All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I've been told to eat MOSTLY insoluble fiber!!!
      #124653 - 11/22/04 12:25 PM
adcseg

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Ohio

I am so confused! I'm a newbie and I'm really trying to figure this whole thing out. I have IBS-A and I really want to get this under control. After I found Help For IBS, I felt like I had been saved. I read everything, and I read it again. I immediatly copied all the recipes that I liked and put them in my book at home and went on a big grocery shop. I was SO happy that I found something I believed in to help my condition. After a long day at work with nothing left to do in my last hour here I went online looking for another source of recipes. I found this website- www.wholehealthmd.com and on the home page I selected "healing kitchen" it then had me "select an ailment" when I selected IBS The first thing it told me was to eat foods HIGH in Insoluble fiber.
Should I just ignore that or is there an explaination? Can someone help me understand??

--------------------
~Annie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I've been told to eat MOSTLY insoluble fiber!!! new
      #124659 - 11/22/04 12:44 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey welcome!
The advice to eat insoluble fibre is correct in the sense that we DO need to eat more fibre, and that it is very nutritious. however they make the fundamental mistake of not distinguishing between soluble and insoluble fibre! that is the difference between relief and endless ibs hell!! insoluble fibre is important but it eat carefully on a base of soluble fibre....take heathers advice..please don't take the other advice!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Do NOT do that! new
      #124663 - 11/22/04 12:57 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Before Heather's diet I went all raw... I thought I would die. But it was supposed to be healthy and help people with C, according to things I'd read and been told. I'm not kidding - I truly thought I was dying. Whole wheat stuff was the same, and all those super high fiber cereals, OMG!!!!!

I have to follow the principles of Heather's diet but add in more insol than some. HTH!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

this is common MIS-advice! new
      #124665 - 11/22/04 01:08 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I was told to do this by 3 doctors before I found this site and I got worse and worse with my symptoms (IBS-A...) now I am so much better.. I do sometimes need to add more insoluble fiber because if I don't get enough I do get a bit C, but most of the time I am just fine with a limited amount and tons of soluble fiber.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#124668 - 11/22/04 01:27 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I originally had the same concerns. But nothing the doctors were telling me at the time was helping (except no dairy for a while). Anyway I figured I might as well give it a try - I could not see anything harmful about the diet.

Long story short - within a few days I was feeling significantly better and within a few weeks I thought there was hope! I've been on it for one year now and doing a gazillion times better!!

Try it and keep us posted.

Leigh

#124675 - 11/22/04 01:59 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Welcome!!! I agree with what everyone else has said!!! Stick with Heather's diet!!! I hope you feel better and come back to chat!!!!
Good Luck!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#124676 - 11/22/04 02:00 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

You can go on almost any site and read about treatments for ibs and they will say a high fiber diet. Trust me and everyone else on this site that that will cause havoc in your g.i. system. Heather's diet is the best diet for ibs as many of these people that write 'eat a high fiber diet' have never had ibs, and Heather has.

#124692 - 11/22/04 03:05 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

This diet on this site as worked for all of us which is why we have hung around here. My GI dr didn't recommend a diet as he said that he has patients who do great on both a low insoluble and a high soluble diet and that different people react differently. I know Heather's plan has worked for me so its the way I recommend.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#124716 - 11/22/04 04:17 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

In the good old days that was the only information I could find in books because the internet was not yet available. The books told me to eat Wheat Bran by the tablespoons. I did that for years. It was horrible. I started really slow and increased it slowly as recommended in the health books. It did work but it took many months and left me with a lot of gas. The D was so bad every time I increased it a little and it took weeks to adjust to every little bit. It did work but Heathers approach is much better. I tried them all.

#124718 - 11/22/04 04:25 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there, everyone's telling you the truth! Does your doctor or the person who did that web site have IBS? Probably not. Trust us, we ALL have it and know very well from personal trial and error.

You can have both types of fiber when you're stable. But until then, stick with the soluable fibre that is much easier to digest. There's tons of info about the different foods you should start with on this site.

I looked at your link. Did you notice that you were experiencing way more gas, bloating and other symptoms following that diet? I would expect so. Everyone experiences IBS differently. It's all about trial and error.

Best of luck!

#124784 - 11/23/04 02:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Dalia's got it - they don't know enough to distinguish between the IF and the SF. I tried the IF way and thought I was dying - it was the worse I've ever been. I've been on Heather's diet for over a year now and it's what got me (and keeps me) stable. Please DO NOT do the insoluble fibre diet - it HURTS!

#126339 - 11/30/04 09:42 AM
adcseg

Thanks alot everyone!! I've only been on heathers diet for a couple weeks and I can already see a difference!
I'm SO HAPPY I found this site!

--------------------
~Annie

Re: Do NOT do that! new
      #126343 - 11/30/04 09:50 AM
adcseg

Thanks alot everyone!! I've only been on heathers diet for a couple weeks and I can already see a difference!
I'm SO HAPPY I found this site!

--------------------
~Annie

Re:The key is having BOTH SF & ISF for me (IBSC) -nt- new
      #126357 - 11/30/04 10:33 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2052 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review