Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
weird food triggers?
      #124992 - 11/23/04 03:27 PM
Chickadee

Reged: 11/02/04
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Hi, Everyone,

I have a food combination that always triggers IBS stomach-aches for me - and I've never heard of anyone else having it.

I can eat sugars, and I can eat starches, separately, but if I combine starches - rice, pasta, or potatoes - with sugar, in the same dish or the same meal - I get a stomach-ache. I've even tested it - a tsp of white sugar with a cup of plain white rice gives me a tummy ache. But on the other hand, I don't get a stomach-ache if I eat bread or flour with sugar (thank goodness!)

I've had mild-to-moderate IBS for about 15 years, and I've had this trigger for the last 10 years.

If anyone has any insight as to why this combination of foods would be a trigger, I'd love it.

And - does anyone else have any triggers that you seldom or never hear of anyone else having?

Chickadee

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weird food triggers? new
      #125005 - 11/23/04 04:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have any insight into that trigger at all... huh. That's a weird one, definitely!

I have or had a couple triggers that were a little unusual, but not completely unheard-of. For the longest time, I couldn't eat more than a teaspoon of sugar, at all, and I couldn't eat anything "heavy", either, even in small quantities... so, for example, the dense, moist quick breads in "Eating for IBS" triggered me, every single time.

Thankfully, those triggers went away... I eat sugar like crazy now.

The only oddball trigger I still have is that I can't eat anything colder than room temperature, ever. No cold drinks, no cold sandwiches, no rice/soy "ice cream", no nice cold rice milk on my Honeycomb in the morning - nothing. I guess it's not totally unheard of, but most people on here seem to have no problems with cold stuff.

#125013 - 11/23/04 04:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You know, my friend from Liverpool who figured out she has mild IBS and a gluten intolerance does that. She separates her sugars from her starches. I think that was a popular diet a couple of years ago in England. Do a search for sugar and starch diet on the net. I'll bet you can find the diet.

She sez it did a world of good for her while she was on it. Good luck!!

~nelly~

#125076 - 11/23/04 11:31 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's REALLY weird as bread is made from the same stuff as pasta!

Casey...cold new
      #125077 - 11/23/04 11:32 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I have that too! The only thing I do have is soy milk straight from the fridge on my cereal - but by the time I get round to eating it, it's not that cold!

Soy ice cream I eat in TINY mouthfuls that I hold on my tongue till they melt!

#125088 - 11/24/04 12:22 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I have incredible violent reactions to the smallest amount of avocado. In fact, if it wasn't for avocado, I'd never have had myself diagnosed and would still be thinking this was normal.

--------------------
*Emma*

Food combining! new
      #125091 - 11/24/04 03:33 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Yep nelly is right...I actually have a book by a nutritionist who is huge over here at the moment...called Dr Gillian Mckeith...she has an amazing book out called ''you are what you eat''...for normal people with normal bowels, its a really good book about how humans are meant to eat and how to get the goodness into you to prevent illnesses and diseases etc, including cures. She mentions ibs although I really dont agree with her ways of helping too much after heathers diet. Anyway, the main point is that she talks a lot about food combining and how mixing certain food groups affects digestion. Its actually really true and makes perfect sense....eg some foods need an acid to break down and some need an alkali and if you mix those foods together the acid and alkali fight with each other to break it down causing stomach cramping, indigestions etc. Shes improved so many peoples well being just by getting them to try and follow this way of eating...though its quite tough...you cant have protein and carbohydrates together! You can actually follow what she says and stick by heathers rules at the same time...although this would mean there are even more food you cant eat. I was going to try it in the summer but I didnt. Her website is www.drgillianmckeith.com incase anyones interested...Im not sure how much information she puts online....its really interesting though

--------------------
Natalie

No to cold new
      #125097 - 11/24/04 04:32 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

I have that too! Can't have anything cold - puts my tummy in turmoil!

"You are what you eat" new
      #125098 - 11/24/04 04:32 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I love that programme and bought the book, but its a bit hard to read I find and a lot of the superfoods are not exactly friendly to us. I took in the stuff about salt and sugar most, but intend spending some time reading the book properly and taking notes on it too!

I found the stuff she had about diet affecting fertility really interesting. And the people she has on the programme have such unbelievably bad diets, did you see the Greek family on it, all the salt and red meat they used? Gross!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

cold food =ouch! new
      #125099 - 11/24/04 04:35 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

If the water from the tap is too cold I hold it in my mouth before swallowing it! Cold water really hurts. I don't drink anything else cold and take my fruit babyfood out of the fridge before dinner if I am eating it for dessert.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1081

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review