All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
How much insoluble fiber is safe?
      #120070 - 11/08/04 03:35 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Heather's books say that we must eat insoluble fibers, such as the veggies, but to do it in small portions only and with soluable fibers. How much is a little? Since everyone's perception is different? A normal serving of green beans, for example, is 3 ounces. Is that too much to have at once with the rice or is that safe? I usually have 3 ounces of veggies, whether soluable or insoluable. I usually also have 3 to 4 ounces of fruit too. Is that too much on this diet? I know that's what a normal serving usually is in the "normal" eating world.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much insoluble fiber is safe? new
      #120109 - 11/08/04 04:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I find that I can only eat about half as much insoluble veggies as I want to. I grow my own veg and have a problem stopping at a few. But the thing is some are easier to digest than others. Broccoli is a tough one so I limit that to 4 mouthfuls or so and eat it with cooked carrots and rice or whatever. Peas are easier but snow peas and snap peas I have to limit more than I want. The gassy ones like broc, caul, asparagus are the problems for me and I make myself eat less than I want and at the end of the meal. Although all the cooked ones sit far better than raw lettuce and tomato on a sandwich or something along that line. I guess you have to start with a few mouthfuls and see if YOU can eat more as time goes on. I hope this helps (since I have wondered that just like you).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I envy most of you new
      #120146 - 11/08/04 08:59 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I envy most of you on here. I have not eaten any fruits or vegetables other than a little potatoes or a little cooked carrots in years. My day is mostly white bread and meat and my sfs. I also only drink water and no other beverages. At least is keeps me stable.

Me too, Rylee new
      #120202 - 11/09/04 09:12 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! I read posts about V8 and I shudder! I can't do insoluables either. The C people and the D people are totally on opposite ends, as far as this is concerned! Sometimes I wonder if we're all talking about the same IBS. I have to keep in mind who's a C.

~nelly~ (IBS-D. Hold the tomatoes.)

As for Drinks... new
      #120214 - 11/09/04 09:28 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I only drink water, smoothies and herbal teas on occasion. It's boring, but anything else either bothers me or I am to scared to try.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Need some expert advice new
      #120249 - 11/09/04 10:29 AM
Augie

how much insoluble fiber is a safe amount at one sitting? I really would love to know if my 3 oz of G.beans or spinach is too much. Thanks everyone!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Need some expert advice new
      #120272 - 11/09/04 11:14 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Have you been eating 3oz of green beans lately? How does it make you feel? If you haven't tried it, I would try eating safe foods all one day, then have beans or spinach with your dinner, along with more safe solubles. Then see how it makes you feel. Everyone is different. I could probably eat 3oz and be okay. Others, that is not the case. The only way to tell how much is safe (and safe is whether it causes an attack or not), is to try it and see how it feels to you. Ultimately, you are the ONLY one who can decide what works for you.

Good luck!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#120351 - 11/09/04 04:09 PM
Augie

Yup, been eating 3 oz up to now. I thought that insoluble fiber was important for the C stage of IBS-A. And I love my veggies! It would be hard to cut them in half. I could eat 6 oz!

--------------------
~ Beth

#120371 - 11/09/04 04:54 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Sounds like you've been doing well eating them, am I reading right? Insoluble fiber is important for everyone - there isn't a "safe" amount, we're just supposed to get as much as we can without making our conditions worse. So if that amount is working for you, great! You could even experiment with *slowly* adding more, perhaps throughout the day, rather than all at one meal.

Just remember to kind of go by feel with this diet. Do what works for you, what makes you feel better, even if it means breaking a "rule." Nothing is absolutely set in stone (even some of us can bend the line with dairy or meats, but it's NOT advised!). You WILL get the hang of this diet - just be patient, and relax, and keep coming here for support.

Luck!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121278 - 11/12/04 10:41 AM
Augie

Don't know if it's working or not. Do know that I am far from stable. Having lots of C right now. I love my veggies though and am having a hard time cutting down. I only have the 3 oz at night though.

--------------------
~ Beth

#121282 - 11/12/04 10:50 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

I dunno - I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with C myself (I'm an A, and have swung to mostly C). I've been eating oat meal every other day, and I've had a bm every day. Maybe you need to add more insolubles? Have you tried things like oatmeal or brown rice? Maybe in the morning? Eating insolubles helps me, but I don't know if that is enough for you ... I wish I could offer some better advice

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121304 - 11/12/04 11:50 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

If you are C, then don't cut down your insolubles! Just make sure you are getting solubles before and after them, and that you are getting at least 64 oz of fluids and some exercise every day.

--AC

Re: How much insoluble fiber is safe? bump it-nt new
      #121911 - 11/15/04 10:33 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#121952 - 11/15/04 11:58 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I just started eating peas and carrots. I don't measure them so I don't know how many ozs I am eating. The can contains three servings and that is what I eat three servings per day. Insofar as fruit, I eat DelMonte diced peaches, pears and apricots. Of course I have these over oatmeal and my veggies over rice.

I have been doing this for four days now along with my peppermint capsules, teas and of course my SFS!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125339 - 11/24/04 08:52 PM
Augie

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated the advice. It's hard for me to understand why everyone can't find the same solution. Then we could all just follow those rules, period and all live happily ever after!

When you say insolubles help you, which ones? Do you venture into the veggies and fruits,like spinach or green beans, or mainly stick with the brown rice and oatmeal, but oatmeal is soluble so never mind that one.

Do you also take acacia?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125372 - 11/25/04 09:12 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

I know what you mean - sometimes I wish we WERE all cookie-cutter type people. If we all came from the same mold, we'd all be able to use the same things ... Just try to remember on bad days that you can still live happily ever after with IBS - like anything else, it just takes a bit of work. You'll get the hang of it, don't worry.

You're right, I did mess up on the oatmeal, got it backward! oops! As far as the insolubles I do eat (and hopefully I don't have anymore of these wrong), I can do wheat bread, tomatoes, onions, brown rice, peas, lettuce, grean beans, garlic, broccoli, grapes, peanuts/cashews, and granola bars. Tomatoes, onions, and lettuce I'll slice and eat raw in a sandwich (on safe white bread); broccoli, peas, and garlic I eat in stir fry. If I have grapes or nuts, it's only a small handful.

I rarely eat insolubles at more than one meal; for example, I'll have two sandwiches at lunch ( ) OR I'll have stir fry for dinner. It hasn't been taking all that much to get rid of the C. And I am an IBS-A, so I do have attacks of D that can last for days and I don't eat insolubles at all then.

I think I mentioned before (sorry, very bad memory lately!) that my diet isn't very stable. It's widely varied because I have to eat whatever happens to be around. This is 'cause I don't have a job and can't afford much at the moment. I really want to try acacia, but for the same reason ($), haven't yet. I will though (hopefully soon) and I promise to let you know how it goes ... unless of course the next ice age has come by then

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit. Feel free to ask me any other questions (or for clarifications in case this is fuzzy). Good luck!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125374 - 11/25/04 09:26 AM
Augie

Wow, your list of insolubles is awesome! Can't believe you can eat those! So, you are saying that you only have one insoluble per day? If you have it for lunch, you won't have it at breakfast or dinner? Is that right?
How long into the diet did you start adding insolubles?
Are you taking and SFS now?
Do you feel like you were just bombarded with questions? Sorry.
How do you stay so positive? On my bad days, I get so down on life, feeling sorry for myself.
Thanks again, Amber
Ps I know what you mean about money. That's a big big problem for me as well.

--------------------
~ Beth

Rylee new
      #125386 - 11/25/04 11:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Have you given herbal teas a try? I can't have peppermint cause of my acid reflux...but thre are several kinds I can tolerate! I can drink fennel tea, black currant, red tea, liccorice spice, and a few others.

Also, for almost a year I ate mostly potatoes and bread and rice and pasta. Problem was....I got sick after a while because I wasn't getting any insolubles! Try pureeing them and add them in slowly.

Anyway, just concerned your diet is so limited....hope we can help you out!

-<3-

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Rylee new
      #125411 - 11/25/04 04:18 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I have had IBS-D for thirty some years. I tried so many things over the years that I decided to just eat safe foods so I could have a life outside my home. If I ate a veggie or fruit and it made me sick, I never ate it again. Yes my diet is very limited but I enjoy my life a lot more than I used to. There is a lot more information out there now than there used to be. Friends, family and doctors would say it was just nerves but I knew it was what I ate because most of my terrible bouts were at home when I was not under any sort of stress. I have never tried teas. Maybe I will try adding more things but that scares me. The only thing I ever drink is plain water. I don't care about a healthy diet because what good is being healthy if I am going to feel that lousy. I feel good and can do anything..I have even went out to work. Maybe I will have a shorter life but I will enjoy it.

#125425 - 11/25/04 09:33 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

No problem about asking questions! I enjoy helping and being able to actually answer them once in a while

I do only eat one insoluble per day, WITH a soluble base. I don't know if I'm getting all of my nutrients that way, but I AM getting my IBS under control. One insoluble per day is really all I need to get things moving every day. As for serving sizes, if for example I have two sandwiches at lunch, I'll have a slice of tomato and onion on each. Then no more insolubles the rest of the day.

I really never stopped eating insolubles - I've had IBS for 7 years and only found this diet/site in June. I started keeping track of my triggers and cut out the insolubles that did it for me. I guess I ate pretty plain foods for about 3 weeks before I really tried experimenting, but mostly I would eat only soluble foods while I was having D attacks (usually last about 3-4 days) then go back to insolubles. I know that doesn't really go with what the site says, but again, I was doing all of this before I even knew about this place, and it has worked for me.

I'm not taking an SFS, and haven't ever tried them.

I stay positive because I know that there are so many worse things that could be wrong with me (and with my luck, should be wrong, so I'm thankful that IBS is it). And, though it can be difficult, I try to think of something positive about my IBS, too. For example, I have pretty great abs (despite little exercise) because of C and trying to keep from passing gas around others ... I know it's difficult, and everyone goes through times when you just want to give up. But I'm a firm believer that our purpose in life is to bring joy to others - and that is what helps me make it through the day. Your life wont always be ruled by your bowels. Remember, tomorrow is another day.

Wishing you all of the best!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#125435 - 11/26/04 03:11 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey slicksgirl, just wanted to add that I completely agree with your last paragraph...I try to see the ibs as a good thing too...I could have something so much more serious...I count myself as lucky. And yes, part of me wishes I hadnt got it when I was 15 and being only 19 still I wish I could have lived my younger life like everyone else but at the same time...I think Ive matured so much since getting this and I know my attitude towards food and drink and life in general is a lot more mature than most people my age. I try to think that everything happens for a reason and that me getting this was as a way of teaching me to live everyday to the full...plus if I hadnt have gotten it I wouldnt have met all the wonderful people on these boards!!

--------------------
Natalie

#125463 - 11/26/04 09:17 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Good for you! I'm glad that we both can take on that view at such a young age. Like you, I missed out on a lot when I was younger, but there is still a lot of living left to do. I think it's important to remember (with any illness or disorder) that life isn't over - it's just on a different path. That's why helping others is so important to me; I want to be able to share my ideas and attitudes with others, so that they too can feel alive and free.

Thank you for posting! Yeah for being positive!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

helping others!! new
      #125475 - 11/26/04 10:13 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey amber,
Yep I know totally what you mean about wanting to help others...its great if you can make a difference to someone whos been through something you have too! Its thanks to so many of the helpful people on this board that Ive improved my symptoms so much and if I can do that too then thats great! Ive always wanted to go to south america and teach in an orphanage in peru...I love kids, Ive always been really good dealing with them and Ive been learning spanish for years! When I first got IBS I started to think that Id never be able to get the courage to go...now after seeing how many people can achieve things like that (Brittany and Dalia wahoo!!) Im now in the early stages of planning it for next summer! Without them I think it may be still just a dream of mine! Heather is just an inspiration...the amount of peoples lives who've changed because of this website is just amazing!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: helping others!! new
      #125951 - 11/28/04 10:57 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Hi Natalie!

That is such an amazing goal! I hope that you'll get to go (I'm sure that you will!) - You will do such a lot of good! Will you be teaching English, or just lessons in general? Do you think that you'll go by yourself or with a group? You are very brave and kind to want to dedicate yourself to helping!

You will conquer your IBS and acheive your goals, and that in itself will be an inspiration to everyone. Good luck to you!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review