All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Life Altering Gas problems
      #126479 - 11/30/04 06:34 PM
CYSN Pilot

Reged: 11/30/04

I have just found this web site recently and am loving the book and the information I am learning. I use the peppermint capsules, the fennel tea and stick to the soluable fibre foods --- yet I still have sooooooo much gas every day that it's affecting my life seriously. I can't go anywhere and I am afraid to be around people. Any suggestions out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Life Altering Gas problems new
      #126484 - 11/30/04 06:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I get quite a bit of gas at times and I take charcoal tablets for it. We have de-gas (which pops the air bubbles and makes you ummmmmm, how can I put this, let fluffy off for a run, but charcoal absorbs the gas as it passes through the system. I've found them wonderful. In Aus they're called charcocaps but you just get them from the chemist or health food store so I'm sure if you asked for charcoal they'd be able to help.

--------------------
Amy

#126491 - 11/30/04 07:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I've had a lot of luck with gas-x. Also, the prescription Levsin (aka NuLev, Hyoscamine) helps but makes me feel spacey. The Acacia is also supposed to help with the gas and bloating and I believe it has.
I'm assuming you cut out all carbonated beverages, right? Those are a killer! And dairy?
Feel better soon, and welcome,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#126535 - 12/01/04 06:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second the suggestion of gas x or simethecone tablets and hyoscyamine... also- if you just recently went on the SFS- either it might not be the right one or you might be reacting to the increase in it to your system- thats why people increase gradually.. but some of them give me gas no matter what..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#126544 - 12/01/04 06:47 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

If you have made the switch to soy you might need beano in addition to GasX.

Husband can not have broccoli in any shape or form it will cause stinky gas.

Can you tell us your diet? Sorry that your having trouble, this board understands, work and smelly gas don't go together. It so hard.

#126607 - 12/01/04 10:54 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you tried pro-biotics?? You can get them at the health food store. Also try food enzymes, they will help your body break down the food and produce less gas. The gas-x helps but you have to take the maxium dose and take it regulary. It will keep the gas from getting trapped and becoming painful. It won't help with the stink though! I often have embarassing, stinky gas and I too work in an office and deal with people. Is it possible to keep a book of matches near by? Striking a match right after you fart will absorb the stink, something about the sulfur in the match, it works but people look at you weird, so I started keeping a pretty smelling candle on my desk. I light the match to cover my smell, than lighting the candle helps cover up future gas!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Good ideas! new
      #126618 - 12/01/04 11:53 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I didn't know that probiotics could help with gas. I guess I should try some! That's awesome. I've been taking Gas-X, which helps but I'd like to do away with the frequent gas & the horrible stink.

I like your idea about lighting a candle at work. I do that sometimes.

With the horrible smell that my gas sometimes has, though, I don't even think that would cover the smell. I simply try my best not to let that slip out when I'm around other people at work. At home, I try to run to another room & warn my family or I go to the other end of the house (sometimes it can't be controlled though )

#126621 - 12/01/04 12:05 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Cut out all the triggers (including the gas pecific ones like onion and broccoli), stick at the diet, take a SFS regularly and drink fennel tea. I used to have awful gas all the time and now only get it when I'm going through a bad patch (usually stress or diet caused).

Re: Good ideas! new
      #126622 - 12/01/04 12:08 PM
Okies

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: Oklahoma

It is so nice to read other people have the same problems with smell !!!!

--------------------
Billie Jo

Re: Good ideas! new
      #126626 - 12/01/04 12:17 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Luckily, my hubby has a good sense of humor and we always have lots of incense at home!! I get an even worse tummy ache if I try to hold them in.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1019 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2177

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review