All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Frustrated
      #12482 - 06/25/03 09:38 AM
skeeter

Reged: 04/10/03

I have had IBS and colon problems for many years. Due to problems with eating certain things, I had gotten to where I would eat a handful of potato chips with each meal. That seemed to settle better than anything else. I become sick easily and my body is under nurished. I love veggies and decided I would get back into the veggie kick. Ever since I started eating fruits and vegetables again the pain is unbearable. I am constantly running to the bathroom. I work a desk job where I assist numerous people in the department and they don't appreciate me running to the bathroom as often as I need to. I can't seem to make friends with anyone cause they say I'm "different". They act like I am diseased. (because I refuse to go drinking and smoking with them) I'm frustrated because I'm young, I hurt all the time, I can't keep people at work happy because of my stomach. I have gotten to where I swell up so much it hurts extremely bad to wear my slack and work clothes. After a day of wearing slacks, I my stomach and all the way down between my legs is all swollen up. It swells up so bad it is umcomfortable to sit and uncomfortable to walk. How embarrassing. Please help me. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated new
      #12489 - 06/25/03 10:59 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

The gas & pain is probably from the fresh fruits &veggies. Do you take the peelings off. It would probably be a good idea to cook them. Also try eating bread or something first,not on an empty stomach. If I eat an apple or raw veggies I am in pain.

#12491 - 06/25/03 11:14 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Follow Heather's way of eating and you will feel so much better. Eat cooked vegetables and fruit. Eat applesauce (you can get it in small containers to use at work) for example.
Drinking and smoking is bad for anyone's health anyway so you're not missing much! It's good to be different in that respect but just get yourself healthy.

#12511 - 06/25/03 01:01 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I still eat fresh veggies and fruit, because I refuse to give up salads. The key for me is I don't eat veggies and fruit on an empty stomach and don't eat those items much past noon. I have a lot more problems with fruit, so I only eat bananas and applesauce. The only veggies I avoid raw are brocolli, cauliflower and iceberg lettuce.
It's okay to eat veggies and fruit, but eat after a souble base meal. Heather doesn't discourage veggies and fruit, but she cautions everyone to be careful how you eat them.
Hope this helps.

#12534 - 06/26/03 06:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Yeah, fruits and veggies are tricky. We need to eat them but we have to do it carefully. I would avoid eating them during work hours until you figure out what you can tolerate.
For breakfast, why not try a fruit smoothie? Add soy milk, a banana, a dash of honey and any peeled fruit you like, or even strawberries/blueberries. If the fruit is frozen, you have a nice cold, thick smoothie to eat. I find this the safest way to eat fruit. Blended and with the banana and soy milk it's much easier to tolerate.
Then, try COOKED veggies at supper. Start with stuff like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots. Remember, the more mashable a veggy is, the easier it is to digest. Ie. carrots mash easy and broccoli doesn't mash hardly at all. And, broc is a major gas producer. Try these AFTER you get home from work. With any luck, you will eventually be able to tolerate some fruits and veggies at work. Just take it slow and listen to your body.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#12551 - 06/26/03 09:11 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Always eat rice, french or sourdough bread before veggies and fruit. Try drinking hot, strong fennel tea to help elivate the bloating and gas. I let my tea steep for 15 minutes. Drinking it throughout the day. Go see your Doctor. If you can, get tested for food alergies, and other ailments involving the colon and digestive system.
Try drinkin strong ginger, peppermint, chamomile teas too. They help too!
Good luck
Cloudygirl

#12642 - 06/27/03 06:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I forgot - ALWAYS take fruits and veggies either with or after some soluble fiber - like bread, rice, potatoes, etc. This also helps the digestion.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 871

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review