Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Casper/Dalia new
      #122173 - 11/16/04 04:22 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

GOOD WORK CASPER!
I am proud of you...think of how "well-er" you feel as a result.

Dalia-choclate is one thing, HOW do you give up sugar? DO you get any sweet kicks at all? I NEED sugar but know that I need to cut down on it..do you get sugar from fruits etc?

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122186 - 11/16/04 05:29 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

They are chocolate but safe. The recipe is on the exchange, but if you can't find it I'll be happy to give it to you.

Re: Casper/Dalia new
      #122197 - 11/16/04 05:49 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey Cailin
I gave it up cold turkey after I saw a naturopath a few years ago..he didn't tell me to give it up, but I did a lot of reading about sugar and didn't like what I heard and decided to give it up (and I grew up on it, believe me) along with coffee and alll junk. I had the worst headache and lethargy for days!!! But then I felt amazing...I NEVER EVER get those energy lows because all I eat it complex carbs that don't give you the buzz. I seriously LOVE chocolate AND sugar but I live by my own philosophy of treating my body like a temple (not that my bloody bowels give me that respect back eh?? :-)). You honestly do not miss it after getting over the initial withdrawal phase. It makes everything else taste so much more amazing. A banana tastes like icecream, mangoes are sooo yummy, applesauce etc..now that its been four years I am less of an extreme person and would like the choice to have a piece of cake once in a while BUT I think the sugar messes with my IBS too...so I am just going to carry on this way. But the main point I wanted to make is that giving it up, or reducing it, is only torturous for the first few days....I promise!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122201 - 11/16/04 05:53 AM
cailin

Oh yes, many many times, I used them in the beginning to get over the initial cravings I was having for chocolate but the cravings have subsided now, and I am eating marshmallows and jellybabies instead.

When I said chocolate I meant it literally, I have had cocoa based things, but I am refusing to let myself have even a little cheat with the real thing, as I was such an addict before that I know if I fall off that wagon it won't be pretty!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Sugar Cold Turkey- Dalia new
      #122204 - 11/16/04 05:59 AM
cailin

Dalia,

I read somewhere that you can't have berries if you are going off sugar- I was thinking more of quitting things like candy, cookies, sugary drinks but I can still have all fruits and honey and things that are "sweetened" like soy yogurt etc is this what you do.

I think giving it up totally would be very difficult but if I could cut out the sweeties every day that would be a good start.

Hmm..more to think about...

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: Sugar Cold Turkey- Dalia new
      #122207 - 11/16/04 06:05 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey Sinead!
I would definetly NOT advise anyone to do it cold turkey. i am a personal challenge psycho type and its not actually good for your liver to suddenly go on all these stupid detoxes these pathetic companies are always promoting ie giving everything up suddenly, and if I would have known that four years ago, I wouldn't have gone through the week of hell of withdrawal that I did (had a fever and everything!!).
You should definelty keep fruit in your diet and berries are some of the most nutritious out there (always wash them really well because the pesticides get very lodged in their grooves!)...the sugar you want to be cutting down on is the refined stuff that does NOTHING good for the body....cookies, cakes, sugar in tea, sweets etc. How about you set yourself realistic targets for where you want to be with your cutting down, on a timescale of a few weeks and gradually get down there??
I think cookies etc should be treats, not everyday things..eg have your cake on the weekend..you will relish it!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Sinead hvae you tried the anti depressent brownies? new
      #122208 - 11/16/04 06:08 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yep don't do it Sinead!! I thought O I can have one little mini candy bar and then I my craving will be fixed!! UUMMM WORNG!!!! I went nuts and I am still trying to recover my good sense eating habits!! I hadn't had REAL chocolate in months and then BBAAMMM I couldn't stop!! It also lead to things like craving Soda, and other not nice things!! I think it is harder this time to get back on the diet than it was when I started!!! I am having a realy hard time getting myself under control again!!

Don't start cheating with things you have realy given up because it can lead to bad things!!!

Love ya!!!! I just don't want anyone to and ESP you to have to start over again like I am !!! Sorry I am just realy pissed at myself right now!! I am having such a hard time getting under control!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

good news! new
      #123600 - 11/19/04 08:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I finally checked on the phyllo dough at the store today and can give the details. The brand they carry at my store is called the Fillo Factory and it is labeled organic. Nutrition facts: 1 gram of fat per serving 0 chol 1g fiber
Ingredients: organic flour, water, organic wheat starch, arrow root, organic oil, organic malt extract, salt, soy lechtithin, tri calcium phosphate. No hydrogenated fats.

Ok so it is safe. Just spray butter flavor pam or other butter spray between each sheet when you make it. It is excellent for substituting other fatty crusts and things. Pies and cobblers or apple dumplings would be great! You can make phyllo strips and lattice across the top of a pie or you could make appetizers of course. So yea!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 843 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review