All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Take SFS or not
      #121521 - 11/13/04 02:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have read many articles that say that SFS may actually hurt up to 50 % of the people with IBS. Meaning, their symptoms get worse. Are there any people who do not take an SFS and still became stable?

Has anyone had a positive experience after stopping the SFS or is everyone pretty resigned to being on one. I'm having problems with mine

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Take SFS or not new
      #121522 - 11/13/04 02:43 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I dont know about anybody else, because I know most people who use a SFS say that is the best thing for them and that even though it takes a long time for your body to adjust , you will eventually feel much better...it just depends on how you react to certain SFS, everyone is different and some seem to work better for people than others...Ive actually found that the only times Ive been able to stabilise this year have been when I havent been using the acacia that I order from heather. Im going to start off really slowly again soon and try getting used to it...but I have been able to stabilise for a while on diet alone. Hope that helps xx

--------------------
Natalie

#121526 - 11/13/04 03:02 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

from a theoretical perspective, I really believe in the SFS approach. the only one I have tried is acacia...I started with 1/3 of a tsp and got awful diarrhea (I am mainly ibs c) and moved down to 1/7th of a tsp and had terrible nausea etc. I had to stop after 4 days. but I AM going to try other brands because of my belief in it. the only way is to try, but there are those that react so extremley that they cannot use them or even give them time to get used to.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#121568 - 11/13/04 07:04 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I would have been int he symptoms get worse group UNTIL I tried one that wasn't psyllium and had no additives.. citrucel orange flavor (has sorbitol) and Metamucil- plain or orange, both made me MUCH worse and I had written off supplements until I found this list and someone suggested I try benefiber or acacia.. I've done wonderfully on both... and spokent o my GI so she doesn't recommend either of the other 2 to her patients anymore... some people are ok on plain citrucel, but it has to be the plain stuff- NOT the orange flavor!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#121570 - 11/13/04 07:16 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

It is hard to speak for everyone but I think the SFS is the best thing to do because it increases the size of the stool, which lessens the spasms in the colon. But it takes time to settle things down. With the increase in bulk in the colon, you will go more often if you have small infrequent stools and it will bulk up the too frequent stools so you go less often because it will cut down on the spasms. I got worse when I started it also but continued to increase slowly and beleive me, I will never go off it again because I tried a few times and eventually the spasms came back.

#121574 - 11/13/04 07:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think it is essential to take one. The problem is in finding what works for you. I have little empathy for this step since I have been on Fibercon for so many years I can't remember what it was like to start! But I have increased the dose a lot this year and did just fine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yes, yes, yes! new
      #121605 - 11/13/04 11:17 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You need to find the right SFS and the right dose for you. Then most people find the SFS REALLY helpful. I wouldn't do without mine now!

Unfortunately, a lot of the better known ones (therefore the ones usually suggested by doctors!) have sweeteners in and are generally psyllium or inulin based, BOTH of which are hard to take and have more side effects. The one my doc first put me on (before I discovered Heather and Acacia) was psyllium based with sweeteners and all kinds of additives. It made me so bloated and gassy, but it STILL helped my D and pain.

Acacia seems to be one of the gentlest out there, unless of course you seem to be allergic to it like poor Dalia!

Edited by Linz (11/13/04 11:18 PM)

#121626 - 11/14/04 05:49 AM
Rylee

For me anyway, I would have to eat sooooo much food in order to get the needed amount of soluble fiber in my diet to control symptoms that I would gain much weight. I don't mind paying the money for the fibercon I take, because I would spend that much on food to get the same results. I would have to eat a loaf of bread a day

daliatree new
      #121873 - 11/15/04 09:58 AM
Augie

That scares me as I am just about ready to order some acacia! Now I am confused! What brand are you going to try next?
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Natalie new
      #121875 - 11/15/04 09:59 AM
Augie

Why would you go back on it if you've been stable off of it?

--------------------
~ Beth

Doesn't SFS cause worse bloating and gas?-nt new
      #121876 - 11/15/04 10:00 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Little minnie new
      #121909 - 11/15/04 10:32 AM
Augie

How much fibercon do you take a day

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Little minnie new
      #121914 - 11/15/04 10:35 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I started with 2 with dinner a long time ago. I now take 6 a day. I get the big generic bottle at Sam's club. I also recommend taking fiber with food to decrease gas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Doesn't SFS cause worse bloating and gas?-nt new
      #121950 - 11/15/04 11:49 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

It depends on which SFS you are taking. I was on Citrucel caplets 3 x per day and still had the bloating and gas. I had ordered Heather's acacia, tried it and was constantly C (I was mixing the Acacia and the Citrucel).

I stopped taking the Citrucel this past Thursday. I added more insolubles to my diet, i.e. canned peas and corn, diced peaches, pears, apricots and fruit cocktail. I have had the best bms ever!

I think when I started with the Acacia, I was not incorporating enough insolubles; and now that I am the Acacia is so far so good. I am taking 1 tsp 3 x per day and will increase to 1 tbs 3x per day in about two weeks.

I don't go as often, but when I do go I feel completely evacuated. No spasms, and the gas has dropped tremendously. I have one bm per day.

I will always take my SFS, I am an IBS-A. It keeps me from having D and C and that's okay with me!

Give it a try, if you don't like it you can always stop.

Good luck

Lene P.S. A BIG THANK YOU TO CASEY (ATOMIC ROSE) FOR SUGGESTING THE PEAS, CARROTS AND FRUIT.

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

For Augie! new
      #122035 - 11/15/04 04:01 PM
Natalie1985

Hey Augie,Yes I know, I am wondering about starting up the fiber again...if I do try again I'll do it very very slowly...last time I definately rushed things...I also have found that even just putting some acacia into a glass of water and drinking it on a bad day....it almost acts like a herbal tea for me and calms my stomach...which is good as I havent found any tea that works for me yet! I also would try starting it again because although I have stabilised on the diet alone it has only been for about 2 weeks max and thats pushing it...although 2 weeks for me has been a godsend after 4 years of D everyday....I just want to see if taking acacia regularly for a while...and by doing it properly next time...if it will make me stabilise for longer...the longer the gap between attacks the better! Hope that helps.

--------------------
Natalie

Natalie new
      #122043 - 11/15/04 04:49 PM
Augie

Good Luck this time. I'm starting it soon too so we can go through this together. I know that it is so tempting to want to add more fast in hopes of reaching the optimal amount. It is hard to take things slow when we want to feel better now.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Doesn't SFS cause worse bloating and gas?-nt new
      #122044 - 11/15/04 04:51 PM
Augie

or is going from 1 T to 3T a day the way most people do it? I need to read the site on switching and increasing.

--------------------
~ Beth

#122118 - 11/15/04 07:19 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Sorry all, I hadn't scrolled as far as this page when I posted my question about SFS and C. I had very normal bowel motions before I started SFS, the only reason I started taking it was on recommendation through this website. Now I have awful C and just wish my normal BM would return. Is there anyone with C for who SFS have worked? And what does do you recommend to start with? I have ordered some Acacia so am waiting patiently for it in the mail....

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: daliatree new
      #122121 - 11/15/04 07:21 PM
daliatree

hey there...don't be scared sweetie...what I had was a VERY rare reaction. there must be something different about my body. you really should try it. start with a very small dose and work up, it has helped so many people. the worst thing that could happen is a few bad days and then you just stop and at least you would know....

--------------------

#122420 - 11/16/04 12:37 PM
Augie

What brand are you going to try next?

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Augie...good luck too! -nt- new
      #122708 - 11/17/04 07:10 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

#122721 - 11/17/04 07:53 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

I have been trying the benefiber for about 3 weeks, and my stomach seems as though it is starting to settle. I am not having any bloating as a result now, which is really good, but am still working on the constipation. I would recommend giving this one a try ... not the tablets which contain some sweetener, but the powder which dissolves compeletely in liquid.

#122726 - 11/17/04 08:26 AM
daliatree

hey sorry I didn't answer this in your original posting to me! I am not sure which one I am going to try next...I haven't given it too much thought because the thought of the acacia and how it was is putting me off! but I won't allow it to put me off forever...I had my period this week which made my IBS weird, and am going away next week for thanksgiving with my inlaws, so don't want to do anything that might bring on attacks...are you considering going on one other then acacia?

--------------------

#122739 - 11/17/04 08:58 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I've tried Benefiber. It didn't seem to help with my C. But I didn't have any bloating problems either. Right now, I'm trying Konsyl (psyllium fiber). It doesn't dissolve like Benefiber. But it has no sweeteners. I've had a little gas, but not bad. It's only my second day using it faithfully, so we'll see.....

Rylee new
      #125055 - 11/23/04 07:22 PM
Augie

How many fibercon tabs do you need to take in a day to be stablize? Are you and IBS-C OR IBS D?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: daliatree- Did you ever start on a new SFS?-nt new
      #125056 - 11/23/04 07:23 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#125069 - 11/23/04 08:53 PM
daliatree

nope not yet....in the days I was recovering from the acacia attacks I got my period (my first one off the pill in five years) so that made my IBS a little on the over active side (nothing bad) and now I am about to go away for thanksgiving and seeing the reaction I had to the acacia I am not willing to ruin my holiday with risking a new SFS...I would prefer the mild discomfort of my everyday IBS on the very very safe diet...I don't know if I will try another one...I mean...I've been doing a lot of thinking and I think my IBS (and the gastro doc supports this) deterioated so badly over the last 6 months because of a parasite and it is slowly returning to the way it was before (IBS which effects my daily life but it NOT terrifying..just uncomfortable)...I want to give it a chance to calm down itself...that being said..i think I am going to try a new SFS, just haven't decided which one...that was a confusing answer, wasn't it...sorry (am sleepy..bed time now!). Why, are you on the acacia and unhappy?

--------------------

#125164 - 11/24/04 07:58 AM
Augie

No, I'm on citrucel and unhappy. Up to 6 or 7 grams and still having cramps, bloating, gas, and not able to get regualar BMs yet. I'm thinking of going off SFS altogether but others swear by them and I think I need something to help me go. Just don't know which one to turn to, if any, and what my optimal dose is. There are so many to choose from! I which you could just know which is best for your body and what dose gives best results with least amount of additional symptoms (bloating, cramps) which I've heard SFS's can do. UGH this is really frustrating me!

--------------------
~ Beth

#125179 - 11/24/04 08:17 AM
daliatree

sorry to hear its not going well...soooo frustrating (believe me, I relate!)...have you thought about trying acacia...most people do so well on it...I was a really unique case....

--------------------

#125181 - 11/24/04 08:21 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am on acacia, and I am doing awesome! I am up to 2T & 1/2 teaspoons now, and I have stopped increasing about two and half months ago, because I became stable. I tried Fibercon, I was on it for six months, and when I would increase I would get D.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: Rylee new
      #125242 - 11/24/04 01:33 PM
Rylee

I take 9 a day...three at each meal. It stabilizes me so I just go once a day rather than many times. I think I need a little more but I go through a bottle so fast now. I was C but changed to D. The C, I could handle but not the D!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4542 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5295

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review