #127256 - 12/03/04 07:00 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Before taking acacia I already had the diet down to what works for ME, which takes some time. But I was still dealign with bad C from time to time, accompanied by bad bloating (I mean BAD).

All over the counter SFS made me worse, but I started acacie VERY slowly (1/4 tsp 3 x day) and had none of those bad effects. Once I got up to 2-3 TPS a day I started having a BM either every day or every other day. I am not bloated or gassy, I do pass more gas but I'll take that!

That's me. It's helped those issues, not made it worse. But diet has to be worked out, too. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Question about Acacia new
      #127287 - 12/03/04 08:35 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

As for me, Acacia totally alleviated my bloat and gas! The only time I notice it coming back is at times when I'm upping my dose, and then it only lasts for a couple of days until my body adjusts to the higher amount of fiber in the diet. It has been my biggest help in the bloat/gas department!! I'll never be without it!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Question about Acacia new
      #127310 - 12/03/04 09:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You run a risk of gassy side effects from any SFS if you increase your dose too quickly. Some, like psyllium, can actually cause gas on their own. Acacia has less gassy side effects than other SFSs, but it's not a miracle cure - the symptoms don't all go away just cos you're taking Acacia. It helps, but it's not a cure.

personally its good.. new
      #127440 - 12/03/04 05:15 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I still have some gas and bloat, but my other side effects are gone now that I'm taking it.. I think I will increase it again - and yes epect gas when you do that.. and see if some more of the bloat and gas will go away... and the gas and bloat are a lot less- I went down 2 pants sizes in what I could comfortably wear most of the time.. I still have bad days, but I can trace most of them to DH putting onion or too much ot pepper in something I ate that he cooked.. he's trying, but its trial and error- when I am ok with small amounts of something and he accidentally adds too much.. hard ot adjust.. especially to things I'm used ot eating.. but given everything else its not bad at all.. the biggest helps were cutting out dairy (I had already cut out all red meat), HFCS and artificial sweeteners.. odd that I'm still eating sweet things, just ones that I made and losing weight even though I'm no longer eating the ones designed to be diet..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Linz new
      #127513 - 12/04/04 07:22 AM
Augie

So what is the cure? The million dollar question!!!!!! Oh, woudn't that be just the best day of our lives!!!! If you come up with a cure, let me know!!!! (hope you know I'm kidding).

--------------------
~ Beth

Ecmmbm: new
      #127516 - 12/04/04 07:33 AM
Augie

I've been wanting to ask you how it's been going on the acacia. So your at 3 tablespoons now? How long did it take you to get it that high? Seems like you were able to do it very quickly. Guess every body is different. Do you drink it before meals? I'm glad the acacia is working so well for you. I guess I'll never know until I try it myself. Since you were not taking any SFS before the acacia, what were you doing to get the BM's going?

I too have tried almost every OTC fiber supplement and they either do nothing or just cause cramps and bloat and gas and not even a BM! Yes, I saw the picture you posted of your belly. That picture says it all! I want to print that off and show it to my stupid doctor who keeps telling me to just eat whoppers with onion and mayo and Krispy Kremes (I too need to gain weight like you). He tells me every visit that I should just eat whatever I want and with time my body will adjust to the foods.

PS Your picture is great! What's the cutie pies name?

--------------------
~ Beth

To everyone who answered- I'm afraid new
      #127517 - 12/04/04 07:40 AM
Augie

Thanks everyone,sounds positive. But I think I'm afraid to try it because if it doesn't work, then this will be my last hope. That scares me because if it doesn't work, I will have nothing else to try, been through all OTC SFS's. It may not make sense, but as long as I haven't tried the acacia, there is always hope. If I do try it and it doesn't help the hope is gone. Does that make sense?

--------------------
~ Beth

Ecmmbm:Question about your F&V mix new
      #127528 - 12/04/04 08:17 AM
Augie

Sorry to bother you again, but I wanted to ask you about the F&V drink you make. I found it when I did a search on prune juice. I think you said the mix was one apple, 3 carrots, and 1/4 beet? Did you use the skins in the drink too? I thought that was bad thing? Also,did you drink the entire drink at once with all those f&v's in them? Did you do it on a full tummy?

Do you still drink this even though you are on the acacia? One more question I promise! Did you find the prune juice helpful? I got mixed results on whether prune juice was an okay thing to take when constipated. I think Heather's answer was no. Do you still drink it on top of the acacia and the veggie drink or don't you need it anymore?

I'm sorry I have asked you so many questions. Thank you so much for your patience and help. I'm miserable and am looking for answers from people who seem to be on the right path. I am so glad you are finally getting some relief!

--------------------
~ Beth

I don't mind
      #127531 - 12/04/04 08:34 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I do think Heather says no to prune juice but I'm hesitant to completely stop cold turkey. I mean nothing made me go! I am down to in the morning, I have a glass of about 1/3 prune to 2/3 low acid orange juice (gives some folks trouble so be careful, but I think they are mostly D folks). I put my acidophilus powder in there, too.

I've been puttign the acacia in my oatmeal in the morning (I was having lots of trouble getting it to mix in liquid once I got up to a TBS - so clumpy! But can be drunk down still, I just sort of can't stand the clump factor if I can help it - but the benefits are worth it ....So anyway point is I mix it in drink when I have to but I've found other ways, listed here:) Then mid-day I usually have a smoothie so I put the acacia in there. Then at night before dinner I put it in some applesauce.

For my fruit and veggie juices, I use a good juicer that can juice anything. You DO juice skins because you are getting NO fiber here, only juice/nutrients. I do a couple of apples, several carrots, a celery stalk, and 1/4 of a beet (not the greens). That way you barely taste the beet. If BM's are coming well and soft enough to pass easily then I skip the beet. I've been skipping the beet off and on lately! You can juice so many things for good nutrients - there are books out there just of "recipes" to juice, one I like is "Juicing for Life", it lists out different health issues and which juices can help with those issues. I like to do this rather than load up on vitamin supplements, when practical.

I've written this in a hurry so hope it makes sense!

HTH! My little girl's name is Sarah Michelle, and my boys are Luke (6) and Aaron (4).

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 453 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review