All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Anxiety and IBS
      #121165 - 11/11/04 11:58 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

From daliatree's shakes/shivers thread, it got me wondering how many of us also have some sort of anxiety troubles? From the few responses there it seemed quite common.
For the longest time I thought ALL my symptoms were due to anxiety, which made it worse, as I told myself I was making it up! Getting it through my head that my symptoms are NOT "all in my head", and that I the nausea and the shakiness are probably due to my IBS has gone a long way towards reducing my anxiety.
Also with the not being able to vomit, it makes me wonder whether there are a few other emetophobics (phobia of vomiting) with IBS?

--------------------
*Emma*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety and IBS new
      #121186 - 11/12/04 05:12 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Lots of people here have a problem with Anxiety!! It can cause a majior attack!! So can Stress!!! Stress is my worst trigger!!! It does not mean it is all in your head!! It just means that it is part of the whole problem!!! So you are not making this up hon!!! BIG HUGS!!!! You might want to try the Hypno Tapes!!!
Good luck!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Oh yeah.... new
      #121192 - 11/12/04 06:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...to all of the above. I was actually diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder *and* post-traumatic stress disorder this past summer, finally... it was nice putting a name to all of it, and even nicer to start therapy/medication to manage it... but tell ya what, my IBS, at least, is definitely NOT all a result of anxiety. It's very definitely a physical problem.

And yep, I'm emetophobic. Very. Even on medication, nausea sends me into a panic attack, although it's a lot milder now than it used to be.

I'm emetaphobic new
      #121227 - 11/12/04 08:17 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am an emetaphobe...big time..though I fight it a lot. i would always make myself go near a puking drunk friend and hold their hair to face it. but if I hear someone has a tummy bug I run a mile...I am terrified to the point of anxiety attacks of catching it, and nausea is one of my major symptoms.
though, I KNOW the difference between anxiety nausea and physiological nausea. it feels different, I can feel the trigger setting it off (like to hear that someone in my family threw up and I go into freak out mode that I am going to catch it) I HATE this phobia of mine and am jealous of people that can just throw up (my mum) without making it a life issue. I remember everytime I have thrown up from the age of 7 like it was yesterday. And it hasn't been often. I haven't thrown up since I was 16 and am now 25, though have come close. I really want to beat this fear.
I have suffered with anxiety attacks too, though I got them mainly under control without medication. Very interesting.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: I'm emetaphobic new
      #121373 - 11/12/04 05:35 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

It's nice to know I'm not as freaky as I thought! I've NEVER met another emetophobe in person.
It's been a lot worse this year, because I threw up in April. I can seriously count the number of times it's happened since I was five on one hand, so when it happened this year it took away the only thought that kept me from completely freaking out: "it'll be okay, I never do!"
As a consequence, my IBS has been a lot worse this year, and nausea is one of my main symptoms. I'm still learning to tell the difference between IBS nausea, hungry nausea and panic nausea though.
My whole year has been a vicious cycle of panic and IBS problems. I think it might be time to invest in some quality healthcare (ie, not the university doctor and counsellor, who think I'm a neurotic self-diagnosing psychology student!).

--------------------
*Emma*

#121382 - 11/12/04 06:33 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Me too! Daliatree you sound JUST like me. If I hear someone has the stomach bug, I run, run as fast as I can! Even when my kids have the bug, I stay away from them and I know it's terrible cause they need to cuddle when they feel bad but I'm so phobic of throwing up I stay away from them. I too can also count on my hand and know exactly when I threw up last. It was three years ago in April. Me and another neighbor caught the stomach bug the same day. We were puking at the same time. It was kinda funny but not at the same time. We (6 of us) all had been out the night before and how just the two of us got it is weird.
I too get so jealous of the people that can throw up and think nothing of it. I so wish I could be like that too and when I am throwing up, I have to talk myself better and make myself calm down.
I'm glad there are other people out there just like me. IBS, Anxiety and now fear of puking! Life's grand ain't it This is exactly why these boards are so wonderful. You can talk about ANYTHING and it doesn't sound at all gross.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#121385 - 11/12/04 06:57 PM
sarahinoz

Reged: 11/09/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I'm emetaphobic too! And like most of you, I do get jealous of people who can throw up! I find myself asking 'Is it really that bad?' and trying to talk myself around that it isnt as bad as I imagine it to be. I find that my fear isnt so much the act itself, its the lead up to it, and I am terrified that I am going to vomit in public or at work or something. I did throw up at the end of last year (after a big night), and i remember thinking at the time 'Gee, this isnt half as bad as I thought'. Well, since then, I've managed to terrify myself out of it again!

#121388 - 11/12/04 07:14 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

this is incredible! emetaphobia must be more common then I originally thought! apparently drunk puking is not as bad as bug puking. I never over drank in order not to have to puke! I am so glad to have others to relate to!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: I'm emetaphobic (the other way) new
      #121462 - 11/13/04 08:04 AM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I'm phobic about D. My family members get the stomach bug and they throw up once or twice and they are fine. I wish I could throw up but "NO", I have to sit on the throne with "D" for ever and then take weeks to get back to normal. Anyone else do that?

i'm just like you new
      #121463 - 11/13/04 08:26 AM

Unregistered

I get so paranoid if anyone in my family feels sick to their stomach or just anyone I've been around, I am afraid to eat chicken at restaurants b/c i fear samonilla poisoning, the list goes on and on. Not that I drink now anyhow, but I was always afraid of being drunk to the point of throwing up. I plug my ears if I know I'm going to hear it happen on tv...lol the list goes on and on. It really is a dibilitating sort of a phobia. Last winter when my IBS was really bad I remember I would just avoid going anywhere really at all cause I hated to be stranded somewhere and feel like I was going to throw up. I slept with a plastic bag next to my bed just in case since I felt sick soooo much of time. I remember going to see the Rockettes Xmas Spectacular show last December and I HAD to sit on the end of the aisle just in case I had to make a mad dash. And I too remember like every single time I've thrown up and vivdly remember the times that I know I was soooo close. Well just had to share that. Nice to know I'm not alone here!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review