All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Gluten intolerance?- Please,Desparate for answers
      #122382 - 11/16/04 10:55 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have had the work done to see if I am Celiac or not. Well, had the test done twice. Both times the first two antibody tests came back post, and the endomysial tests came back neg (this is the one most specific for celiac). The endoscopies both came back neg as well.

All this being said, my GI doc still believes I should be on a Gluten Free diet. I don't want to be on this restrictive diet if I don't need to be. I have been on a GF diet for a year, and still suffer pain and symptoms, which the doc attributes to IBS. I know you can have both gluten intolerance and IBS.
Has anyone else out there had this situation? Did you decide to go on a GF diet, and if so did it help. I know some have tried the GF diet, but did you go back to just the IBS diet?
If anyone can get in touch with someone who has had this experience I would greatly appreciated. I am sick over the confusion to this shuffling back and forth for over a year now: yes you can eat gluten from one doctor, and no you can't from another. I don't know who to believe or trust. And my body is so stressed over the inconclusiveness. I am desparate to hear from others and their experiences and what they found most helpful.
thank you all.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't want to dispute a doctor new
      #122483 - 11/16/04 01:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

but I did have a false positive once. The doc recommended a biopsy which I postponed and I went on GF for awhile and had no benefits. I think doctors were/ are just into Celiac right now as a pat answer for all tummy trouble. I heard it is mostly prevalent in Irish or Italian heritage which I am not.
I had a second blood test a couple years after the first and it was totally negative. If you have been gluten free for a long time and it hasn't worked I'd say you don't have Celiac.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I don't want to dispute a doctor new
      #122519 - 11/16/04 03:49 PM
Augie

Thanks, I don't care if people dispute the doctors. I've come to learn they aren't Gods. Not nearly Gods. Just think they are guessing along with the rest of us.
Problem is my 2 tests came back positive twice, but Kandee told me that sometimes they can come back positive when other things are going on.
Anyone else have this happen to them? I really am frustrated and confused at whether I can eat gluten. I want to so bad. I'm so wanting to try those antidepressant brownies.

--------------------
~ Beth

#122576 - 11/16/04 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

Maybe you should ask your doc to run the next test- which I think must be a biopsy. It seems wrong that you can't know for sure if you have it or not. How long are you supposed to be able to stand waiting for a definite answer?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Gluten intolerance?- Please,Desparate for answers new
      #122645 - 11/16/04 07:24 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I went to see a naturopath for allergy testing a couple of months ago, about 3 months before I was 'diagnosed' with IBS. The allergy testing showed I was intolerant to a wide dose of foods, gluten being one of these. I stopped eating gluten (along with dairy, soy, red meat, nuts, caffeine, alcohol and certain fruits and veges) and my BM gloriously returned to normal My problem was that I still suffered (and still suffer) bloating and gas.

I recently started the IBS diet and have been incorporating gluten back into the diet. Unfortunately my BM have completely ceased and I'm not sure whether its the eating of gluten again thats done it or the drop in insoluble fibre intake. I'm sorry I can't give you anything more definitive!

My plan of attack from here is to go back to a GF diet while also doing the IBS diet (gluten free bread is actually quite yummy!). Once I'm stable again (pray to g*d it happens soon!) I'll start incorporating gluten again and see how I go. I actually think it may be wheat not gluten thats my problem as there is hidden gluten in so many things and I was no doubt inadvertently eating it without realising, and still remaining stable.

I've had an endoscopy and the results for ceoliac were negative, so I too am not keen to cut out gluten if I don't need to. I think its all about experimentation, a little bit at a time. I can sympathise 100 % with your frusturation about conflicting information and not knowing what to do! I think the more I worry about IBS and diet the worse my symptoms have become

Good luck, I'll keep you posted with how I go.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#122693 - 11/17/04 05:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. I'd try going off the GF for a couple of weeks whilst being really careful to follow the IBS diet etc. If you get decidedly worse, then I'd say you're gluten intolerant. If not, then it's unlikely.

I agree. new
      #122695 - 11/17/04 06:02 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you've been following a GF diet for this long with no real improvements in your symptoms, I would try the other 'extreme' for a couple weeks and see how you feel. Fortunately, pasta and bread are a heck of a lot cheaper when you're not fiddling around with GF varieties, so it won't even be an expensive experiment.

If you feel worse, then switch back to GF and figure that it's true that you're intolerant. If you feel *better*, then you'll know that there's no need to keep eating GF, which will open up your options significantly.

Good luck!

#122824 - 11/17/04 11:38 AM
Augie

I've had the biopsy and it came back negative as well.

--------------------
~ Beth

How much of the other extreme? new
      #122892 - 11/17/04 03:20 PM
Augie

Non GF bread, pasta, cereals... And how much in one day?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I agree. new
      #122899 - 11/17/04 03:56 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

I'm no expert at this, but I also agree... you should do a little experiment with non-GF food and see how you feel. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#122900 - 11/17/04 04:01 PM
Augie

But how much guys. Like give me an example of a typical food day to test this out. I need examples!
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

#122904 - 11/17/04 04:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

It doesn't matter... Say if you plan on having something for dinner that includes potatoes... cook the normal amount that would satisfy you. Same thing with your other meals. Just replace the GF food with non-GF food. Either way, no matter how much you consume, you'll still have the same results.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

What type of GF bread do you eat? and... new
      #123154 - 11/18/04 09:12 AM
Augie

is it IBS safe?

--------------------
~ Beth

For Taylahmai - on GF diet new
      #123184 - 11/18/04 10:27 AM
Augie

Thank you for sharing your story. I am feeling better that I am not the only person being torn between these two diagnosis! Not that I'm glad you are!.
Keep me updated on what and how you are doing. My email is listed under my post name deerbeth@yahoo.com.
I still don't know what to do or what to try. In my case, my symptoms and pain persist despite both diets, while yours went away while being on both!
Can you give me examples of what you eat for meals and snacks to stay both GF and IBS safe? Brand names, etc.
Also, do you take an SFS? What type and dose?
Thanks again. Have you tried Kinnick Kinnick rolls or breads? Are they safe as well? GF foods tend to be higher in fat to help hold the unique flours and ingredients together. That's a problem with the IBS guidelines.
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For Augie - GF diet new
      #123329 - 11/18/04 04:24 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Augie, it really is tough trying to work out what to and what not to eat! Who'd have thought something so simple could become so damn hard! So GF foods, I'm from Australia so I don't think I can help you with brand names unfortunately, but hopefully there is someone out there from the US that can. Now that I am on the IBS diet my daily food plan has changed, I used to eat high fibre gluten free muesli for brekkie, a tuna salad for lunch and a grilled fish/ chicken and veges for dinner. Now that I need to incorporate soluble fibres a typical daily food plan at the moment would be: rice bread with jam for brekkie (I make my own bread, theres lots of GF bread mixes available in Australia so hopefully there is in the US), rice, tuna and veges for lunch (I tried veges raw but they're not really agreeing so I'm reverting to cooking them). Dinner is rice pasta, chicken and veges, or rice, fish and veges or something similar. For snacks I have rice cakes or gluten free cookies (they're made with rice and soy flour). Yes I know lots of rice!! But it seems to agree okay with me. I've just started Benefiber yesterday and so far so good. One problem with the GF diet is as you say, they are much higher in fat then non GF foods. But so long as you stick within the IBS fat guidelines you should be right. I think a little extra fat is much more tolerable then wheat products for me. I have a great health section in my supermarket that stocks GF substitutes for heaps of different foods, check it out and let me know how you go.

I'm away for a couple of days so will email you when I get back so we can chat more.

--------------------

#123452 - 11/18/04 08:57 PM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Since your GF diet still leaves you with pain and symptons, why not abandon that to see if Heathers IBS diet will help. To get the quickest results try the BRAT diet. Plus you could add properly prepared chicken to that for protein. Give the BRAT diet a week and you could find that your symptoms start clearing up. Mine did. Be sure the bread is white bread, white rice, unsweetened apple sauce (but no artificial sweetners) and of course the pepo-tea. If you choose to include chicken you can simply get canned chicken (next to the canned tuna) (I eat it straight from the can) or get the frozen chicken breasts or fresh.
Not much variety, but simple and it could stabalize your gut quickly so that you can determine what is at cause of your symptoms when you start adding back foods.
If you get no results from this then pull away the white bread (and rice?) and you should find out if gluten is contributory.
And as the others have mentioned, don't forget the SFS. I use Citrucel tablets which have helped tremendously for me and they are easy to take, ie no prep.
Hope this helps, and good luck. Remember its only a week.
(Oh yeah, I was IBS-D)

Re: What type of GF bread do you eat? and... new
      #123468 - 11/19/04 12:56 AM
Taylahmai

I use Orgran Gluten Free bread mix (which is rice and tapioca flour bread) or All About Bread Amaizing Bread Mix (which is rice and soy flour). I'm not sure whether either of these are available in the US. The are IBS friendly, I've never had any problems eating them.

Basically a good gluten free IBS friendly bread mix will contain rice and soy flour, and maybe tapioca or potato flour.

I like you am in the process of trying to work out whether I am gluten intolerant. I improved dramatically when I stopped eating it and became severely clogged when I started eating it again. Problem is I've been doing so many things lately its hard to pinpoint what is causing positive and negative change

--------------------

what is BRAT diet?-nt new
      #123667 - 11/19/04 10:42 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#123668 - 11/19/04 10:45 AM
Augie

What veggies do you eat with lunch and dinner? Is the rice pasta from brown rice and isn't that a no go on IBS diet?

--------------------
~ Beth

Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast - nt new
      #123671 - 11/19/04 10:48 AM
Linz

#123682 - 11/19/04 11:07 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Augie--I have been going through this same issue for a few years. I tested positive for a gluten allergy years ago (via blood test--not the most reliable method). I found that when I stopped eating gluten I felt significantly better for a few years. I too wanted to know for sure whether or not I am gluten intolerant, because the diet can be restrictive (although there a lot of great alternatives these days). I have had all the tests for celiac disease, including the celiac gene test, and they are all negative. However, I could still be gluten intolerant, despite those test results. About 18 months ago, despite being GF, my IBS-like symptoms got significantly worse--I have been trying ever since to determine the cause. I have not gotten a definitive diagnosis of IBS yet--I'm still going through testing for various causes. And I feel that I have never gotten a definitive answer about celiac disease and gluten intolerance. It's very frustrating.

At any rate, both gluten intolerance and IBS can be difficult to diagnose and the whole process is very confusing. I recently found out about a test that can give a very reliable diagnosis of gluten intolerance (as well as some other food allergies/sensitivities). I found about it on the message board at www.celiac.com (a good resource). I am going to try to do it as soon as I can afford to. It is through Enterolab: www.enterolab.com. It might be worth a try to once and for all rule out - or in - gluten intolerance.

In the meantime, I have decided to remain GF, as well as to stick to the IBS diet guidelines. In my case, doing both of these things has yet to improve the symptoms that started 18 months ago. But until I can find out what is causing this recent long-term "attack", I figure it's worth sticking to the GF and IBS diets.

Another thing to keep in mind: It can take a very long time to recuperate from the symptoms caused by gluten intolerance. Additionally, there is hidden gluten everywhere. I had a lot of problems early on because I kept thinking I was GF so why didn't I feel better--then I'd find out that some favorite food that I thought was safe actually contained gluten. A good example of this: I was using Citrucel as a fiber supplement, and I found out that it contains gluten--though there is no mention of this in the ingredients.

I sure hope you can get things figured out. Please share anything you find out. This is such a confusing and frustrating thing to go through.

Best of luck to you.

Good GF resources new
      #123685 - 11/19/04 11:21 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Here are some good resources for tasty GF foods:
Glutino: http://www.glutino.com/english/index.cfm (order GF products)

Gluten Free Pantry: http://www.glutenfree.com/ (great cake and brownie mixes that have alternatives for making low fat versions; pie crust mixes, bread mixes, etc.)

Pamela's has the best brownie mix ever, and can be made low fat to be IBS safe. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/

Living Without magazine has great recipes and info about living GF: http://www.livingwithout.com/. They also have a lot of dairy free info.

Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Raleys/Nob Hill/BelAir grocery stores have GF food lists in the stores or on their websites. Pick up the list at Trader Joe's at the front of the store. Some restaurants have GF menus (Outback Steakhouse, PF Changs).

And here's a list of a whole bunch of links to companies that have GF products. http://www.gfmall.com/

Judithq new
      #123787 - 11/19/04 04:50 PM
Augie

I can so relate to you. Isn't it the worst thing to not have an answer or relief while following both diets!
I wanted to tell you that I too take citricel and the company assured me that none of their products contain gluten. I think it even says it on some of the canisters. I take the clear formula.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For Taylahmai new
      #124188 - 11/20/04 07:55 PM
Augie

I found someone who knows what I'm going through!
Is the rice pasta that you eat made from brown rice, as I thought that was bad. Or can you handle both brown rice and white rice whether its rice or made into a pasta?

What veggies do you usually have. I noticed no fruit in your diet at all. Is that a problem for you?

Please email me when you return and we can chat about this whole IBS and GF junk.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For Taylahmai new
      #124767 - 11/22/04 08:10 PM
Taylahmai

I seem to handle brown rice quite well, and brown rice pasta is even better. I can actually cope with brown rice better then white rice I think. Well as I said I am new to the IBS diet so veggies and fruit I eat now as opposed to veggies and fruit I used to eat are much different. I used to eat every vege under the sun and didn't realise my gas and tummy pains were attributed to this. So now I eat potatos, pumpkin and beetroot okay, and I think I can tolerate cooked carrot, broccoli and zucchini. I haven't ventured into too many other veges just yet. And since I've been really C lately I've started incorporating more fruit into my diet. I have mango and banana quite happily and I'm starting on pears, kiwi fruit and tinned plums and peaches. Not sure what the result will be. Will keep you posted

--------------------

#124768 - 11/22/04 08:17 PM
Taylahmai

Apparently brown rice is good for people with IBS C as we need more insoluble fibre in our diet. I guess a typical lunch would be rice with cooked carrot, broccoli, zucchini and pumpkin. Yum yum! I seem to cope quite nicely with this. Dinner would be protein with more potato, pumpkin and beetroot with some insoluble veges like carrot and broccoli again (of course watch the amount of broccoli you eat). I can't remember whether you are IBS A, C or D? If you are C you need more insoluble fibre then a D would.

--------------------

Re: Citrucel new
      #126566 - 12/01/04 08:36 AM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I've been thinking for a few years that I am gluten intolerant as I can no longer tolerate pasta. Breads just seem to stay in my digestive system to ferment. I tried GF breads and pastas but find they're not as appealing to me as wheat pasta, and even a few of those caused me gas. A test to see if I am intolerant to be given to me by my VA doctor will come up perhaps in another couple of months. I hope it's reliable. Incidentally, I've been drinking clear mix citrucel for at least a couple of years now, from one to two glasses daily, and I haven't had any trouble with it. Actually, without it, my life would be very miserable.

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

Were you TOTALY GF? new
      #164655 - 03/28/05 09:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Meaning no soy milk or other products UNLESS it said luten free on it/ How about citri acid?

I am JUST learning these things are not okay.

Two years ago I went GF. I felt better. But since my tests came back negative I went back on gluten. I am going off again.

Biopsies and blood work. If your doc misses PART of the blood work it might giveyou a false negative. If your doc doesn't know how to do the biopsy you also might get a false negative. AND (for more confusion ), the biopsy is not always accurate anyway because you may have flattened villi in patch A in your inestines but they took a sample from patch B and never found the flattened villi

If you are SURE you were 100% GF and you still do not feel better chances are that you have IBS with celiac OR you have probs with wheat only OR you had a false positive OR you have asymptomatic celiac (as some of your blood results WERE positive) and you should eat GF anyway. PLUS keep in mind it can take up to 1.5-2 YEARS for your bod to completely heal itself if you have ZERO gluten EVER during that time (longer if you cheat or are geting gluten inadvertently).

*phew*

Have you read Danna Korn's book? this is where I am getting a great deal of my ifno. She is the National Spokesperson for Celaic Diseas Awareness and author of at least 2 books on the subject. Some of the info. I worte about above is based on what a Pediatric GI was quoted writing in Korn's book Wheat Free, Worry Free, pages 95-101.

Hope this helps (sorry if it leaves you more confused! ) Love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Citrucel new
      #164656 - 03/28/05 09:45 AM
Snow for Sarala

It may not contain gluten...but if it contaminated in any way...then you are NOT gluten free.......

Be careful here! Products change ALL THE TIME in regards to gluten. If there is a CHANCE it has gluten...personally...I just wouldn't eat it.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: How much of the other extreme? new
      #164659 - 03/28/05 09:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Beth...didyou ever do this? If not andyou decide to try it...you need to eat gluten with every meal. I would eat at least 3 slices of bread a day. I'm curious to know if you did this and what the outcome was? Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Another thing to consider....stress...the ugly beast! new
      #164660 - 03/28/05 09:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

If a person is quite stressed out and eating GF AND has IBS...their symptoms may not abide as quickly? Is that possible? I have no research/evidence to back this up EXCEPT that IBS can be exacerbated by stress as can celiac. So if we are stressed about our diets I would think this COULD prlong our recovery? What does everyone think about this? Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I think so! new
      #164665 - 03/28/05 09:57 AM
Augie

No soy or rice milk unless I knew it was gf! And no citric acid either, if you mean tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit. I do put lemon juice on fish. What is wrong with citric acid for Gluten intolerance, btw?

I do get my millet and slippery elm powder from bins at Wild Oats, so could this be cross contamination? I just started doing this, though, so that wouldn't explain the 16 months of pain and symptoms I still had before doing this.

Wow, that's a lot of possibilities to happen since I do eat GF and am having no relief. How do I know which one is my case? It sounds with all of the possibilities the best thing to do is to stay GF, is that what you think? Or would I just need to avoid wheat. I'm so confused!

I will need to look into that book. I have not had any gluten for 17 months now, and still no relief from gas, bloat, and awful, severe cramps and pain.

--------------------
~ Beth

#164667 - 03/28/05 09:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

That is sooo interesting! My doctors are so ANTI celiac! They don't think anyone has it except children

I'm glad to hear there are docs out there that ARE testing for it! Thanks LM!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Citrucel new
      #164668 - 03/28/05 09:59 AM
Augie

I called this company and they told me citrucel is gluten free, and I think they even post it on the canisters now. I never considered cross contamination. But in that case, no SFS would be safe!

--------------------
~ Beth

Citric acid new
      #164671 - 03/28/05 10:03 AM
Linz

How does this relate to going GF?

Nope, never tried it new
      #164675 - 03/28/05 10:06 AM
Augie

I was too chicken and after "talking" with Kandee, was pretty convinced that my two positive blood work tests indicated that I should stay GF for life.

That being said, I still may try it, as being GF is sooo hard and sooo expensive and inconvenient. Even my GI told me I maybe should try a Gluten challenge. But he isn't one of my favorite people, and I don't really trust his opinion on anything anymore. I don't know what I will do, so I just keep eating GF for now.

Do you feel better eating GF, Ruchie? Even though you have no antibodies? That's the thing. I am going to the trouble of eating GF and cooking GF, but I still am just as pained and symptomatic as before, so what is the point? That's my feeling. But I keep eating GF anyhow, hoping one day it might get better.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Citric acid new
      #164678 - 03/28/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

"Can utilize gluten-containing grain or by-product in the manufacturing process, or as an ingredient (page 122-123 Wheat Free, Worry free, Danna Korn).

there are others on the list I had no CLUE about when I went gluten free in 03'. It's a LOT to keep up with.

Ground spices is another one...who knew?!?!?! They use flour to keep it from clumping!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Very possible!!! new
      #164680 - 03/28/05 10:12 AM
Augie

I am very stressed out about what foods I should eat, what might be a trigger, what is tolerable, etc... As most people can tell by my frustrating posts! I know you all must be sick of me and questioning every food I put into my mouth!

I think the stress over my pain, not knowing my triggers, not being able to find a SFS or knowing if I should just give up on them altogher, not knowing if I really need to be GF, not convinced there is more going on than IBS, and not having a reliable doctor to go to for answers is probably highly contributing to my symptoms. I don't know how to stop obsessing and worrying about it though. The more pain I feel, the more desparate I feel, the more I work to find my answers, the more stressed I become, the more the pain increases.... A vicious cycle I am in!

--------------------
~ Beth

#164683 - 03/28/05 10:15 AM
Augie

Is it the citric acid that is listed as an ingredient on a product, or citric acid in fruits too? Are the natural citric acid foods safe?

If a product contains citric acid and is still listed or labeled as GF shouldn't that make it a safe bet?

This is news to me, this citric acid link to gluten!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I think so! new
      #164685 - 03/28/05 10:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Have you had tomato sauce? It contains citrci acid. How about ground spices? Artificial color? Flavoring? Baking powder? Brown flour? Calcium Caseinate? Caramel color? Coloring? Dextrins? Food starch? HPP or HVP? Inulin? kamut? Malt, malt extract, malt flavoring, malt syrup, malt vinegar, miso, modified food starch, mono and diglycerides, MSG, mustard powder, natural flavoring, rice malt, seitan, Sodium caseinate, soy sauce, starch (same prob as citric acid), terriyaki sauce, TVP...I'll stop her!

If you have had any of these (and more possibilities as well), you have NOT been gluten free

I thought I was in 03' but I ate TONS of tomato sauce and soups (gluten was not listed nor was anything else that sounded suspect...but now I am better informed!).

I hope this helps you Beth...if there's anything else I can do let me know *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#164690 - 03/28/05 10:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

It was news to me too yesterday when I read it!

IF the product says GF I would trust it (or I would just lose my mind!) LOL THEN the citric acid should NOT contan gluten in it. I have yet to see this tho...but I don't think tht matters.

If a food says citric acid as an ingredient, like tomato sauce (my beloved tomato sauce! ), then do NOT eat it if you are GF!

I expalined this further in a post I just made while you were writing this post

Acid in natural fruits does NOT count btw. Fruit is gluten free if it fresh to my knowledge anyway

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hey, that's great! Hurray for CITRUCEL! Thanks Beth for the info. n-t new
      #164693 - 03/28/05 10:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

So if gluten is not listed... new
      #164694 - 03/28/05 10:27 AM
Augie

on the ingredient list, how do you know what is safe to eat? If any of these "ingredients" are listed, I either call the company and ask if their product contains gluten in the food starch, etc, or I check the internet web site for safe brand name food sources of these products.

For instance, I called McCormick seasonings and they assured me all there herbs and spices are GF. Shouldn't I trust them. And the Hellmans mayo company told me the same thing. Plus Trader Joes and Whole foods put out sheets listing all their GF safe foods, even when these ingredients are listed on the product. So I assume there is no gluten in this "flavorings" or colorings. I also know Mumford Baking soda is listed as a GF product.

Thanks for all the info Ruchie. I think I am more confused and stressed now, however! I thought I was doing so well with the gluten and with calling and checking the web!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Nope, never tried it new
      #164695 - 03/28/05 10:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

This i where I am right now:

I just did a aliva test. if it comes back positive for gluten intolerance I am GF for life. If not...I have no plan B for now.

I went mostly GF in 03' (tried to go all the way but didn't have enough info. at the time, I'm learning now). And hubby recalls I felt BETTER....so...

I will prob end up GF for life. I have not decided that officially yet. But I plan to do the diet STRICTLY for the next 2 years. To kow for sure either way. And like I said if the saliva test is positive then I plan to go GF for life.

I believe from what I've read there is a GOOD chance my heath probs are exacerbated by eating gluten. Eating gluten with celiac can CAUSE fibro and other probs (page 53-73 Wheat Free Worry Free, Danna Korn). So...if there is a possibility of celaic I say stay away (but that's me and I have HAD it with being sick and I am ready, willing, and disciplined...so bring on the GF diet please!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: So if gluten is not listed... new
      #164696 - 03/28/05 10:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Somehwere on the Trader Joe's list of GF foods it says "We are not responsible for a change in ingredients making a food NOT GF. Please check ingredients..." or something like that.

Pretty scary huh?

With McCormick I trust it. BUT I would call and check and re-check every so often. With the disclaimer at Trader Joes' I am more reluctant to be so trusting. If I see something has a gluten ingredient I will ask someone at the store to veridy it is GF even if it on the list. If they aren't sure...I won't buy. HTH *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Very possible!!! new
      #164697 - 03/28/05 10:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

My advice?

Make a decision and stick with it!

Say "Beth...you are going gluten free for_________ amount of time. During that time you will/will not eat IBS safe and you will see how you feel. You will evaluate and make changes as needed BUT not before day ______."

If you have things planned out and you stick with a decision YOU make for yourself...you won't be able to o stir crazy all the time wondering what to do/not do and you can spend your time following your own path that YOU made for yourself and just wathcing the results unfold before your eyes.

I don't know if this would work for you...but it's what I'm doing and it has given me a LOT o hope and taken a LOt of stress off. Good luck *big hugs* YOU CNA DO IT!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#164700 - 03/28/05 10:46 AM
Augie

You are so sweet to be spending all this time trying to help me!

Are you doing a GF diet and this IBS diet? Or just the GF diet?
It sounds like you are not really doing Heathers stictly as you eat lots of salads and whole fruits and insolubles alone, without a SF base. But you probably don't eat the meat, eggs, dairy, and high fats, right?

--------------------
~ Beth

#164703 - 03/28/05 10:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Right on Beth! Low on the fats as they are my triggers (had red meat Sat. lunch and THEW IT UP Sat. night...not fun!)

If I am helping that's super! I have been through SO MUCH all I want to do is hlp people so they don't have to hurt anymore. Let m know if there's anything else I can help ya with...

Btw...you hlp me too! The more I reinforce these things...the more I live them in my own life!

A wise person say that when we give advice to others...we are really giving it to ourselves. And there youhave it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie new
      #164715 - 03/28/05 11:40 AM
Augie

Do you eat the insolubles alone and not do that part of the Eating for IBS diet? Along with eating unpeeled fruits alone, and raw lettuce salad alone, etc.

Can you eat corn and garlic and onions?

That was what I was wondering I guess. If you just don't eat the main triggers, but not worry about the "other" guidlines.

Yes, that was a very wise person who said that! Glad you are getting something from my posts, and not just headaches!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Ruchie new
      #164764 - 03/28/05 01:56 PM
Snow for Sarala

Corn yes, garlic yes, onions cooked, yes. Brocolli only pureed.

Thank G-d I can eat some veggies raw...esp. spinach. Others I can't even eat cooked 9like brocolli) only pureed. I think you would have to experiment to see what works for you!

I love your posts silly goose...so keep em' coming *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#164769 - 03/28/05 02:04 PM
Augie

Can you eat your insolubles (fruits, veggies, grains) without a Soluble food "buffer" eaten beforehand?

--------------------
~ Beth

#164771 - 03/28/05 02:10 PM
Snow for Sarala

I can. I eat fruits and brown rice and millet, etc. on their own.

But agai...it depends on the fruit/veggies. i have a better time with fruit than veggies.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review