All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Vibrations cause stomach pains?
      #120060 - 11/08/04 03:15 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

So I went in for an MRI today, and I noticed that when the machine was vibrating it was causing my intestines/tummy to gurgle/hurt ... It does it even more when we go to the laser show and all the bass from the music is pounding through the seats. It actually gets to the point that I think I'm going to have an attack. Anyone else have that happen to them? Has there ever been a study of vibrations and internal organs?

Just curious about other's experiences. Thanks everyone!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vibrations cause stomach pains? new
      #120063 - 11/08/04 03:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know about a study on it, but I've definitely had that experience. Really loud thumping bass mostly just makes me nauseous, but occasionally it does feel like it's *getting things moving*, if you know what I mean.

#120067 - 11/08/04 03:26 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

well I notice that when I jog I get cramps within a few minutes and I'm not even all that pain predominant usually...funny because I was an aerobics instructor and it never bothered me because it was always a variation between low impact and high impact..but running is alll impact!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#120102 - 11/08/04 04:40 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

After my colonoscopy on Friday, my Mom managed to hit every single pot hole on the 45 minute drive home. I wanted to die, my tummy hurt so bad . Usually those type of things don't bother me unless I'm already having cramps/pain.

Meg

#120104 - 11/08/04 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

LOl. That was what I was going to say. I didn't notice anything when I had a hip MRI but at concerts the bass makes me feel like a have to poop and it is a joke with my DH, who also plays bass guitar himself. (Did anyone see the South Park about the 'brown note?')

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#120572 - 11/10/04 10:51 AM
Cathryn

Reged: 10/31/04

It happens to me also. We were taken to a concert by friends one night and they surprised us with front row seats. The bass vibrations were so awful that I ended up in the bathroom all night.

#120579 - 11/10/04 10:57 AM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

Yes shaking bothers me too. I have to be careful with sex and even sleeping. I can't sleep or even lay on my side for long. Wanna really feel sick? Go on a wooden roller coaster.

#120756 - 11/10/04 05:33 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Crazy ... ...

I keep thinking that if our problem is the intestines not spasming correctly (or whatever), and that vibrations affect us, then somebody should study using them to get us back to normal! You know, like a defibrilator for the colon? Well, wishful thinking! But what a hassle!! Immodium doesn't really help with that kind of thing ... Maybe we could wear metal shielding to concerts?? Okay, I'm just rambling now ...

Thanks for your input!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121130 - 11/11/04 06:42 PM
turrtle

Metal shielding is a good idea! Then we'd fit in with everyone. Might even get invited on stage!

#121139 - 11/11/04 07:48 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Or we could form a whole team of grinder-girls (like from Letterman).

--------------------
*Emma*

I get nauseus on a swing! new
      #121153 - 11/11/04 08:59 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

So I know what you mean.
The other day I was trying to show one of my kindergarten students how to pump a swing and I had to stop. I got soooo frustrated when she laughed and said that she was just kidding... she knew how to pump a swing!
I love five year olds... but some times their sense of humor baffles me!
Chany

#121264 - 11/12/04 10:15 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

LoL - yeah! Plus, we could go into mosh pits without getting beaten up! Don't fall down though, 'cause you'd probably never be able to get back up again

Hee hee

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: I get nauseus on a swing! new
      #121270 - 11/12/04 10:23 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

That completely stinks!! I love swings ... and roller coasters and concerts! Where do our intestines get off thinking they can make it difficult for us ALL of the time?? At least we can control many of the other problems, but it's not like we can stop moving altogether!

Now that I think about it, my tummy bugs me all the time on the plane too - I used to think I was nervous about the bathroom issue, but now I'm not sure ... Grrr! As I said, a hassle!

I know what you mean about kid humor - I usually don't understand half of what they are saying, so I just smile and nod, even if the joke is on me What can you do? On the other hand, they can be quite insightful - my friend's daughter took one look at b/f and proclaimed to the whole house, "It's the devil!! It's the devil!!"

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Yep-- new
      #121319 - 11/12/04 12:45 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yeah, vibrations (inc. bass music, yelling, doors slamming, refrigerator humming in the middle of the night suddenly) are one of my triggers. Not fun when you have D. I think it just provokes a stress reaction, which is the real D trigger. But even the air conditioning clicking on in the night will jolt me awake into a D fit.

Hard to explain to someone who doesn't react this way. If I had a dollar for docs who told me, "Oh, you just have to reduce your stress..!!" UGH. Duh.

~nelly~

Re: Yep-- new
      #121375 - 11/12/04 05:50 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Nelly, my dear, I am consistently amazed by you. I have to say that you must have the most awful case of IBS I've ever heard of (no offense intended), and yet you are still inspirational! If I were you, I would have taken the weak road and crawled under a rock. But you are out working in a stressful, professional environment (and full time!), you're out having a life and having fun, and taking care of all the people around you (not to mention all of us on the board!)!! My IBS is mild compared to yours, and I don't do any of that Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are SO brave, and thank you for bring your courage, humor and kindness here to share with all of us!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121411 - 11/12/04 10:04 PM
turrtle

That's so funny. I just got done watching him! lol

#121451 - 11/13/04 07:40 AM
Cathryn

Reged: 10/31/04

Sorry to hear the plane bothers you too but misery loves company. I have been saying to my husband for years that the plane causes so much cramping I can actually feel my intestines moving around like it has something alive in it. Last week I was reading an article about how the muscles of the intestine can actually get like a charley horse in them while flying. That is exactly what it feels like to me. I can't go for many days or a week after flying. How does it bother you?

#121470 - 11/13/04 08:55 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

I get cramping too, and gas (which is terrible because I rarely pass it unless I'm on the toilet ) It's so uncomfortable, and I usually spend the whole trip trying to doze or shifting positions ... I guess it might help if I didn't always request seats right behind the wing/engines - but that's the only thing I like about flying anymore is watching the wings ... Anyway, I'm usually better when I can get off of the plane and walk around (I ALWAYS get stuck at the gate farthest from the baggage claim, so it's a LONG walk ).

I suppose trains would be just as bad, if not worse, since you're on them longer ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#121476 - 11/13/04 09:23 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I actually find most cars and trains soothing to my bowels and nausea too. but planes make me blow up...its funny...as we take off, the higher we get my belly blows up with the pressure differences till I look pregnant...and as we descend to land...it goes down!! hahhahahaa and my farts become sooo stinky (and mine are rarely stinky)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Amber! new
      #121547 - 11/13/04 05:25 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Amber, you're so sweet!! I did do the under the rock thing and dragged myself out of bed and am forcing myself to live life! You're so kind to post to me like that, and I can feel your compassion. I appreciate your support and all your empathy!!

I'll bet when we're all at our worst, we're closer to each other's experiences than we think. I've got noise baggage from way back, cos noise equalled bad thing gonna happen, and that's ingrained in me, especially in the dark and sleep! Ah, programming! At least I've figured out it's a trigger, and can work around it...!

I wish I'd found these boards years and years ago when I was at my absolute worst!! I'm so glad we can air everything together like this because boy, does it beat going through it alone!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4886

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review