All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A teen in need...
      #125909 - 11/28/04 06:13 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Well, my doctor has just diagnosed me with IBS, and...I'm a little afraid.

I believe that I have had IBS for a while, but my recent stress from school (I mean huge stress), has brought out the full IBS attacks we all know. I get extremely severe cramping and I constantly feel like I have to 'go', even if I can't. My nausea was much worse before I was aware of this condition, but it sometimes returns in full force, without the slightest trigger (I don't have a glass of OJ in the morning anymore, that's for sure).

I'm vegan, I'm 15, I'm over-stressed, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to this new way of eating and living. I've just started taking these fiber pills (once a day...Prodium, I believe they are called), and this week I'm going to try two a day.

I believe the hardest part of this is when I try to plan things, going out with my boyfriend, with my friends, only to break the date because of too much pain.

I found this site to be a huge help, but I'm still having a really hard time, as I find this site more generated to adults.

Can anybody give me any tips? Do any of your children have IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A teen in need... new
      #125913 - 11/28/04 06:24 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I think most of us are adults (I'm 26) but that being said a lot of us suffered from IBS as teenagers. I did that's for sure. At the time I had no idea what was wrong with me. I just got sick a lot and usually had to cancel on my friends only 1/2 an hour before meeting them, or I would'nt go to eat out with them because it always made me feel worse. I'm glad you found this site though. I've been on my diet just under a week and although I'm still iffy a lot of the time, I can't believe what an improvement I've had. I still struggle with telling people what's wrong with me and have lost a few friends whom I didn't tell as they thought I wasn't interested in doing anything with them. I've opened up a little to those friends I have now and they are wonderful. If I ring to cancel at the last minute I explain why and they just say " okay, maybe next time". Keep up with the diet, it's helped so many people on these boards. I also found as a teenager that keeping a little box in my bag with Immodium and buscopan (an anti-spasmodic) helped. I'd take the anti-spasmodic half an hour before I left the house and have a couple with me in case I started feeling funny again. Hope some of this has been helpful, and there might be other teenagers here (I haven't been around that long) and just remember we're all here and we all understand perfectly what it's like so if you ever need to chat go right ahead.

--------------------
Amy

welcome! new
      #125914 - 11/28/04 06:27 PM

Unregistered

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time - but you definitely found the right place for advice and support! I know how stress from school can be one of the worst things for IBS. You sound like you are starting out on the right track and asking questions is always great! Do you have Heather's books? Getting on the diet is definitely one of the first big steps to feeling better. I hope this helps and it's great to have a new person! Welcome!

#125917 - 11/28/04 06:32 PM
Ravenndark

I've only been diagnosed with this for two weeks and I've already lost two of three friends because of this, because I simply cannot eat with them at lunch anymore! But I plan on asking my doctor for an anti-spasmodic...I'm hoping it'll help!

Thank you!

Re: welcome! new
      #125919 - 11/28/04 06:36 PM
Ravenndark

I haven't gotten the books, no, I'm still trying to get onto the diet, like you said! I just wish there was an instant method, so I could get on with my life! Though, that might just be my impatient self.

Thank you for the welcome!

#125923 - 11/28/04 06:52 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

wellcome raven dark to the ibs mssage board. we are all here to help you with questions on ibs. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#125930 - 11/28/04 07:34 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Welcome to the boards - you'll meet the nicest people around here. I am taking an antispasmodic - Zelnorm. It has helped me 100%. Have only had one attack since starting it (and the diet). It was my fault though (eating to much raw cookie dough - lol). Read the website. Most of what you need to know - before you get the book is on here. Come back and ask as many questions as you need - we are all here for you.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Re: welcome! new
      #125941 - 11/28/04 09:51 PM
Shinshi

Reged: 11/26/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Welcome to the board! You have done well to find this web site so quickly! I am 35 and spent years trying different diets and different health approaches to my problem, but until now have had little success. The diet listed here is certainly worth trying. One thing I have learned is that everyone is different. What works for one, doesn't always work for everyone. However, this diet seems to more the exception as most people that suffer from IBS seem to get some relief. I've certainly noticed a difference and I've only gotten started on it recently!

I know how you feel about social situations. I just recently cancelled a first date due to my symptoms. It can be very frustrating at times, but bear with it as it does get better! You will find friends who are understanding and the good days will more than make up for the bad days! :-)

#125947 - 11/28/04 10:34 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome, Isabel!

Like a lot of people on here, I'm an adult (29), but I've had IBS since I was a teenager - or younger! Looking back on it, I think I started having symptoms when I was 11 or 12, I just had no idea what was wrong with me, and our family doctor just kept dismissing it as "a virus". (Grrr!) Anyway, I can sympathize - school being a huge stress (there's few stresses bigger!), not being able to socialize, etc - been there!

My best advice is to hang in there - the diet does work, and once you get used to it (and it doesn't take *too* long), it's second nature and not at all weird. If you have any specific questions about anything, just ask - we all love to help.

Welcome again!

#125996 - 11/29/04 06:11 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there....welcome to the boards...I noticed you're in Canada like me!!

Just to let you know...there are a couple of antispasmodics in Canada that you can ask your doctor about...so get a pen.........got one? K....first one...Dicetel (didn't work for me but it does work for some people)....second one....Modulon (works AMAZING for me...gave me my life back!! But it also doesn't work for some people) It's all trial and error. Ask your doc about these!!

So glad you found this site...you're on your way to feeling much better...I promise!! *HUGS*

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review