All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Clueless Doctor
      #126583 - 12/01/04 10:07 AM
ludebf

Reged: 06/13/03
Loc: VA

I posted a question on fennel and soy before but I guess no one has an answer? Anyway, I went to a new doctor the other day, I am new to this city, and he told me that I should go on the atkins diet. I explained to him about the IBS diet and told him that it not only controlled my symptoms but that I had gone down two sizes. Well, he was outraged because he says that we were made to eat read meat and not grains. I told him that if I just ate red meat and salad alone, I would never leave the bathroom and he was disgusted because he says this is not possible. He made me doubt myself for a while, but now I believe he is just clueless...this diet has been great for me. I am just concerned about what I read about soy and fennel. Has anyone ever consulted a doctor about this?

What a jerk!!!!!

Lourdes

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Clueless Doctor new
      #126589 - 12/01/04 10:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, he sounds completey clueless. Do a braod search and you will see we have discussed the whole atkins diet many times with the same conclusions, its just not healthy, especially for people with IBS!

I'm not sure what your concerns are with the soy and fennell? I, personally, prefer rice products most of the time over the soy products, just personal taste preferance.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

That's ridiculous! new
      #126591 - 12/01/04 10:21 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My GI doctor has never said anything about the Atkins diet. As for my general doctor, I recently asked her about Heather's diet & she said that there are no studies to actually prove that this type of diet works but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

What a horrible doctor you went to. No sympathy or understanding.

I bumped your other post maybe someone can help you with that one. new
      #126594 - 12/01/04 10:28 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

#126595 - 12/01/04 10:30 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I agree the doctor has no clue what he's talking about! I have a few friends on atkins and I see how they eat - Lord would that kill me!!! I'm not sure what you asked before about fennel and soy, but here's my thoughts in general:
Soy: Works great for some as a dairy substitute because it's versitile stuff - you can pretend that soy is almost anything if you try hard enough. But there are also some of us (myself included) who find themselves rather gassy if we eat too much of it! I also hear that soy cheese is good on sandwiches but not too good for melts.
Fennel - If you have a heart condition there are some forms of fennel that may not be good for you because it can be derived from licorice root which is not recommended for people with heart problems. Other than that, I've heard no precautions on it. I use it in teas and in cooking - buy the bulbs or the seeds as fresh as possible. Lots of people say it helps alot with gass and bloating.

good luck with the diet and hope you find a better doctor!

By the way - where are you in Virginia? I live in Arlington but work in Washington, DC. I went to highschool in the Hampton Roads area.

Min

what an awful doctor... new
      #126610 - 12/01/04 11:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

someone should sue him for malpractice.. mine goes around telling people NOT to go on the atkins diet because of how unhealthy they are (not my GI- my GP!).. and told me not to consider any low carb diet because of my stomach issues... what a difference between docs!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Total total nonsense!!! new
      #126623 - 12/01/04 12:11 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Even if you ignore the whole Atkins-is-terrible-for-IBS-thing, that doctor is talking nonsense and seems to have skipped Biology 101 at med school! Humans are NOT made to just eat red meat. We are omnivores. This is why we have incisor and molar teeth and only TWO canine teeth! Carnivores have mouths full of canine teeth that are designed for ripping meat. We don't!

Jeez, what an idiot. If you were even considering his advice, the above should convince you that this guy does NOT know what he's talking about. Get a new doctor!

#126673 - 12/01/04 01:37 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Sorry your doc is an idiot!! You do what is best for your body!! Don't let someone else tell you have to eat anything you know is going to hurt you!!! BIG HUGS HON!!! I missed the Fennel tea and Soy question Sorry!!!
Hugs!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#126893 - 12/02/04 05:16 AM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

To tell the truth (not to make people paranoid about this), I have never had much faith in doctors. When I started having IBS, I had the upper and lower GI barium tests. The doctors never even suggested that it COULD be IBS. The way I found out about IBS was through my mom. When I went to a gastroenterologist, he was quite unprofessional about it. He actually asked me (in this phrasing): "How many times a day do you take a d**p?" I really thought that he should have been more professional about that. Then, after I had the coloscopy, he said something like, "Yeah, it looks like IBS." HOW can it LOOK like IBS?! Doesn't IBS look like NOTHING because it's when they can't find anything else wrong with you? So, he didn't really offer much advice (nothing about food or anything) but he did want to prescribe a wide range of meds. Grrr. I really don't like doctors!
I think the basis of the Atkin's diet is pretty ridiculous. It's not healthy in the long term it's just a quick fix to lose weight.
Sorry about my ranting. I do that sometimes.

#126894 - 12/02/04 05:38 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

what an idiot doctor!!! don't listen to him...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3445

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review