All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is Phylo Dough "safe" - I am wondering if I can use it to wrap some appetizers?
      #121325 - 11/12/04 01:04 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

We are going to our first party since IBS. I called the hostess to offer to bring some safe foods and she was so nice about it. Now now I am trying to think of what to bring.

Thanks,
Lefty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Phylo Dough "safe" - I am wondering if I can use it to wrap some appetizers? new
      #121331 - 11/12/04 01:25 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

doubtful.. traditionally the seperation between the layers is TONS of butter! its awful for us.. dairy and high fat...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

What about puff pastry dough? (I'm not sure if I want to know the answer to that.) -nt new
      #121340 - 11/12/04 01:56 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Re: What about puff pastry dough? (I'm not sure if I want to know the answer to that.) -nt new
      #121357 - 11/12/04 03:59 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

ALL dough is high fat...I LOVE pastry and really miss it!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

yep new
      #121361 - 11/12/04 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes it is safe. All you have to do is spray butter flavor spray between each sheet instead of melted butter. It is an excellent substition for traditional crusts in pies and crisps too. The brand at my store is also vegan and all natural! A great low fat trick.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: yep new
      #121494 - 11/13/04 12:24 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Thanks Little Mini,

Was that a yes for the puffed pastry question or the Phylo dough? It looks like there were two questions on this thread and I just want to make sure I understand so I don't make the wrong thing!

Lefty

Phyllo dough new
      #121559 - 11/13/04 06:39 PM
Little Minnie

I think puff pastry has fat in it already. But phyllo dough is just plain dough sheets and you are supposed to add the fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

not when I buy it here... new
      #121567 - 11/13/04 07:01 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its already buttered between the layers.. but then again.. the concept is still the fat that allows it to seperate like that when served and puff up.. so even if you are adding your own fat- its still going to have a LOT of fat in it.. and it has to be a solid fat, which melts not a liquid fat or it won't roll, etc right...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Never seen that new
      #121575 - 11/13/04 07:57 PM
Little Minnie

I have never seen it already buttered. The kind I get is in the freezer section in a long thin box and is actually vegan. I wish I had some now so I could check on it, but I remember that when I last looked the ingredients were like flour, yeast, water basically. I will check the brand name and stuff when I go back to the store. I know this is accurate though as Cooking Light often has very low fat recipes for phyllo crusts. They are great for substituting as long as you make with butter spray and not melted butter. I'll get back with the brand and confirmed info soon.

--------------------

I don't think I can give up my mini hot dogs new
      #121580 - 11/13/04 08:31 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Even though I know they are soooooo bad for me. I was a very bad girl today. Went to my friend's b-day party. Ate a bunch of things I shouldn't. Now I am nauseus! Oh well serves me right!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review