All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fat grams
      #121769 - 11/15/04 05:15 AM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

I'm new to counting fat grams. I know I'm supposed to keep the fat content down, but I wonder if people can give me an idea of about how many grams of fat a day I should try to stay under. I keep on seeing recipes that declare themselves low-fat that are 6-8 grams of fat and that seems high, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding what counts as low-fat??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fat grams new
      #121778 - 11/15/04 06:44 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It depends how many calories you consume since Heather recommends 20-25% fat per meal and all day. So if you have an idea of how many calories you eat then you can calculate what 25% of that is in fat grams. When I first started the diet I kept a strict journal and added the fat grams up every day. I tried to keep it at 30 grams and figured that was real safe for my amount of calories. So for a meal 6-8 is really good. For a snack it might be a little high. You could have 10 grams with each meal and probably be ok if the calories were high enough (probably not so with breakfast but you could add a snack mid-morning and that would come to 10) but that is just a rough idea. If you can find recipes that actually have the percentage of fat (like Heather's do) then you will know exactly. Otherwise it takes a little while to get the feel of what is fat acceptable. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#121794 - 11/15/04 07:16 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

But how do you know how much fat is in a piece of chicken breast, or in a piece of fish.

#121912 - 11/15/04 10:33 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What? You don't magically know? You have to do research and look at labels. I especially like Cooking Light magazine for getting a handle on how much fat is in things and how big the serving size is. Otherwise you have to guess as best you can. Look on line for charts of fat content in foods and I bet you will find something.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#121918 - 11/15/04 10:38 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I'm not sure about a piece of chicken or fish but, if it's a packaged item do the following:
take the number of fat grams & multiply that by 9 (each fat gram has 9 calories)
Then, take that number you just came up with & divide it by the totals calories per serving.
This will give you the percentage of fat in each serving.
Hope this helps

#121936 - 11/15/04 11:05 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I agree with LittleMinnie. Go online and do some research. You will find how many grams of fat are in chicken or other items. I am also sure it will be according to size.

good luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#122180 - 11/16/04 04:51 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I found this post on the site...www.wholehealthmd.com

Nutrition Chart

Chicken Breast (skinless, boneless)/3 ounces cooked

Calories 140
Total fat (g) 3
Saturated fat (g) 0.9
Monounsaturated fat (g) 1.1
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0.7
Dietary fiber (g) 0
Protein (g) 26
Carbohydrate (g) 0
Cholesterol (g) 72
Sodium (g) 63
Niacin (g) 12
Vitamin B6 (g) 0.5
Phosphorus (g) 164
Selenium (g) 24
Dark Meat Chicken (skinless, boneless)/3 ounces cooked

Calories 178
Total fat (g) 9.3
Saturated fat (g) 2.6
Monounsaturated fat (g) 3.5
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2.1
Dietary fiber (g) 0
Protein (g) 22
Carbohydrate (g) 0
Cholesterol (g) 81
Sodium (g) 75
Niacin (g) 5.6
Vitamin B6 (g) 0.3
Phosphorus (g) 156
Selenium (g) 25
Zinc (g) 2.2

This gives an indication for chicken anyway. Where I live, this info is not on the packaging.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review