All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: I agree. new
      #122900 - 11/17/04 04:01 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

But how much guys. Like give me an example of a typical food day to test this out. I need examples!
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I agree. new
      #122904 - 11/17/04 04:14 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

It doesn't matter... Say if you plan on having something for dinner that includes potatoes... cook the normal amount that would satisfy you. Same thing with your other meals. Just replace the GF food with non-GF food. Either way, no matter how much you consume, you'll still have the same results.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

What type of GF bread do you eat? and... new
      #123154 - 11/18/04 09:12 AM
Augie

is it IBS safe?

--------------------
~ Beth

For Taylahmai - on GF diet new
      #123184 - 11/18/04 10:27 AM
Augie

Thank you for sharing your story. I am feeling better that I am not the only person being torn between these two diagnosis! Not that I'm glad you are!.
Keep me updated on what and how you are doing. My email is listed under my post name deerbeth@yahoo.com.
I still don't know what to do or what to try. In my case, my symptoms and pain persist despite both diets, while yours went away while being on both!
Can you give me examples of what you eat for meals and snacks to stay both GF and IBS safe? Brand names, etc.
Also, do you take an SFS? What type and dose?
Thanks again. Have you tried Kinnick Kinnick rolls or breads? Are they safe as well? GF foods tend to be higher in fat to help hold the unique flours and ingredients together. That's a problem with the IBS guidelines.
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For Augie - GF diet new
      #123329 - 11/18/04 04:24 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Augie, it really is tough trying to work out what to and what not to eat! Who'd have thought something so simple could become so damn hard! So GF foods, I'm from Australia so I don't think I can help you with brand names unfortunately, but hopefully there is someone out there from the US that can. Now that I am on the IBS diet my daily food plan has changed, I used to eat high fibre gluten free muesli for brekkie, a tuna salad for lunch and a grilled fish/ chicken and veges for dinner. Now that I need to incorporate soluble fibres a typical daily food plan at the moment would be: rice bread with jam for brekkie (I make my own bread, theres lots of GF bread mixes available in Australia so hopefully there is in the US), rice, tuna and veges for lunch (I tried veges raw but they're not really agreeing so I'm reverting to cooking them). Dinner is rice pasta, chicken and veges, or rice, fish and veges or something similar. For snacks I have rice cakes or gluten free cookies (they're made with rice and soy flour). Yes I know lots of rice!! But it seems to agree okay with me. I've just started Benefiber yesterday and so far so good. One problem with the GF diet is as you say, they are much higher in fat then non GF foods. But so long as you stick within the IBS fat guidelines you should be right. I think a little extra fat is much more tolerable then wheat products for me. I have a great health section in my supermarket that stocks GF substitutes for heaps of different foods, check it out and let me know how you go.

I'm away for a couple of days so will email you when I get back so we can chat more.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Gluten intolerance?- Please,Desparate for answers new
      #123452 - 11/18/04 08:57 PM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Since your GF diet still leaves you with pain and symptons, why not abandon that to see if Heathers IBS diet will help. To get the quickest results try the BRAT diet. Plus you could add properly prepared chicken to that for protein. Give the BRAT diet a week and you could find that your symptoms start clearing up. Mine did. Be sure the bread is white bread, white rice, unsweetened apple sauce (but no artificial sweetners) and of course the pepo-tea. If you choose to include chicken you can simply get canned chicken (next to the canned tuna) (I eat it straight from the can) or get the frozen chicken breasts or fresh.
Not much variety, but simple and it could stabalize your gut quickly so that you can determine what is at cause of your symptoms when you start adding back foods.
If you get no results from this then pull away the white bread (and rice?) and you should find out if gluten is contributory.
And as the others have mentioned, don't forget the SFS. I use Citrucel tablets which have helped tremendously for me and they are easy to take, ie no prep.
Hope this helps, and good luck. Remember its only a week.
(Oh yeah, I was IBS-D)

Re: What type of GF bread do you eat? and... new
      #123468 - 11/19/04 12:56 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I use Orgran Gluten Free bread mix (which is rice and tapioca flour bread) or All About Bread Amaizing Bread Mix (which is rice and soy flour). I'm not sure whether either of these are available in the US. The are IBS friendly, I've never had any problems eating them.

Basically a good gluten free IBS friendly bread mix will contain rice and soy flour, and maybe tapioca or potato flour.

I like you am in the process of trying to work out whether I am gluten intolerant. I improved dramatically when I stopped eating it and became severely clogged when I started eating it again. Problem is I've been doing so many things lately its hard to pinpoint what is causing positive and negative change

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

what is BRAT diet?-nt new
      #123667 - 11/19/04 10:42 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For Augie - GF diet new
      #123668 - 11/19/04 10:45 AM
Augie

What veggies do you eat with lunch and dinner? Is the rice pasta from brown rice and isn't that a no go on IBS diet?

--------------------
~ Beth

Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast - nt new
      #123671 - 11/19/04 10:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1037 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review