All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lexapro anyone?
      #124636 - 11/22/04 11:27 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

anyone IBS-D and taking lexapro (anti anxiety)? Please tell me your experience(s) with it. thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lexapro anyone? new
      #124677 - 11/22/04 02:05 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

I have been on 10mg for a month and see a definite improvement in my anxiety which in turn helps my ibs symptoms. By following Heather's diet and taking Lexapro, I am doing better.

#124686 - 11/22/04 02:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

There have been tons of previous posts on this. Hit the search button at the top of the page (beside where it says message boards).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#124728 - 11/22/04 04:36 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm not on it but Casey (Atomic Rose) is and seems to be having great results. As far as I know she is an IBS-D.

Do a search for her name or anti-depressants in general and you'll find TONS of info.

Btw, I'm an IBS-D and am taking Celexa and it has helped loads.

Good luck.

#125247 - 11/24/04 01:45 PM
stomachache

Reged: 11/13/04

My doc said i had ibs. He first put me on bentyl. This stuff worked great as far as my stomach goes. I could eat anything and not have a problem with going to teh bathroom. Only thing, my mouth was so dry that i could barely swallow and it caused tightness in my prostate. Felt uncomfortable. SO he then took me off that, did the upper and lower, said it was gastritis/ibs. He felt it was my anxiety effecting my stomach. I would get upset stomachs when i would get nervous and anxious. For years i have been dealing with this. He put me on 5mg a day of lexapro. I started taking it and first thing i saw was the sexual side effect. It gave me a resistance when i was about to ejaculate and a tightened feeling in my scrotum all day. I felt as if i was in a fog and not normal. It made me feel a bit more care free and in return a bit more social. I am very talkative normally, but this just made me not care lol. It helped my ibs where it calmed me down so i would not have a problem needing a bathroom. But i wasn't into the way it made me feel. Maybe cause it was new in my system and i didn't give it a chance. I stopped taking it after about 5 days. Didn't want to deal with the sexual side effects. I am not on librax which seems to calm my stomach down a bit, but not like bentyl. One thing i have noticed and changed is my diet. I am now eating all organic foods, no fast food, pizza, etc. and my stomach is 90 % better. I feel much better. I suggest eating organic foods. I am tempted to go back on the lexapro, but hate the side effects. A friend of mine suggested cymbalta instead. Lexapro works for ibs because of the brain receptors. Lexapro and a few other drugs calm them down and control the stomach spasms. I don't have the ibs where i am constipated, I was going too much and anxiety was really making it worse. I'd love to hear a few responses. Thanks

#125288 - 11/24/04 02:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I wasn't going to reply to this because I'm an A, not a D, but I always had more problems with D than C anyway, so I'll put in my 2 cents.

I love Lexapro, and they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands if they ever want me to stop taking it. The initial side effects were a little unpleasant, but those went away within 2 weeks. I felt better mentally after only a few days on it, and my IBS symptoms improved dramatically shortly after the side effects went away. I had a lot of problems with nausea and lack of appetite, and of course some anxiety problems (panic attacks, mostly) - all of that is a thing of the past. It hasn't been a "cure", I still have attacks, but they're few and far between, and usually hormone-related (not anxiety-related like they used to be).

Hope that helps a bit!

#125302 - 11/24/04 04:00 PM
BAD CAT

Reged: 11/24/04

ATOMIC ROSE TOOK EVERYTHING RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH (EXCEPT) I HAVE NOT TRIED THE LEXAPRO, IS IT REALLY THAT GOOD??
BAD CAT

Re: Lexapro helpful for pain? new
      #125478 - 11/26/04 10:46 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

For everyone who finds lexapro helpful for their IBS, does it help for the pain, the cramping and spasms?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Nope... new
      #125480 - 11/26/04 11:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't found it's done anything for the pain/cramping specifically... I just have fewer attacks over all. Also, for me, one of the problems I had that was contributing to attacks and keeping me from getting stable is that I just wasn't eating enough, because I was afraid to eat - obviously, being an anti-anxiety drug, Lexapro helped greatly with that, and that affected my IBS symptoms positively.

Lex & Celexa new
      #125500 - 11/26/04 01:06 PM
Pezz

Reged: 10/06/03
Loc: NYC

i'm IBS-D and i was put on lexapro a year ago....it helped my anxiety pretty quickly and took me out of panic-attack mode. as for the IBS it helped moderately. if i can keep my anxiety down i can keep the IBS symptoms down...typically

i'm now on Celexa b/c according to my doc the Lexapro has a shortish shelf life...it tends to taper off after one has been on it awhile...not in every case but i was definitely one of them. i've only been on Celexa 3 days and it takes longer to kick in than Lex so i'm not sure about it yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1854

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review