All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
shakes /shiver / chills
      #120399 - 11/09/04 08:01 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

do any of you get these prior to or during an attack - the kind like you have with the flu, when you feel like nothing will warm your bones?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

YES new
      #120401 - 11/09/04 08:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ugh. Fortunately, I didn't get it with every attack, only the very worst ones... it was the scariest part of the attacks for Adam, watching me shake and shiver uncontrollably, sometimes for well over an hour.

Interestingly, even though I had some "bad days", I stopped having the shaking problem when I started taking Lexapro, so I assumed it was an anxiety/panic reaction.

Re: shakes /shiver / chills new
      #120406 - 11/09/04 08:30 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

yes, i get those too. it is part of a panic disorder. Those are also symptoms of a panic attack, which IBS attacks are usually part of, for me at least. i have gotten pretty good at controlling my IBS, and as soon as the panicky (fluish) symptoms start, i try breathing and concentrating on something else, and most of the time I can acutually ward off an attack. My IBS is so stress related.

Yes! It's the worst! new
      #120407 - 11/09/04 08:32 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Last month, when I had an attack it was particualrly horrible because I had just had root canal, and I could not keep my teeth from chattering and it was sooo painful.
I hope your not experiancing this now. Are you OK?
Chany

I don't think it's just anxiety based because... new
      #120408 - 11/09/04 08:37 PM
Casper

I've never suffered from an anxiety disorder and I get the shakes during bad attacks.
By the way... that's the worst part for David too. During my last attack he got really worried when I sat there shaking uncontrollably.
Chany

Re: Yes! It's the worst! new
      #120410 - 11/09/04 08:44 PM
daliatree

You are so sweet. I am just coming out of an attack. Yucky. I am adjusting to acacia (this is my second big attack from it in three days and I am giving it a week to impress me before abandoning it) I am trying to be brave and positive! Tonights attack started with me feeling like I was coming down with the flu, then major nausea, sloppy poos...weakness. I hate the nausea more then anything. But shakes were the first symptom when usually they start after the first shooting poo....
sigh....I am only taking 1/7th of a tsp a day!!! and am usually a C!!!(well lately more of an A)
Thank you for caring XXXX

--------------------

Re: I don't think it's just anxiety based because... new
      #120411 - 11/09/04 08:47 PM
daliatree

sometimes it can be anxiety because I am very scared of the attacks (trying not to be!!)...but tonights was soooo physiological because it came first, before anything.
I think the muscles spasming etc, and the fact that IBS is so nervous system based makes your whole body go weird...I hated it...felt like I couldn't get warm, or stop for that matter..

--------------------

I hope you feel better soon! new
      #120419 - 11/09/04 09:08 PM
Casper

Here's a big dose of sympathy.
Chany

Oh. You poor thing. new
      #120420 - 11/09/04 09:11 PM
Casper

How long do the shakes usually last for you? You're right about the nausea thing. It is the worst. Especially if you can't vomit (something my body usually refuses to do.)
Feel better soon.
Chany

Oh yeah! new
      #120423 - 11/10/04 01:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Could you have a bug? I've NEVER heard of anyone reacting this badly to Acacia. Unless you're actually allergic to it!

Heather - MAJOR reaction to Acacia new
      #120424 - 11/10/04 01:27 AM
Linz

Could she be allergic to it?

Daliatree are you feeling better this morning? - nt new
      #120436 - 11/10/04 04:20 AM
Casper

Re: Daliatree are you feeling better this morning? - nt new
      #120446 - 11/10/04 05:33 AM
daliatree

thank you so much......read my post above...

--------------------

UPDATE new
      #120448 - 11/10/04 05:39 AM
daliatree

Thank you all so much for your replies and reassuring me once again. These two attacks I have had with the minute amount of acacia have been the worst in months...I really was stabilising before I tried it.
I really wanted to try it for a week and see if I would get used to it, but last night my husband almost begged me to stop and my insides were close to begging me too. I am so tired this morning and have a job interview (my first since arriving in NYC). I am all crampy and trapped gasy and mornings are usually my best time.
I haven't been feeling awful alllll the time of the 4 days I have been on acacia, but two big attacks is not normal for me.
Is it fair for me to give up now? Try a different brand? I wonder why I am having such a reaction???? I read about others taking a few tspn's a day and I shudder at the thought! hahahhaha
Another weird thing is that apart from the D, my poos have the weirdest looking texture....
Would you give up at this point (I am a very disciplined person and can continue if needs be....)
I want to be sure I gave this a good enough try...
I love you all XXXXXXXXXXXX

--------------------

Re: Oh. You poor thing. new
      #120449 - 11/10/04 05:42 AM
daliatree

hey..
I can't vomit normally - a combination of having a phobia of vomiting and doing all in my power to stop it happening and I have never been such a vomiter really. I am not one of those people (like my mum) who doesn't feel well every so often and throws up and feels better.....the nausea and the shakes are the WORST (and nausea is one of my main symptoms)
You are so sweet Casper!

--------------------

I don't know anything about acacia but good luck on the interview. -nt new
      #120450 - 11/10/04 05:44 AM
Casper

Re: I don't know anything about acacia but good luck on the interview. -nt new
      #120451 - 11/10/04 05:47 AM
daliatree

thank you so much!!! lets hope this wind dies down! :-)

--------------------

Re: Oh yeah! new
      #120453 - 11/10/04 05:50 AM
daliatree

Hey Linz - you are always so helpful - thank you
Its not a bug. I thought it was first because the chills felt distinctly flu like and its been an AGE since I got them as the first warning sign of an attack. But they disappeared within about an hour of having the attack. I always take my temp when having weird symptoms and there is no fever and my energy levels are fine (apart from being bloody tired with hardly any sleep!)...I ate NOTHING weird, and actually ate amazingly IBS safe since the attack 2 days ago. Mmmmm...everything is pointing to the acacia.

--------------------

I agree that new
      #120456 - 11/10/04 05:55 AM
atomic rose

... it's definitely not *just* anxiety-based, because whaddaya know, I had a completely random attack this morning and sure enough... chills and shaking, although not nearly as bad as it used to be. But what I think used to happen is that it would start as a physiological reaction, but then I'd panic about it (panic attacks were always a huge part of my IBS), and *that's* what would keep me shaking for hours.

Poor thing... I hope you're feeling better today!

Re: UPDATE new
      #120457 - 11/10/04 05:57 AM
atomic rose

I don't know... normally I'd say to keep at the acacia and see if you get used to it, but this time I'd probably give up on the acacia, just because it sounds almost exactly like the reaction I had to Citrucel... and as soon as I switched to a different SFS, I was fine.

Good luck with the interview!!

Re: I agree that new
      #120458 - 11/10/04 05:57 AM
daliatree

you had an attack this morning? I am so sorry for you! I hope its all over and was a quick one...
it was just random??? how irritating. I always find it more comforting psychologically if I can point to what caused an attack...
FEEL BETTER

--------------------

#120459 - 11/10/04 05:59 AM
daliatree

Thank you Casey...I think I am going to give up and try other brands...if it was bloating and farting etc I would have given it more time...but major attacks...mmm, not so subtle!

--------------------

I know, me too... new
      #120460 - 11/10/04 06:01 AM
atomic rose

But as far as I can tell, this morning's was COMPLETELY random. I'm practically the poster child for eating IBS-safe at this point, and this morning was no different. Got plenty of sleep last night, haven't been under more stress than usual, don't feel like I'm coming down with anything, don't have my period... etc etc. Random. *sighs* Well, if I needed any proof that this IS a physiological condition (IBS, I mean) and not just a byproduct of my anxiety disorders, I guess today would be it.

It was a pretty quick one, but now I feel all weak and tired and like I got punched in the stomach... blech.

*hugs* Thanks!

Hi Dalia new
      #120477 - 11/10/04 06:59 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I can't tolerate SFS. I have heard several on the boards comment that they had a hard time with it, too. Sometimes switching to a different brand does help.

I would advise that you keep doing whatever it was that got you stable. If your attacks are worse with the SFS then I would stop....at least temporarily. After all, if you are starting to feel better why do something that makes you feel worse.

I know SFS has helped a lot of people on the boards...each of us is a little different, though, and need to do what works best. Sometimes, unfortunately, it's by trial & error.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#120484 - 11/10/04 07:16 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Yes, when I was a C, I used to get the chills and also I would sweat.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

I have heard of people allergic to that family of plants - nt new
      #120487 - 11/10/04 07:22 AM
Linz

#120496 - 11/10/04 07:36 AM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

So sorry. Give your tummy a rest with the safe foods and maybe you want to try fibercon. I am IBS-A but the D is the worst of it and find that to be the best for me. It is pretty gentle. I started with 1/2 and worked my way up to 9 caps a day. Hope you feal better soon.

#120500 - 11/10/04 07:49 AM
krimson

Reged: 10/10/04

Ugh...you poor thing. I thought I was the only one who had the "shake, rattle and roll" thing. It's the most awful feeling to not be able to control it, isn't it? I figured mine was related to anxiety as well...you know how the doctors have you convinced, once you have anxiety, that EVERYTHING that's wrong with you is directly related to that. I just thought I was nervous over having an IBS attack, so I was shaking. In a weird way - and not that I would ever wish it on anyone, EVER - it's nice to know that it could just be an IBS thing.

I hope you all are feeling much better today - keep your fingers crossed for me, please, I've had a really rough 3 days. Actually called in sick to work today - yuck.

Leslie

here too!!! new
      #120501 - 11/10/04 07:57 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

My body temperature becomes pretty volatile during an attack. I had one last night and I was freezing while my tummy ached and then once the D actually came I was really kind of over-heated. I can feel my colon going into spasms when I have these bad attacks and my whole body tends to tense up with it. My attack last night was mostly stress related. I know the chills and dizziness don't help any when you're already trying to deal with massive pains in your gut and a sore bum!
Min

#120502 - 11/10/04 07:59 AM
Linz

I'd guess you're allergic to it. What a pain! But I agree, this ain't good. Try another one when you feel better!

thank you all sooooo much new
      #120695 - 11/10/04 03:01 PM
daliatree

I love you all truly. Thank you.
I had a job interview which went well today...another one tomorrow. Tummy is calmer but not great - only wants plain bread so thats what its having!!! no more acacia for me.
I am going to give myself some time to get to a better point and then try some different brands. <sigh>.
You cannot know what your comforting words did for me. Please all feel better too!

--------------------

Re: thank you all sooooo much new
      #120701 - 11/10/04 03:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I agree with you. I too am new to this board. And I can honestly say, I have never, ever met a group of nicer, kinder, more patient and helpful group of people.
Good luck with your job interviews. I was offered a job but am leery to take it because I'm afraid the IBS will screw it up-- the added stress, explaining my wierd diet to others, etc. I'm glad you are brave enough to do this!

What SFS are you going to try now?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (11/10/04 03:12 PM)

Re: thank you all sooooo much new
      #120728 - 11/10/04 04:16 PM
daliatree

Are you new to IBS too? Because that might be why you feel wary about working etc and showing people your diet. I was always very shy about the diet etc and hid it a lot in other jobs and situations. I am determined to start this new job being open and friendly about the IBS...heat up my food in public and eat it in public (instead of finding some corner to eat it in alone). I think psychologically for myself it will make me prouder and stronger after the first few hard days. I want to have faith in myself. I am on a mission to make IBS a more public thing, that people feel that can talk about openly, because it needs to be more public so that WE sufferers can be free to say 'I am having terrible D, I need to go home' and they can understand that this is a disease and not some hypochondriac joke. I have believed these things for so many years but never had the guts to put them in practise, and i will now! I hope! hahahhahaha
I am not sure which supplement to try now. To be honest, I was doing quite well adding some oatbran to my food, I added too much and got a bit of an attack, but nothing like the acacia gave me, so I might go back to that (even though its not an SFS, its very nutritious and great for the heart). however,I think I will try a real one...citrucel or fibercon..not sure. I need to search the boards and see which is the best tolerated.
Do you take an SFS?

--------------------

Have you ever taken a probiotic? new
      #120851 - 11/11/04 05:34 AM
Casper

My nutritionist reccomended Florify and it has asidophilis (however you spell it?)so it helps with the nausea. I haven't really felt nauceuous since I started taking it.
By the way, How did your interview go?

Re: Have you ever taken a probiotic? new
      #120861 - 11/11/04 05:55 AM
daliatree

yep I have been taking a probiotic at night and in the morning for a few months now...I feel like it is a good move for me, but haven't see drastic improvements!
You are so cute for asking about the interview - it went really really well. I have a second one today.....will let you know how it went! My tummy behaved during the interview at least! I think my british accent is charming the new yorkers (I have a posh London accent, bit like the queen!!)

--------------------

Glad it went well! new
      #121152 - 11/11/04 08:51 PM
Casper

... and that your tummy was polite.

My Dad used to put his accent on thicker when my friends were around becuase he knew they liked to hear it. His is not so posh though. It's a bit cockney. He grew up in Clapton.

I was actually wondering if it was safe to take probiotics twice a day.

Good luck with the next interview.

Chany

P.S. Only one more week until our trip to Israel!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1806 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review