All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy Over With!!!!(what Happened)
      #12412 - 06/24/03 02:17 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Guys,
Well its definitly been hectic and definitly not fun, but yes, I am finally done my colonoscopy. Well, it was planned for today, and I was supposed to start my prep on Sunday, but I had diarrhea all day saturday and sunday, and I felt so sick as it was. Then, on sunday evening, I had to take six sennokt (senna laxatives) I was fine for a couple of hours, but then the abdominal pain came, and it was bad, that I was suffering and could not go to sleep. I kept on running to the bathroom and could not stay comfortable enough to fall asleep, infact, every time I tried to sleep, I woke up in pain.It so sucked being in the bathroom between midnight and 2am! Luckily I had my new Harry Potter book to keep me company. I finally fell asleep at 2am and then awoke at 5am with the urge to use the bathroom. After much pain, I sipped on jello and sat in pain. I then called my gastro and told her my situation. Shr told me to skip the laxatives for the day, so I felt better. But then, afterwards, I felt all insecure because I wasnt sure if i was cleaned out yet. Anyway, I had a nice long sleep last night, and woke up at 5:30 and drove off with my parents to the hospital in Phili. After I arrived, they gave me an enema (NOt fun- it hurt like hell!) Anyway, after that, a RN inserted a IV through my left arm and after some pain, she was all like "THe bloods not going through, Im gonna stick ya again in your right arm :P" Argh!! So, after some more pain, they took me to the back room and gave me the sleepy stuff. I then fell asleep and woke up 20 minutes into the procedure, and I was in pain!!! It hurt so bad that I started crying, and I wouldnt stop crying until the procedure was done and I was in the recovery room. It hurt so bad though and the doc kept telling me "Im so sorry, you have so many sharp turns in your colon) So I looked at the screen to try to get my mind off the pain and kept on asking the doc questions about the stuff I saw. And then the pain got so bad I sobbed hysterically. THe gastro kept on telling me to pass gas. He was like pass gas, pass!! I started to pass it, and then I had a accident :P How embarrassing!!! Anyway, 20 mins. later, I was in the recovery room and he (the gastro said) said that it was very rare to see anything with the naked eye, and he wont know whats wrong with me until the biopsies come back (in a week) He said that its probly eathier crohns or IBS. I told him that the levsin is doing nothing for me, and he said that if I have IBS, theres nothing he can do for me, and he'll just have to switch me to bentyl and see if that works any better. He said if i have IBD, he can help me though. He then said that if it is IBS, theres very little meds for it and bascally I just have to live with it. He also told me to drink ensure/gatorade for a week to help me gain weight back (Since ive been having D so much) He also told me to get a heating pad. I have it now, and awh... the heating pad feels so good on my tummy Anyway, its all over now and my rear is kindof soar, but im okay. As soon as I got home, I ate a half a pound of pretzels and saltines and luckily theyre both settling, and besides the extreme gas, Im doing okay. All I have to now is wait for next tuesday. Thanks for the support everyone, I really appreciate it!!Oh, and lastly, thanks to my faith for helping me get through it. Oh, and by the way--- Happy Birthday Kerrie!(KinOz!!)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy Over With!!!!(what Happened) new
      #12413 - 06/24/03 02:23 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

((((((hugs)))))))

Sorry to hear you colonoscopy was so painful and that you didn't get to be unconscious for it. I hope that your results come out ok. Don't forget to share the results.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12417 - 06/24/03 03:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Holy cow! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! At least it's finally over!

Let us know as soon as you hear anything.

#12422 - 06/24/03 04:49 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Oh, Angel. I'm sorry you had a rough time. I figured you wouldn't feel a thing. Bless your heart! Now, it's all over and you can relax. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Let us know when you get the results back.

#12426 - 06/24/03 05:26 PM
Chris

Loc: Kansas

Wow,thats bad, i also woke up half way through the procedure, but I grabed the anastealogist(???) arm, dug my nails into her arm, and I think I broke the skin and told her give me more! I hope you feel better soon and everthing comes out OK.

Edited by Chris (06/24/03 05:31 PM)

#12428 - 06/24/03 05:56 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Angela, I am so sorry you had to go through that. I had mine at the end of April and it was NO picnic. I was awake as well and when they hit my intestines with the air I thought it was dynamite. Said, "I'm out of here" and the next thing I knew 3 people were holding me down. Took me a week to really recover. Hope it doesn't you. I DO think there is A LOT to this hypersensitivity to pain with IBS. I used to have a high tolerance to pain. Not any more. Next time I get a colonoscopy it will be under a "general" or no go. Even my gastro said some people HAVE to have that test under a general to get through it. Keep that in mind.
Meantime, rest, and be gentle with yourself. You deserve it!!!! Kandee

--------------------

#12433 - 06/24/03 07:18 PM
BarbaraS

Loc: Wisconsin

I'm so glad we heard from you today and so sorry you had to go through all that pain. Hope you are feeling better soon.

#12445 - 06/24/03 10:52 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Angela,
So sorry that experience was so terrible for you. I can't believe they couldn't give you any more sedative. I know lots of people who've had colonoscopies and haven't heard of anyone having to be awake for it!

Take it easy until you recover and make the most of the new HP book. I'm reading it too, love them!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#12458 - 06/25/03 05:09 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I hope that you are well and the results are good for you. I am sorry to hear of your struggle through the procedure. You will be in my prayers!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#12459 - 06/25/03 05:31 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

You poor thing! It must have been so painful for you. I"m really pleased that the colonoscopy ordeal is over now for you. Good luck with the results and feedback from your doc.

#12471 - 06/25/03 07:23 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

That sounds awful! At least it's all behind you now! (Pun intended, sorry - couldn't help it )

Seriously, at least it's over and done with. Take it easy and enjoy those pretzels. They are my favorite comfort food. My thoughts are with you while you wait for results.

Gretchen

Re: Thanks for the support all you guys -nt- new
      #12494 - 06/25/03 11:20 AM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#12502 - 06/25/03 12:15 PM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I woke up during my first colonoscopy in a lot of pain also. The doctor stopped after awhile because he couldn't get around the curve without me crying! So the next time I had one, he had me completely put under, and I didn't feel a thing.
My doctor told me the same thing about meds and IBS. And so far I think he's right. I've been on three different meds for my IBS, and while they seem to help me stabilize somewhat, nothing completely takes it away. On the other hand, my Crohn's is completely stable and considered in remission through medication (yeah!). I've come to accept that IBS is something I can try to stabilize through meds and diet but will have trouble sometimes no matter what I do.

#12519 - 06/25/03 02:17 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Lordy, I'm glad I didn't hear all these stories before I went in for mine last week. I would have really been terrified. My doc said he would give me "good drugs" and I wouldn't feel a thing----and luckily, he delivered on his promise and I didn't feel a thing. It doesn't have to be painful, does it? I woke up and it was all over with, and I don't remember passing any gas, then or later.

#12606 - 06/26/03 03:55 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm so sorry to hear what happened! At least you'll have some resolution to come out of it -- whether it is Crohns or IBS -- it might make treatment easier for you. I'm hoping for the best!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2510

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review