All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: probiotics--Which ones do you guys use? new
      #125953 - 11/29/04 01:15 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I'm not actually taking them at the moment but have done fairly recently. I use inner health plus as they contain something like 30 000 bacteria and it's live bacteria which means it's a lot more effective. Plus you only have to take one a day where as a lot of the other ones you had to take 4-6. Hope this helps

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Things that have helped/not helped your IBS new
      #125962 - 11/29/04 03:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

1. This diet. Heather, I love you!

2. Acacia. It gives me the great effects of a SFS without the horrendous side effects I was getting from Fybogel.

3. Immodium. One a day really helped me to stabilise and it's nice having that to fall back on if I get D.

4. These boards. I've learnt so much and am now totally happy about talking about IBS!

Re: End of the year assessment... new
      #125968 - 11/29/04 03:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Thanks for the explanation. I don't think I'm interested but that's great that it's helping you.

#125971 - 11/29/04 04:00 AM

Unregistered

Things that helped:

1. The diet definitely (and the books just for knowledge alone)
2. Altoids - I can't leave home without them (seriously-i'm a mess if I do )
3. Immodium - always great when all else fails.

Things that don't help:

1. Tea - I've tried and the one time I drank ginger tea it was the one of the worst attacks ever - ick, but can't say that I didn't try.
2. The jury is still out on my antispasmodic pill - I don't take it all the time now, but I always wonder if it's just a mental thing. Oh well, at least it's not too expensive.

Re: probiotics--Which ones do you guys use? nt new
      #125983 - 11/29/04 05:04 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hey I have been wondering where you have been!!!!

I take Acidophilus Probiotic 5. Mine is made by KAL!! I got it at the local Vitiam Store!! Hope this helped!!!

How have you been doing????

--------------------
Heather7476

Custom Probiotics, found online - super strong & pure. nt new
      #126021 - 11/29/04 08:22 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#126035 - 11/29/04 08:46 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Things that have helped...

number 1. Definately Soluble fiber foods, by following heathers diet I have improved so much, thankyou for everything heather!

number 2. Immodium, it is my lifesaver and I couldnt have coped the last 4 years with ibs without it, to whoever invented the stuff I am eternally grateful! Being a student over here means prescriptions are free and so I am so lucky at the moment to get a regular 200 capsules of them...that stress of not having to worry about affording them has alone helped me so much!

number 3. My hot water bottle....this is a slightly new discovery for me but makes me feel so much better when Im feeling poorly(especially after my horrendous attack on sat night!)

number 4. These boards...by the way this list isnt really in order cos this should be nearer the top....to every single one of you out there thankyou so much for all your support...Ive made friends for life!!

number 5. Hot French bread is my savour...seriously it is like a medicine for me!

number 6. Anti depressant brownies...who doesnt love them?? If it werent for them I may still be a suffereing chocoholic!!

number 7.Yoga...Me and my flatmate now ahve regular nightly sessions and its not only improved my energy but I am sure it is soothing to my poor insides aswell!

number 8. Calcium...I really think it is helping!

number 9. Acidophilus probiotic supplements...I dont know how much they help but I know I feel better for taking them and thats what matters hey!

number 10. My ensuite in my uni dorm...I think I would die of embarassment if any of my flatmates had to witness what I often go through in the morning...with this every little bit of it stays in my room! Wahoo!

And the bad things for me have been....

number 1. Peppermint...I have discovered that I am practically allergic to the stuff having had three attacks that nearly hospitalised me after drinking peppermint tea, taking chinese peppermint herbal remedies and after taking colpermin peppermint capsules! However a few altoids or peppermint softmints dont hurt me at all...weird I know!

Soya milk...I really cant handle anything that resembles true dairy...i.e fake milk and icecreams...they completely send me straight into an attack...I think the milkyness(have i invented a new word??)just doesnt sit well in my stomach, tho every now and then I can handle a little!

number 3. I am also in the process of trying anti depressants..I dont know if theyre working yet or not..but apart from being tired a lot they havent had too many side effects...every antispasmodic in the land did absolutely nothing for me !

--------------------
Natalie

#126049 - 11/29/04 09:08 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Just reading this thread has been helpful! Thanks for posting this wonderful year-end assessment!

1) Acacia! Bloating and gas is gone thanks to this wonderful stuff! I plan to never be without it!!
2) Calcium/Magnesium supplement! I learned about it here, and it has not only helped my IBS, but PMS and sleep are both much better
3) This wonderful site is a wealth of knowledge and wise council! Many wonderful folks here with big hearts and helping hands! A truly unique and friendly gathering place!

Yahoo! and God Bless!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#126227 - 11/29/04 06:52 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

My biggest helps:
The rules of this diet (thank you Heather!)
Crystallised ginger and ginger root tea
Rediscovering motilium (domperidone)
Rediscovering my hot water bottle
Probiotics
Peppermint capsules
Yogi tummy tea
Carrs water crackers
Luna Bars (yes yes, I know I originally said I didn't like them but after tasting the lemon and lime and all those zesty ones...well...I'm hooked!!)
THIS BOARD!!! - this has been the best thing about my ten year long suffer with IBS!! Finding others that just GET IT!! Thank you all my wonderful friends...I love you XXX

Not worked:
acacia (still SO upset about this :-()

uhmmm thats it....

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#126466 - 11/30/04 05:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

1.Avoiding triggering foods(basiclly following the diet)
2.Taking Metamucil everyday
3.store brand Colace
4.Zelnorm(not on it currently, but it did help)

Did not work:
1.Acacia(I know, my body is weird!), Citrocel, Benefiber
2.Miralax(gave me attacks)
3.Slippery Elm
4.Lexapro

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review