All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spagetti sauce substitute
      #126347 - 11/30/04 09:57 AM
husky

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: PA

I used to live on spagetti untill about 2 years ago when I started having trouble with IBS. I havent eaten it in well over a year and recently I've been dying for some. The tomato sauce seems to be the biggest trigger for me. Does anyone know of a way to make a substitute sauce that will give the same flavor without the tomato?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spagetti sauce substitute new
      #126366 - 11/30/04 11:18 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

Spaghetti is my favorite food and the sauce is a big trigger for me. I couldn't go with out it so someone suggested adding sugar to the sauce it will cut the acidity. I used ragu traditional and added alot of sugar. They said you don't need that much sugar but I just kept adding sugar(3/4 cup). I also didn't overload on the sauce. I am not sure what happens to you but my stuff is usually red if you know what I mean and I am in alot of pain.
Ps. my kids loved it when they found out I was adding sugar.

#126402 - 11/30/04 02:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't think of any way to make sauce taste like tomato without including tomatoes. FEMBETH's suggestion to add sugar is a good one, if it's the acidity that's bothering you. You could also do a search on the recipe board for other ideas - this has come up pretty often, and there have been some terrific recipes posted that feature pasta without tomatoes. Good luck!

#126413 - 11/30/04 02:57 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

How about sun dried tomato pesto? Or regular basil pesto?

P.S. I have a yummy recipe for a non-dairy mushroom and leek pasta sauce if you want it.

Re: Spaghetti sauce substitute new
      #126499 - 11/30/04 07:59 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Is your heart set on a red sauce?
Cause I make a righteous sauce this way. It's an easy recipe, and this is me the crummy cook telling you this:
In a big skillet, make a roux with generous splashes of chicken broth, lemon juice, olive oil, and a Tbsp (or so) of flour, then as the pasta is boiling, add 1/2 can of artichoke hearts and a can of clams to the roux, with some of the juice from each of the cans. Let the sauce thicken up a little, to the consistancy of gravy; you can taste and add more lemon juice if you like it lemony and more broth if you don't. (Of course you don't have to use either the artichoke hearts or the clams, but they're a nice addition.)
Briefly saute the pasta in the sauce when it's done boiling. Very nice, and not a tomato in sight.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review