All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
How much insoluble fiber is safe?
      #120070 - 11/08/04 03:35 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Heather's books say that we must eat insoluble fibers, such as the veggies, but to do it in small portions only and with soluable fibers. How much is a little? Since everyone's perception is different? A normal serving of green beans, for example, is 3 ounces. Is that too much to have at once with the rice or is that safe? I usually have 3 ounces of veggies, whether soluable or insoluable. I usually also have 3 to 4 ounces of fruit too. Is that too much on this diet? I know that's what a normal serving usually is in the "normal" eating world.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much insoluble fiber is safe? new
      #120109 - 11/08/04 04:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I find that I can only eat about half as much insoluble veggies as I want to. I grow my own veg and have a problem stopping at a few. But the thing is some are easier to digest than others. Broccoli is a tough one so I limit that to 4 mouthfuls or so and eat it with cooked carrots and rice or whatever. Peas are easier but snow peas and snap peas I have to limit more than I want. The gassy ones like broc, caul, asparagus are the problems for me and I make myself eat less than I want and at the end of the meal. Although all the cooked ones sit far better than raw lettuce and tomato on a sandwich or something along that line. I guess you have to start with a few mouthfuls and see if YOU can eat more as time goes on. I hope this helps (since I have wondered that just like you).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I envy most of you new
      #120146 - 11/08/04 08:59 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I envy most of you on here. I have not eaten any fruits or vegetables other than a little potatoes or a little cooked carrots in years. My day is mostly white bread and meat and my sfs. I also only drink water and no other beverages. At least is keeps me stable.

Me too, Rylee new
      #120202 - 11/09/04 09:12 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! I read posts about V8 and I shudder! I can't do insoluables either. The C people and the D people are totally on opposite ends, as far as this is concerned! Sometimes I wonder if we're all talking about the same IBS. I have to keep in mind who's a C.

~nelly~ (IBS-D. Hold the tomatoes.)

As for Drinks... new
      #120214 - 11/09/04 09:28 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I only drink water, smoothies and herbal teas on occasion. It's boring, but anything else either bothers me or I am to scared to try.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Need some expert advice new
      #120249 - 11/09/04 10:29 AM
Augie

how much insoluble fiber is a safe amount at one sitting? I really would love to know if my 3 oz of G.beans or spinach is too much. Thanks everyone!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Need some expert advice new
      #120272 - 11/09/04 11:14 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Have you been eating 3oz of green beans lately? How does it make you feel? If you haven't tried it, I would try eating safe foods all one day, then have beans or spinach with your dinner, along with more safe solubles. Then see how it makes you feel. Everyone is different. I could probably eat 3oz and be okay. Others, that is not the case. The only way to tell how much is safe (and safe is whether it causes an attack or not), is to try it and see how it feels to you. Ultimately, you are the ONLY one who can decide what works for you.

Good luck!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#120351 - 11/09/04 04:09 PM
Augie

Yup, been eating 3 oz up to now. I thought that insoluble fiber was important for the C stage of IBS-A. And I love my veggies! It would be hard to cut them in half. I could eat 6 oz!

--------------------
~ Beth

#120371 - 11/09/04 04:54 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Sounds like you've been doing well eating them, am I reading right? Insoluble fiber is important for everyone - there isn't a "safe" amount, we're just supposed to get as much as we can without making our conditions worse. So if that amount is working for you, great! You could even experiment with *slowly* adding more, perhaps throughout the day, rather than all at one meal.

Just remember to kind of go by feel with this diet. Do what works for you, what makes you feel better, even if it means breaking a "rule." Nothing is absolutely set in stone (even some of us can bend the line with dairy or meats, but it's NOT advised!). You WILL get the hang of this diet - just be patient, and relax, and keep coming here for support.

Luck!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121278 - 11/12/04 10:41 AM
Augie

Don't know if it's working or not. Do know that I am far from stable. Having lots of C right now. I love my veggies though and am having a hard time cutting down. I only have the 3 oz at night though.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 962 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2859

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review