All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes
      #123584 - 11/19/04 08:07 AM
Sharon Mello

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: 25 miles from Yosemite National Park in Ca.

Hi - I know, I know...I haven't posted in a long time. But I'm trying something new to me so I have to ask you "guys" if you've ever done it and stuck with it and given it enough time to see if it worked.

I got acquainted with Nature's Sunshine products by going to a seminar a few Saturdays ago and found out a lot of interesting stuff. In fact, I sent our Queen Mum (Heather, of course) the CD on Colon in Crisis, which was very mind expanding, to say the least! So I decided to try some of their products with the help of my niece who is a Master Herbalist, Kinesiologist, Iridologist, Clinical Nutritionist, BTA Tech (Biological Terrain Assessment), performs Emotional Release, does mechanical adjustments and uses the Photon SoundBeam. Of course, you also have to eat right.

Well, since I've been doing things she instructed me on and taking pre and probiotics, food enzymes, bioflavinoids, irritable bowel fiber (their formula), etc., and have been eating broccoli, raisin bran, oranges, apples (sans skin), mangoes, pears (sans skin), dried fruits (apricots, peaches, dates--haven't tried the figs yet), along with carbohydrates and chicken, fish, salads and occasionally organic beef, I have felt so much better, both energy-wise and gut-wise. I still let gas go, but not as often and the "stools" (in my case "bupkas") are getting softer and they want out of my body more times a day than just once! And I've been drinking herb teas all day--licorice root, red raspberry, decaf green tea w/lemon grass, camomile, peppermint--all brewed together and I use honey and Stevia as sweeteners. Trying to get off the artificial stuff. My husband just looks at me in disbelief, but as long as I don't "stink" him out of the bedroom (or any room for that matter), he doesn't care what I do as long as I can conquer this thing!

When I first started, the gas was levitating me about 3" off the floor and at about 5 mph around the store. Now, it's happening less and less. I guess my gut is getting used to all the new stuff I'm sending down.

So, you guys and gals out there in IBS Land, have any of you ever tried this approach and if so, what results did you get, if any? And, did you stick with it and give it enough time or get disgusted the first week, like I almost did?

Thanks for your responses. Sorry this post was so long, but you know me!!

Sharon Mello
(Always hunting for answers)

Edited by Sharon Mello (11/19/04 08:11 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes new
      #123620 - 11/19/04 09:04 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I haven't tried this yet but have a question for anyone. I have been following Heather diet for about a month and want to start on the Prebiotics/Probiotics stuff but still have no clue on what to take. Everytime I go into the health store they overwhelm on what I should take. What has worked best for people?

#123654 - 11/19/04 10:06 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't have any answers for ya.... but just wanted to say HELLO and welcome back! I'll make sure Kandee sees this thread......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

That is the way I feel new
      #123700 - 11/19/04 12:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I started digestive enzymes though. Worked great at first but the last 10 days I haven't been doing well at all. I think it is better to stay on them though and try it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#123713 - 11/19/04 01:12 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hey Girl I will show what i take on the 4th!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: That is the way I feel new
      #123714 - 11/19/04 01:12 PM
heather7476

Sorry to hear your feeling bad!! Big hugs!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Thanks! new
      #123748 - 11/19/04 03:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think I feel like I crossed the threshold today. I just get into cycles and have a hard time getting out. It has always been that way with me. But this one was from the China Buffet almost 3 weeks ago (Sunday) and I think I am changing again as of today. Weird huh?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#123834 - 11/19/04 08:46 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi,
About 2 weeks ago I started taking a probiotic (jarrodofollius..sp?) & at first I didn't really see any results but for the last 4 days I've had a BM almost every morning & feeling slightly less bloated. I'm also taking Zelnorm & have cut my dosage down to once a day. Someone else on this board (don't remember who) recommended PB8 as a probiotic so I'm going to try that one next week. Overall I'd say it was helping. I was actually able to eat some veggies tonight & not feel all gassy & bloated. I'm going to stick with this & hopefully it'll keep getting better.
Meryl

Re: Meryl36 new
      #123838 - 11/19/04 08:55 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How many do you take a day?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (11/20/04 08:24 AM)

#123844 - 11/19/04 11:00 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi - I know, I know...I haven't posted in a long time. We've missed you AND your great recipes. But I'm trying something new to me so I have to ask you "guys" if you've ever done it and stuck with it and given it enough time to see if it worked.

I got acquainted with Nature's Sunshine products by going to a seminar a few Saturdays ago and found out a lot of interesting stuff. In fact, I sent our Queen Mum (Heather, of course) the CD on Colon in Crisis, which was very mind expanding, to say the least! So I decided to try some of their products with the help of my niece who is a Master Herbalist, Kinesiologist, Iridologist, Clinical Nutritionist, BTA Tech (Biological Terrain Assessment), performs Emotional Release, does mechanical adjustments and uses the Photon SoundBeam. Of course, you also have to eat right.

For those of you interested, do a Goggle search on Nature's Sunshine products. It is a direct marketing company that you pay to be able to buy the products and be a distributor.
Quote:

Nature's Sunshine Products, Inc. together with its subsidiaries, collectively known as the Company is engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of nutritional and personal care products. The Company sells its products worldwide to a sales force of independent distributors who use the products themselves or resell them to other distributors or consumers. It also sells its products through a separate division, Synergy Worldwide. Synergy Worldwide sells products in Japan, Taiwan, Thailand and the United States. The Company's line of over 700 products includes herbal products, vitamins, mineral supplements and miscellaneous other products. It also manufactures or contracts with independent manufacturers to supply a variety of other products, including different drinks, homeopathic products and powders.

Personally I found them to be overpriced and would never pay a company $40 to be able to buy their products. But with all due respect to the company they DO have some stringent, impressive quality controls.

Well, since I've been doing things she instructed me on and taking pre and probiotics, food enzymes, bioflavinoids, irritable bowel fiber (their formula), etc., and have been eating broccoli, raisin bran, oranges, apples (sans skin), mangoes, pears (sans skin), dried fruits (apricots, peaches, dates--haven't tried the figs yet), along with carbohydrates and chicken, fish, salads and occasionally organic beef, I have felt so much better, both energy-wise and gut-wise. I still let gas go, but not as often and the "stools" (in my case "bupkas") are getting softer and they want out of my body more times a day than just once! And I've been drinking herb teas all day--licorice root, red raspberry, decaf green tea w/lemon grass, camomile, peppermint--all brewed together and I use honey and Stevia as sweeteners. Trying to get off the artificial stuff. One of the Nature's Sunshine products (I believe it was a probiotic booster, whatever that is) uses Manitol and Xylitol, so if your on it you're still using artificial sweeteners but not likely a large amount. How well I know about the dangers of Xylitol. I sweetened some hot cocoa last week with Xylitol and thought I was going to die from cramps and D...and I'm NEVER a D. My husband just looks at me in disbelief, but as long as I don't "stink" him out of the bedroom (or any room for that matter), he doesn't care what I do as long as I can conquer this thing! LOL

When I first started, the gas was levitating me about 3" off the floor and at about 5 mph around the store. Now, it's happening less and less. I guess my gut is getting used to all the new stuff I'm sending down.

So, you guys and gals out there in IBS Land, have any of you ever tried this approach and if so, what results did you get, if any? And, did you stick with it and give it enough time or get disgusted the first week, like I almost did?

I've been on prebiotics (usually Acacia or Inulin) before a meal, and probiotics and digestive enzymes with every meal for well over a year now, and yes, for me it works. It isn't an occasion thing either....I take it very seriously and wouldn't think of a full sized meal without the addition of probiotics and digestive enzymes. My "good doc" got me started on large doses of probiotics and bioflavinoids and a few other things with each meal, and a friend that also has IBS got me started on digestive enzymes. No gas, but there still is bloating. I don't think that will ever go away unless I eat my meals spread out over 8 small mini-meals a day.

All those things you mentioned I do not have a problem eating either, except for oranges, and of course anything with gluten or that is advised against for a person that is hypothyroid. But, no matter how long you are on the routine of taking those things, there will be times when you think you can get away with NO high soluble fiber foods...and that's when you can get bit!! I've had it happen a number of times when I thought I could go without any bread (GF), or rice, or potato or other highly soluble food...A week or 2 or maybe even 3 of that and my gut said "enough is enough"...so even though you will be able to reduce the gas and cramps and eat a wider variety of foods you always need to remember this basic diet and adhere to it when you start getting out of control with the insolubles. At least this has been my findings.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry this post was so long, but you know me!! I'm just as bad...long winded as they would say....Kandee

Sharon Mello
(Always hunting for answers)

--------------------

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - KANDEE new
      #123927 - 11/20/04 08:17 AM
Sharon Mello

Kandee - thx for your response. Just a note though, Nature's Sunshine charges $40 to become a member but you get that in product so there's really no out-of-pocket that you don't get anything for. Some of their products are reasonably priced. I just got a brochure from Puritan's Pride and their product prices compare with Nature's Sunshine. And, yes, their QC is great because they do a QC with EVERY BATCH. I know they're in it for the money (aren't we all when we're selling stuff), but they seem to care about getting the word out to people that if you don't start treating your body right, it'll come back and bite you in the butt. You sound down on them, but I've learned a lot about their products and what their premise behind the product is.

Okay, so I haven't been on the boards for a long time, but how come no one talks about pre/probiotics, etc and using them to help with IBS? I'm trying to get a rise out of Heather, but I think she's bogged down with other stuff and Will was away for a week and she was left do do everything by herself. That's why I sent her the CD on Colon in Crisis. BTW, everything was going great gutwise for me until last night. Don't know what happened, but the gas was unforgiving and I still have it this morning. Guess it's back to rice and flour tortillas for me for today!!! Better than the alternative, tho, right?!

Actually, it makes good sense to me that if your gut is lacking the good bacteria and enzymes (Beano is a digestive enzyme--aspergillus niger to be exact)that should be there to process food and get it on its way, that person would have gut problems, i.e. IBS. It's like when you take anti-biotics for something, it kills all the bacteria--good or bad--and that's why some women get yeast infections when taking them (including me).

As for the artificial sweeteners in one of their biotic products, that probably was a while ago because I just checked the label (which you can do on-line BTW) and there were no AS in them.

Where do you buy your prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes? And, which ones are you taking? Got the prebiotics that you mentioned--thx.

Can you believe that here in a town of 2000 that I can get organic chicken and turkey and beef? I was shocked but we had a new grocery store come in and they carry it and it's only 10 minutes drive for me and on the way to the store. I couldn't believe how good organic (Harris Ranch) beef tasted. Of course, I haven't eaten it for about 6 months either!

Thank you, Kandee, for an enlightening response and I look forward to your response to the above questions.
Sharon

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - Augie - Qty new
      #123929 - 11/20/04 08:21 AM
Sharon Mello

Augie - it should tell you on the bottle they come in. Prebiotics should be taken before your meal because they lay the groundwork and environment for probiotics, which is the actual good bacteria that helps break down the food you eat. They should be taken with the meal.

Kandee knows a heck of a lot more than me about this. Check her out--she's a good source for answers on this.

Sharon

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes-Angela E.... new
      #123932 - 11/20/04 08:24 AM
Sharon Mello

Angela E - check out Kandee's response to my post and then ask her your questions--I'm still new to this. Kandee's an Old Timer (sorry, Kandee!)

Sharon

#123934 - 11/20/04 08:26 AM
Sharon Mello

Heather 7476 - what does that mean???????
Sharon

Augie - Qty new
      #123964 - 11/20/04 09:53 AM
Augie

The bottle says one a day, but I've also heard to take one with every meal. So that's a big difference. I was afraid taking too many would cause constipation or other symptoms. So anyone know what the amount should be?

--------------------
~ Beth

#124067 - 11/20/04 03:34 PM
heather7476

OOPSS sorry!!! I was replying to Angela E post !!!! She is coming to visit on the 4th!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - KANDEE new
      #124202 - 11/20/04 09:27 PM
Kandee

Hi Sharon,

Good to see you back if only briefly. I had just joined the boards when you were getting your shop started so didn't get a chance to know you like a few of the other "oldies".

Kandee - thx for your response. Just a note though, Nature's Sunshine charges $40 to become a member but you get that in product so there's really no out-of-pocket that you don't get anything for. Some of their products are reasonably priced. I just got a brochure from Puritan's Pride and their product prices compare with Nature's Sunshine.

I didn't get a chance to compare all the prices of Nature's Sunshine products with that which I take but did compare one that was comparable, "Product 11", and it didn't match the amount of live organisms for the various stains of Lactobacillus and Bifidus, yet was $10 higher. However, there is very contradictory information going around about probiotics right now. The newest is that it doesn't even matter if the organisms are dead, they will still work. Others say it's the AMOUNT that counts, others the strain. Go figure. I say, just take the darn things and let your gut do what it wants with them….it will let you know if it's helping or not.

And, yes, their QC is great because they do a QC with EVERY BATCH. I know they're in it for the money (aren't we all when we're selling stuff), but they seem to care about getting the word out to people that if you don't start treating your body right, it'll come back and bite you in the butt. You sound down on them, but I've learned a lot about their products and what their premise behind the product is.

That's great. Education is always the name of the game anyway, no matter who you get it from. No, I'm not down on the company. I only question some of their marketing techniques. I hope, however it works for them if they are viable. This market is highly competitive as it is. BTW, I wonder if they would be willing to offer samples for our Fall Sprawl in 2005.
And we want YOU there!!!

Okay, so I haven't been on the boards for a long time, but how come no one talks about pre/probiotics, etc and using them to help with IBS?

Beats me. The board has changed Sharon.
If anyone is interested in a good primer on probiotics here is one Shawn Eric posted a while back.
web page

I'm trying to get a rise out of Heather, but I think she's bogged down with other stuff and Will was away for a week and she was left do do everything by herself. Heather and Will both are very busy. That's why I sent her the CD on Colon in Crisis. BTW, everything was going great gutwise for me until last night. Don't know what happened, but the gas was unforgiving and I still have it this morning. Oh, I'm sorry.

Guess it's back to rice and flour tortillas for me for today!!! Better than the alternative, tho, right?!
You got that one right. This is what I mean….you can be going along just dandy and think you have it all licked, and you're taking exactly what you are suppose to, and then bam, out of the blue, the gut is going to show you who's boss. I think the key may be in keeping it resting or, at worst, crouching…..but not in the attack mode where it nails us. It's tough, under the best of circumstances!! You have to be vigilant!!

Actually, it makes good sense to me that if your gut is lacking the good bacteria and enzymes (Beano is a digestive enzyme--aspergillus niger to be exact)that should be there to process food and get it on its way, that person would have gut problems, i.e. IBS.

Exactly, and you need different forms for different groups; fats, proteins, carbs, etc. It's like when you take anti-biotics for something, it kills all the bacteria--good or bad--and that's why some women get yeast infections when taking them (including me). Ahhh, you're lucky….that's exactly how I got IBS….antibiotics and NO probiotics to offset killing the good bacteria. NO one told me at the time you need probiotics…they need warning signs on the labels of ALL antibiotics.

As for the artificial sweeteners in one of their biotic products, that probably was a while ago because I just checked the label (which you can do on-line BTW) and there were no AS in them.

This probably isn't one you take. It was the chewable L. Reuteri by Natures Sunshine. I don't know about any of the others. I'll have to check.

Where do you buy your prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes? And, which ones are you taking? Got the prebiotics that you mentioned--thx.

Well, I always hesitate to recommend brands since there are many out there that will do very nicely for us with IBS. I've tried a number of digestive enzymes and they all seem to do fine. Yes, I've also taken Bean-o but found I only needed it a of couple months then the entire gas problem went away. I still carry them with me though. My probiotics I get from a my "good doc" (as I lovingly refer to him) who is an ACAM M.D. at a preventative medicine clinic I go to and for whatever it is worth is also Doctor Phil's wife's alt. medicine and natural hormone doc….and pushing 80 years of age!!

Can you believe that here in a town of 2000 that I can get organic chicken and turkey and beef?
Amazing! I was shocked but we had a new grocery store come in and they carry it and it's only 10 minutes drive for me and on the way to the store. I couldn't believe how good organic (Harris Ranch) beef tasted. Of course, I haven't eaten it for about 6 months either! Have you tried any ostrich meat? It tastes like beef but I think is actually considered foul. It's not to bad, but yes, organic beef IS darn good. Organic anything is better.

Thank you, Kandee, for an enlightening response and I look forward to your response to the above questions.

Sharon

You're welcome Sharon. Don't be a stranger….we "vintage chicks" have to give our input now and then too!! BTW, just so you know…it's all your fault, you know…you and your FF, WW fudgy brownie recipe that was responsible for me putting much of the weight back on after initially coming down with IBS and loosing 35 lbs. instantly….35 I needed to loose. Now say you're sorry…LOL
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - Augie - Qty new
      #124203 - 11/20/04 09:34 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Augie - it should tell you on the bottle they come in. Prebiotics should be taken before your meal because they lay the groundwork and environment for probiotics, which is the actual good bacteria that helps break down the food you eat. They should be taken with the meal.

Kandee knows a heck of a lot more than me about this. Check her out--she's a good source for answers on this.

Thanks Sharon, but I'm certainly no expert..just been doing this routine a long time....But yes, you are right...Prebiotics before a meal and probiotics with. Kandee

Sharon

--------------------

Re: Meryl36 new
      #124205 - 11/20/04 10:13 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I take two a day. One in the morning on an empty stomach & one at night before dinner.
Hope that helps
Meryl

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - KANDEE again! new
      #124238 - 11/21/04 07:59 AM
Sharon Mello

Kandee -

Yeh, well I guess pushing 60 in 4 weeks is considered an "oldie!"

Re Product 11: I couldn't find that product on the product list, but that doesn't mean it's not there! But I did find one comparison on Puritan's Pride of Stevia Powder 2 oz. @$14.95 (and now they're on sale buy 1 get 1--such a deal!) LOL Anyway, Nature's Sunshine Stevia Powder is 1.26 oz. for $13.95. So, yes, PP is less expensive, especially if you can catch them on one of their sales. BUT...what about QC? Guess I'll have to call PP and ask them how they do their QC.

I'll check with NS and see if they'd be willing to give us samples. Maybe they'll even come and talk to us...who knows?

Yep, you're right about the warning labels on antibiotics. Take one thing to help an infection, and then get another in its place. Go figure.

Just found L. Reuteri on the list and checked the label on-line and, yes, you're right. Wonder why they don't use Stevia instead of the other crap??

Re the prebiotics you take--you're not recommending them. You're just telling me which ones you take. If you still don't wanna tell me, it's okay. I'll struggle on my own!!!!LOL

Re bloating--have you tried fennel tea? It really helps. I put it in my tea concoction every morning--you know...it's like eating chicken soup when you're sick...it might not help but it can't hurt.

Re your doc: what's an ACAM MD? DUUUHHH.

Re ostrich meat: Nope, haven't tried it yet. Do the regular grocery stores have it?

Love the "vintage chicks" and I'm so sorry about the FF WW fudgy brownie recipe. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY, but I didn't hold a gun to your head to make them, did I? If I did, I don't remember anything!!!LOL

BTW, who are the animals at the end of your post? Yours? Too darn cute.

Sharon

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - Sharon again! new
      #124248 - 11/21/04 08:52 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee - Hello again Sharon-

Yeh, well I guess pushing 60 in 4 weeks Sagittarius? is considered an "oldie!" Oh, I was referring to the old crowd on the board, many of which are gone now or don't post very often. Guess it was time to move on since "the" diet has worked so well for them. But if it's any consolation, I'm only 3 years younger so I fit into that "vintage chick" catagory too!

Re Product 11: I couldn't find that product on the product list, but that doesn't mean it's not there! But I did find one comparison on Puritan's Pride of Stevia Powder 2 oz. @$14.95 (and now they're on sale buy 1 get 1--such a deal!) LOL Anyway, Nature's Sunshine Stevia Powder is 1.26 oz. for $13.95. So, yes, PP is less expensive, especially if you can catch them on one of their sales. BUT...what about QC? Guess I'll have to call PP and ask them how they do their QC. Eww, I'm not a fan of PP. I buy more well known brands and if bought on line vitacost.com has great prices. Trader Joe's has a pretty fair selection of supplements too, and good prices, especially on things like CoQ 10 and Grapeseed extract.

I'll check with NS and see if they'd be willing to give us samples. Maybe they'll even come and talk to us...who knows? How nice!

Yep, you're right about the warning labels on antibiotics. Take one thing to help an infection, and then get another in its place. Go figure. In my case the side affect, IBS, is here to stay! But I've read about even more devastating affects antibiotics have caused others and see class action suits cropping up by the dozens.

Just found L. Reuteri on the list and checked the label on-line and, yes, you're right. Wonder why they don't use Stevia instead of the other crap?? Good question. You may ask them. Do some research on stevia. It's not all it's cracked up to be either, and a person with thyroid disease is generally advised not to take it. However, there is one herbal tea that uses it that I love..Honeybush, by Wisdom.

Re the prebiotics you take--you're not recommending them. You're just telling me which ones you take. If you still don't wanna tell me, it's okay. I'll struggle on my own!!!!LOL I'm sorry. I must have misread you. I thought you were asking about PRO-biotics, not pre. That's easy, I take the SFS that are prebiotic in nature...acacia, and inulin (FiberChoice--but it has a lot of undesirable fillers, yet is in chewable tablet form). If you have some better, please share!

Re bloating--have you tried fennel tea? I should grow the stuff I drink so much of it!! And yes it really does work. Only 2 things do for me...walking, walking, walking and fennel. Like you, I drink herbal tea all day long. I have a stash no one would believe and drink what ever I feel like at the time. Some are straight, others are combos. It really helps. I put it in my tea concoction every morning--you know...it's like eating chicken soup when you're sick...it might not help but it can't hurt. Ahh, let's see, this morning I had some Pau d'Arco tea since I felt a little like I had a sore throat and that's marvelous for any infections. Later will have some Wisdom Honeybush (a combo) and maybe some Hawthorn later after that. Love hibiscus when I'm in the soda pop mood...it just is a happy, happy red tea.) I can't do peppermint straight anymore due to it promoting GERD in me, but can take Altoids (which have acacia in them BTW)..go figure.

Re your doc: what's an ACAM MD? DUUUHHH. Go to acam.org and look up the specialties of the docs in your area and to get some background on the organization.

Re ostrich meat: Nope, haven't tried it yet. Do the regular grocery stores have it? Sometimes. Usually privately owned meat markets carry it.

Love the "vintage chicks" and I'm so sorry about the FF WW fudgy brownie recipe. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY, but I didn't hold a gun to your head to make them, did I? If I did, I don't remember anything!!!LOL What? You don't remember threatening me with my life if I didn't down an entire pan of the things in 2 days? Shame on you...LMBO..our memory is the first to go you know.. I'll accept your apology but you must promise not to send the prune fairy to my house anymore with any baby food prunes.

BTW, who are the animals at the end of your post? Yours? Nope, not mine, but they are adorable. Shell found them for me when I said I wanted something for thanksgiving in the signature line and was kind enuf to link them to her web site. I can just see it now if I tried to do that with my own. They look at me with that, "you want to do WHAT?" look and walk away. Too darn cute.

Sharon
Have a good holiday...Kandee
It's snowing here this morning (and to think yesterday it was 75 and I was BBQ'ing beer can chicken---organic chicken and organic beer of course...wink, wink).

--------------------

Re: Prebiotics?-Kandee or anyone new
      #124250 - 11/21/04 09:06 AM
Augie

What is a probiotic and can it be found in any other product besides acacia or inulin?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Prebiotics?-Kandee or anyone new
      #124263 - 11/21/04 10:22 AM
Kandee

Quote:

What is a probiotic and can it be found in any other product besides acacia or inulin?

I don't know. Anyone else know?

--------------------

#124270 - 11/21/04 10:41 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Thanks Lady!!

Re: Prebiotics/Probiotics/Digestive Enzymes - Kandee again! new
      #124758 - 11/22/04 07:03 PM
Sharon Mello

Hi Kandee - About L.V. next year--Dan and I are planning on attending. We'll probably drive out...are husbands welcome?? You'll love him--he's so adorable and has gorgeous eyes. Can you tell I'm in love???LOL We'll be married 23 years Dec 8. It's the longest thing I've ever stuck with!!! Came close a few times to not sticking with it, tho!

Why do you choose chewable pre-biotics? Are they better than capsules?? And (another question) it sounds like they're fiber instead of pre-biotic or am I just stupid???

I just tried putting the fiber pills I get at W-M in water to see how fast they dissolve--and they don't. Now they're on my "crappy" list of stuff not to take. The Nature's Sunshine people warned us about pills because they're so compressed, they might not ever dissolve in your tummy. I take NS Bifidophilus Flora Force which consists of L. rhamnosus 2.5 billion, L. casei 2 billion, L. acidophilus 2.5 billion and B. longum 1 billion. Other ingr are FOS (short and long chain, kosher gelatin and H2O. It says, "FOS (short and long chain) is a blend of dietary fiber (prebiotic) that promotes the growth of friendly bacteria. Cultures are freeze-dried to preserve viability and designed to populate the intentinal tract." (I just answered my own question above...duuuhhhh!) I also take NS Intestinal Soothe & Build (nutrients to support the lower bowel, relieves occasional bloating and pressure, soothes intestinal tract). It has chamomile flowers, marshmallow root, plantain herb, rose hips, slippery elm bark and buglewood herb. Other ingr Kosher gelatin and H2O.

Okay...while we're on the subject, I also take NS Irritable Bowel Fiber. It says "provides essential support in maintaining healthy bowel movements (hip, hip, hooray!!--it doesn't really say that), high mucilage ingr offer soothing effects on the GI tract, and promotes regularity and helps prevent the buildup of toxic compounds). It has short chain fructooligosaccharides (prebiotic dietary fiber), marshmallow root, chamomile flowers, flax meal, apple pectin, asparagus stem, fennel seed, peppermint leaves and cat's claw inner bark. Whew~!

I take more pills than anyone I know and I drink at least 65+ ounces of fluids a day and I still do bupkas.

Speaking of hibiscus tea...have you ever tried Jimaica (pronounced Him-eye'-ca)? It makes a nice red colored tea and is great when sweetened. It's terrific for bladder problems. Cleared mine right up when we were in Mexico a few years ago and I was having all kinds of problems. You can most likely find it in Mexican groceries. That's where I find it.

I didn't understand the prune fairy line? Did they do you in? Don't think it was the prunes, but the gluttoness of the person who ate all the brownies in 2 days. You didn't share them with anyone?? LOL

Sorry with the longness again, but you're so easy to "talk" to.

Sharon
Have a great Turkey Day, too.

#124776 - 11/22/04 09:46 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I thought you were meant to keep probiotics cold or the bacteria dies, which means I can only take it morning and night. How do people go taking it three times a day? Also do you take it with food or 30 mins before food, or doesn't it matter?

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Brand names for IBS Cers in Australia new
      #124779 - 11/22/04 10:59 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi, is there anyone from Oz who takes a probiotic for C and are really happy with the results? If so can you tell me the brand name? Also just a general question: this whole prebiotic and probiotic routine is news to me. Can you take a prebiotic and a probiotic together?

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Augie new
      #124871 - 11/23/04 10:21 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Hi Augie,
A probotic is in a capsule form such as Acidophilus. Prebotic is in Acacia. The Prebotic (from what I am told) promotes the growth of good bacteria in the gut(promotes the growth that the Probotic has in your gut).

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

me too heather... new
      #124880 - 11/23/04 10:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

I am definitely interested in anything else that will help.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review