All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is Phylo Dough "safe" - I am wondering if I can use it to wrap some appetizers?
      #121325 - 11/12/04 01:04 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

We are going to our first party since IBS. I called the hostess to offer to bring some safe foods and she was so nice about it. Now now I am trying to think of what to bring.

Thanks,
Lefty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Phylo Dough "safe" - I am wondering if I can use it to wrap some appetizers? new
      #121331 - 11/12/04 01:25 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

doubtful.. traditionally the seperation between the layers is TONS of butter! its awful for us.. dairy and high fat...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

What about puff pastry dough? (I'm not sure if I want to know the answer to that.) -nt new
      #121340 - 11/12/04 01:56 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Re: What about puff pastry dough? (I'm not sure if I want to know the answer to that.) -nt new
      #121357 - 11/12/04 03:59 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

ALL dough is high fat...I LOVE pastry and really miss it!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

yep new
      #121361 - 11/12/04 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes it is safe. All you have to do is spray butter flavor spray between each sheet instead of melted butter. It is an excellent substition for traditional crusts in pies and crisps too. The brand at my store is also vegan and all natural! A great low fat trick.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: yep new
      #121494 - 11/13/04 12:24 PM
Lefty1

Thanks Little Mini,

Was that a yes for the puffed pastry question or the Phylo dough? It looks like there were two questions on this thread and I just want to make sure I understand so I don't make the wrong thing!

Lefty

Phyllo dough new
      #121559 - 11/13/04 06:39 PM
Little Minnie

I think puff pastry has fat in it already. But phyllo dough is just plain dough sheets and you are supposed to add the fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

not when I buy it here... new
      #121567 - 11/13/04 07:01 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its already buttered between the layers.. but then again.. the concept is still the fat that allows it to seperate like that when served and puff up.. so even if you are adding your own fat- its still going to have a LOT of fat in it.. and it has to be a solid fat, which melts not a liquid fat or it won't roll, etc right...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Never seen that new
      #121575 - 11/13/04 07:57 PM
Little Minnie

I have never seen it already buttered. The kind I get is in the freezer section in a long thin box and is actually vegan. I wish I had some now so I could check on it, but I remember that when I last looked the ingredients were like flour, yeast, water basically. I will check the brand name and stuff when I go back to the store. I know this is accurate though as Cooking Light often has very low fat recipes for phyllo crusts. They are great for substituting as long as you make with butter spray and not melted butter. I'll get back with the brand and confirmed info soon.

--------------------

I don't think I can give up my mini hot dogs new
      #121580 - 11/13/04 08:31 PM
Casper

Even though I know they are soooooo bad for me. I was a very bad girl today. Went to my friend's b-day party. Ate a bunch of things I shouldn't. Now I am nauseus! Oh well serves me right!

Re: I don't think I can give up my mini hot dogs new
      #121685 - 11/14/04 01:43 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

YES YOU CAN!!!
If I can give up chocolate, you can give up mini hot dogs. Just think how yuck they make you feel, associate the taste/smell of them with pain, and voila you will not want to eat them anymore!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: I don't think I can give up my mini hot dogs new
      #121693 - 11/14/04 02:33 PM
tammifaysmith

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

I am sorry to say this, but right now I can't eat anything!!So,It's hard for me to feel sorry for you when you are not taking care of yourself. You obviously know that you shouldn't eat that. I can't even hold down peppermint tea right now! You should thank God that your not as sick as some of us are, and hope that you never are!! Be smart now or you may suffer years later, I promise you, "Just being nauseous is a walk in the park, from vomiting 8 to 10 times a day!" Please take care of yourself!!!

--------------------
Tammi Smith

Tammi I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time right now. new
      #121744 - 11/14/04 07:15 PM
Casper

believe me... I've been there... we all have.
Thank G-d since I've started Heather's diet (about a month ago) I've mostly felt OK but before then I was sooo afraid to eat. I was so scared to put anything in my mouth because I never knew what would set off an attack. Now that I understand how triggers work you should know that most of the time I am VERY CAREFULL about eating the right thing. And when I say I can't give soemthing up it does not mean that I gorge on it. It means I eat it occasionaly just a taste AFTER eating SF first.
I hope that you feel better soon.
Chany

Tammi..... new
      #121752 - 11/14/04 08:58 PM
daliatree

I am so sorry to hear how sick you are. Are you sure you have IBS? Vomiting so many times in one day is not a normal IBS symptom....have you been diagnosed with it properly? How long have you been experiencing these symptoms? Please write back soon...its not fair that you should suffer for one moment longer then you need to...

--------------------

OK. I have tremendous respect for anyone who can give up chocolate. new
      #122060 - 11/15/04 05:32 PM
Casper

... So tonight when my family had Hot dogs... I had grilled chicken.
Chany

Tammi are you OK? new
      #122062 - 11/15/04 05:36 PM
Casper

Are you still very sick. I know it may sound drastic, but maybe a visit to the ER is in order. The las time I was that sick my Dr. thought it might be appendicitis. I don't mean to scare you but I haven't heard from you since you complained about being too sick to eat anything, even tea, so I'm kind of worried. Write soon.
Chany

Re: OK. I have tremendous respect for anyone who can give up chocolate. new
      #122123 - 11/15/04 07:24 PM
daliatree

You will not believe what I have given up and the way I used to eat!! I don't mean to boast here, but seriously, I am NEVER naughty...can you believe what a geek I am? I never ever break the diet rules!! I haven't had chocolate for FOUR years!!! I don't even eat sugar!!! Such a goody two shoes...just this focused kind of person. Probably hard to live with...I just want so much to feel better!

--------------------

RE: Fat for Phylo new
      #122128 - 11/15/04 07:34 PM
Lefty1

I checked and the one brand that I saw had oil. Canola and vegtable so maybe that brand is not the one I should use.

I might just think of other things to bring to this party!!!

Kudos! new
      #122131 - 11/15/04 07:46 PM
Lefty1

This is actually a really positive personal trait that you have. It probably spills over into other areas - in a good way - of your life. Keep up the good work!

Lefty

Re: Kudos! new
      #122145 - 11/15/04 08:22 PM
daliatree

You are so sweet (and what an amazing wife to your husband by the way!!)...yeah...I don't know where I got it from..none of my family are disciplined...I guess it does spill into other aspects of my life..I never realised how disciplined I was till my gastro guy told me..felt quite proud ...but thats not to say that I don't know why others cheat, I DO!! I totally understand and never judge.

--------------------

Casper/Dalia new
      #122173 - 11/16/04 04:22 AM
cailin

GOOD WORK CASPER!
I am proud of you...think of how "well-er" you feel as a result.

Dalia-choclate is one thing, HOW do you give up sugar? DO you get any sweet kicks at all? I NEED sugar but know that I need to cut down on it..do you get sugar from fruits etc?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122186 - 11/16/04 05:29 AM
Casper

They are chocolate but safe. The recipe is on the exchange, but if you can't find it I'll be happy to give it to you.

Re: Casper/Dalia new
      #122197 - 11/16/04 05:49 AM
daliatree

Hey Cailin
I gave it up cold turkey after I saw a naturopath a few years ago..he didn't tell me to give it up, but I did a lot of reading about sugar and didn't like what I heard and decided to give it up (and I grew up on it, believe me) along with coffee and alll junk. I had the worst headache and lethargy for days!!! But then I felt amazing...I NEVER EVER get those energy lows because all I eat it complex carbs that don't give you the buzz. I seriously LOVE chocolate AND sugar but I live by my own philosophy of treating my body like a temple (not that my bloody bowels give me that respect back eh?? :-)). You honestly do not miss it after getting over the initial withdrawal phase. It makes everything else taste so much more amazing. A banana tastes like icecream, mangoes are sooo yummy, applesauce etc..now that its been four years I am less of an extreme person and would like the choice to have a piece of cake once in a while BUT I think the sugar messes with my IBS too...so I am just going to carry on this way. But the main point I wanted to make is that giving it up, or reducing it, is only torturous for the first few days....I promise!

--------------------

Re: Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122201 - 11/16/04 05:53 AM
cailin

Oh yes, many many times, I used them in the beginning to get over the initial cravings I was having for chocolate but the cravings have subsided now, and I am eating marshmallows and jellybabies instead.

When I said chocolate I meant it literally, I have had cocoa based things, but I am refusing to let myself have even a little cheat with the real thing, as I was such an addict before that I know if I fall off that wagon it won't be pretty!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Sugar Cold Turkey- Dalia new
      #122204 - 11/16/04 05:59 AM
cailin

Dalia,

I read somewhere that you can't have berries if you are going off sugar- I was thinking more of quitting things like candy, cookies, sugary drinks but I can still have all fruits and honey and things that are "sweetened" like soy yogurt etc is this what you do.

I think giving it up totally would be very difficult but if I could cut out the sweeties every day that would be a good start.

Hmm..more to think about...

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Sugar Cold Turkey- Dalia new
      #122207 - 11/16/04 06:05 AM
daliatree

Hey Sinead!
I would definetly NOT advise anyone to do it cold turkey. i am a personal challenge psycho type and its not actually good for your liver to suddenly go on all these stupid detoxes these pathetic companies are always promoting ie giving everything up suddenly, and if I would have known that four years ago, I wouldn't have gone through the week of hell of withdrawal that I did (had a fever and everything!!).
You should definelty keep fruit in your diet and berries are some of the most nutritious out there (always wash them really well because the pesticides get very lodged in their grooves!)...the sugar you want to be cutting down on is the refined stuff that does NOTHING good for the body....cookies, cakes, sugar in tea, sweets etc. How about you set yourself realistic targets for where you want to be with your cutting down, on a timescale of a few weeks and gradually get down there??
I think cookies etc should be treats, not everyday things..eg have your cake on the weekend..you will relish it!!!

--------------------

Re: Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122208 - 11/16/04 06:08 AM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

Yep don't do it Sinead!! I thought O I can have one little mini candy bar and then I my craving will be fixed!! UUMMM WORNG!!!! I went nuts and I am still trying to recover my good sense eating habits!! I hadn't had REAL chocolate in months and then BBAAMMM I couldn't stop!! It also lead to things like craving Soda, and other not nice things!! I think it is harder this time to get back on the diet than it was when I started!!! I am having a realy hard time getting myself under control again!!

Don't start cheating with things you have realy given up because it can lead to bad things!!!

Love ya!!!! I just don't want anyone to and ESP you to have to start over again like I am !!! Sorry I am just realy pissed at myself right now!! I am having such a hard time getting under control!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

good news! new
      #123600 - 11/19/04 08:32 AM
Little Minnie

I finally checked on the phyllo dough at the store today and can give the details. The brand they carry at my store is called the Fillo Factory and it is labeled organic. Nutrition facts: 1 gram of fat per serving 0 chol 1g fiber
Ingredients: organic flour, water, organic wheat starch, arrow root, organic oil, organic malt extract, salt, soy lechtithin, tri calcium phosphate. No hydrogenated fats.

Ok so it is safe. Just spray butter flavor pam or other butter spray between each sheet when you make it. It is excellent for substituting other fatty crusts and things. Pies and cobblers or apple dumplings would be great! You can make phyllo strips and lattice across the top of a pie or you could make appetizers of course. So yea!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review