All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Things that have helped/not helped your IBS new
      #125791 - 11/28/04 10:44 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

The diet itself is also my biggie... especially giving up dairy and fried foods. Here's to another great New Year, thanks to Heather!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#125796 - 11/28/04 10:58 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

My biggest things that ever helped were following the EFI diet, taking fiber supplement, calcium supplement, peppermint caps, exercise, and hypnotherapy.

The one thing I'm really not sure of is probiotics. I take them (when I remember ), but I can't really tell if they're doing anything for me or not.

Great question new
      #125799 - 11/28/04 11:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Good question!

These things have helped: Celexa, astragalus, proper diet and not eating triggers, peppermint, camomile and fennel tea, yoga and meditation.

These things haven't helped: fibre, prescription anti-spasmotics (Modulon and Dicetel), probiotics and peppermint caps.

We're all so different, what may work for some, has not worked for me and vice-versa.

Awesome idea! My list: new
      #125826 - 11/28/04 12:50 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Things that have helped:

Imodium and main mgmt meds
Ultra low rise jeans
Total temperature control in room and car
Bedroom with bathroom attached

^----- (you wouldn't believe how many stress triggers I avoid by not having to race to another room to use the bathroom. BF asking if I'm ok, guest in the living room, avoiding little or no privacy, or even just the act of running!! I'm so glad I can avoid all of that now!)

Also:

Giving up caffeine
Diet in general and adding sushi
THESE BOARDS, OF COURSE!

^----- (being able to talk intelligently about problems/concerns with intelligent fellow sufferers who have been there is life saving! My quality of life is so much better in the last 5 mos of knowing you guys and feeling free to express and share my feelings in a place I am not judged or burdened with having to try harder to get better for everybody else's sake. You guys are so great, you don't even know!)

~nelly~

Re: Awesome idea! My list: new
      #125836 - 11/28/04 01:11 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes, I want to add Imodium to my list and having an attached bathroom to the bedroom. It is great! We have to bathrooms in our apartment which is such a bonus! I can do anything I want in there for as long as I want and not have to worry about someone needing to use the bathroom!

End of the year assessment... new
      #125869 - 11/28/04 03:21 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Hm! Great question.
It's hard to separate one factor from all the factors that I've put into play this year, but I'd say that this cocktail:
Reliv vitamin and fiber supplements. (Interestingly, Reliv is high on my list of things that I'm really happy with. I think the vitamin supplement in particular is a big contributor to my improved energy and lessened PMS symptoms.)
Probiotic.
IBS 100 hypno tapes. (have completed the entire course)
Peppermint and fennel capsule supplements.
Digestive enzyme supplements.
Food portion control; diet rich in whole grains and fruits and vegs. (I'm C)
Heat on the abdomen when it doesn't feel well.
Lots of liquid intake all day, every day.
With all these things working for me, I've noticed a huge increase in energy, huge decrease in PMS symptoms, better sleep, better attitude.
And at least now when I have a bad gastro-intestinal episode, I pretty much know exactly why, and what to do to make it better.
Great holiday season, everyone- Advent, Christmas, Hanukkah, Rohatsu, Solstice, Kwanzaa- whatever your holiday!

Re: End of the year assessment... new
      #125882 - 11/28/04 04:09 PM
Sara-Sage

Hi there, what is the Reliv vitamin? What's in it?

Thanks.

Re: End of the year assessment... new
      #125907 - 11/28/04 06:01 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

It's a whole line of supplement products. The ones I take are "Classic" which is a multivitamin powder supplement (tasteless, so you can mix in whatever beverage you wish)- and "Fibrestore", a fiber supplement.
In case you're interested, here are the complete ingredients of "Classic"- as you can see, it's basically a really comprehensive combination of vitamins & minerals in pretty big doses, plus some herbs and stuff thrown in.
You can do a search on this site to get some more info and discussion.
Like I said, I'm pretty pleased with it as a product; the downside is that it's kinda pricey and it's sold through a pyramid sales system. You can only buy it through a licenced retailer, which is kind of a pain in the butt.
I've been doing a little comparative shopping, and I find that there are a few other products that are really quite similar and less expensive, available at places like the Vitamin Shoppe. When my present can of "Classic" runs out I'm gonna try one of these.

#125932 - 11/28/04 07:51 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

1. IBS Audio 100 Hypnotherapy--This has done AMAZING things for me.
2. The diet, especially controlling how I take in insoluble fibers.
3. SFS.

These three components have left me feeling (gasp!) normal again! I no longer worry after lunch about whether I'll be running out of class! (knock wood)

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: probiotics--Which ones do you guys use? nt new
      #125949 - 11/28/04 10:50 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9253

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review