All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
antibiotics
      #120763 - 11/10/04 06:14 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I was just prescribed an antibiotic for my acne. I know, 22 and I'm still having problems. Anyway, anyone ever take minocycline? Has it interfered with ibs c at all?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: antibiotics new
      #120766 - 11/10/04 06:26 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I have never tried this antibiotics but feel very strongly that with ibs antibiotics should be avoided at all costs. How much does your acne effect you? have you tried topical antibiotics (roll on, creams etc). Have you seen a good naturopath about it? If these antibiotics are your first port of call regarding your acne I would personally hang on while I explored other alleys...antibiotics can CAUSE IBS (in a person already vulnerable to it...thats how mine started ten years ago), so the damage they cause to someone with IBS already..mmmmm....you may be lucky and not be effected. How long is the course? Do you take probiotics already?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#120830 - 11/11/04 04:32 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I took antibiotics for my acne when I was a in highschool (I'm 26 now). And even then, when I did not have IBS yet, they killed my stomach. And you could not pay me to take antibiotics now.

I use Proactiv and take birth control pills to control my acne. I also avoid foods with high iodine content. That means avoidin foods with sea salt and iodized salt. Ingredients are not labeled whether salt is iodized or not, so I just avoid all salty foods. And sea food, because sea creatures absorb iodine from the ocean.

I have mentioned the iodine thing before on these message boards and no one has responded, but if your acne got worse when you started the IBS diet, I can almost gaurantee, it is due to too much iodine in your diet. The week I stopped using heavy amounts of iodine containing foods i.e. salmon, tuna, tortilla chips, rice and soy milk that contain sea salt, etc. My acne started to clear up.

Proactive helps, I have used it for 5 years, even before I had IBS. The birth control pills help control hormonal acne which usually occurs along the chin and jawline, and is aggravated by iodine.

I would not try antibiotics!

#120835 - 11/11/04 05:01 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I had an additional thought to my previous post......

I also recently started using BenzaClin also, it is a topical antibiotic/benzoyl peroxide gel. It helps on the bigger ones, that Proactiv can't handle.

also, i am IBS-D sometimes A, depending on the time of the month.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review