All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nausea and smells/D
      #124725 - 11/22/04 04:31 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

This is much inspired by Nelly's post about raw food in LR.

I get really nauseous if I have eaten and I can smell someone else's food. You know when you are in a restaurant and you are eating your dessert and someone else's steak dinner comes out... 20 mins earlier I would have thought it smelled great but once I have eaten the smell of food makes me want to go!

Same goes for if I don't clear the dinner table. You know the story, you bring your plate in front of the TV and lounge. Even when I get takeaway the moment I am finished eating I have to clear the plates out of the room and put all the wrappers in the bin or I can't stay in the room...and I am NOT little miss tidy!

Does this bother anyone else or should I check out if I have OCD?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea and smells/D new
      #124731 - 11/22/04 04:40 PM
Ambie_t2004

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Illinois

I have the same problem. I get really nauseas but ussually it's only if it is the food I ate. Like I can handle smelling other food as long as it isn't what I just ate.

#124735 - 11/22/04 04:47 PM

Unregistered

no OCD there cause I definitely am like that too - if i'm feeling on the edge already smells can send me over the top - or if it's a bad enough smell it does it all on its own. A couple weeks ago I went to a thai restaurant with my family and I had kinda not been feeling great all day and just sitting and smelling all that I couldn't take it and had to go (thankfully I'd driven separately from them). There's this girl in my classes at school from Jamaica and she always comes in at least once a week eating this bag of mixed nuts and such and it smells so nutty that it just gets my stomach churning. Happened too when a girl was eating a tuna sandwich a couple months back too. Smells can be VERY powerful! Lol...maybe we are just both weird

#124737 - 11/22/04 05:03 PM
beth71

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

My husband always told me it was all in my head, when I would say that some kind of smell made my belly "act up." I started to believe him, but asked my GI doc anyway, about smells, and he said that smells directly affect your intestinal tract. They can bring on the spasms and "attacks" depending on how sensitive your IBS symptoms are. Now, my husband just tries to find ways to make me feel better when the smells are too much. Where we live in California is surrounded by farm land, and they are forever fertilizing it and harvesting, and the smells are from one extreme to another...I have a super hard time driving down the road when my belly is on edge.

Sorry for rambling. In a nutshell, I just wanted to say the smells get me too.

-Beth

Amazing! new
      #124744 - 11/22/04 05:41 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I personally don't experience this, (apart from getting attacks from cigarette smoke - but I think thats more the smoke then the smell) - but it is amazing to read about a smell's impact...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Interesting..... new
      #124748 - 11/22/04 05:47 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I cant say that Ive actually had an attack from a smell before...then again if I did Id have thought it was all in my head because I never realised other people worried about stuff like that too. I know it definately makes my stomach churn though...in a kind of icky butterflies way! I also agree with dalia...excessive smoke in your face definately sets me off!!

--------------------
Natalie

#124757 - 11/22/04 07:00 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi! I get this too. Sometimes when I'm packing the dishwasher after dinner I kind of gag on the whole days food smells coming out of there, or even plates on the kitchen sink that haven't been rinsed! It can affect me the other way too. If I go into a restaurant or walk through the food court in the mall when I'm feeling a bit dodgy it can trigger a huge pain in the belly and I'm pretty much ready to go home! It's kinda nice to know I'm not the only one! I thought I was imagining it.

--------------------
Amy

#124845 - 11/23/04 08:53 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey Sinead!

So funny to read that you guys have this too-- I LOVE THIS FORUM!! People have been insisting that this was in my head for soooo long. We had one of those chore wheels in college, and I had to have my name premantly taken off of throwing out garbage, cos I just couldn't do it. One year early on my roomies FORCED me to keep my name on the wheel (<sorority girl whine> Noo special treatment, nelly! We allll have to do it </sorority girl whine>) so I just paid the neighborhood kids to come in and do it. Hah on them.

But yeah, everything you've listed is the same with me. Food forever in the dishwasher, garbage out, old plates, etc. Cleaning the bathroom never bothered me, tho. Guess by the time it's not really "food" anymore, well that's ok. And considering how much time I've spent in the bathroom, too... well I guess that smell isn't an issue for me anymore.

You guys continually surprise me, I must say!! I'm so happy I can count on you not to make me feel so weird compared to normal people.

You're a lifesaver!!!

~nelly~

#124870 - 11/23/04 10:19 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I work in a resturaunt so it doesn't bother me. I get sick from the smell of certain laundry detergent and certain gum because it bothered me when I had morningsickness almost 5 yrs ago and still bothers me. (weird ha)I am being treated for some OCD traits. That does not sound like a OCD trait but everyone is differant. MAY THE PLATES CLEAN THEMSELVES (LOL)

LOL!! -nt- new
      #124976 - 11/23/04 02:31 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

#125118 - 11/24/04 06:06 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sinead, I have OCD and I've never heard of smells being a trait. It sounds like you're just sensitive to smells. Some people are (judging by the responses here). My best friend has the nose of a bloodhound. If there's a dirty diaper in my house, she can smell it. Some people are like that.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#125172 - 11/24/04 08:06 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I have a very sensitive nose. The things that bother me are strong perfumes or colognes and clorox and things like that. If I am in a small space with someone that has on strong perfume I think I will freak out. Once, I tried on a sample of perfume at the store and it gave me the worst headache.

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review