All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: crockpot recipes (was Re: Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker!) new
      #285 - 02/01/03 04:53 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Thank you SO MUCH--that is exactly the kind of info I wanted--cookbook suggestions from someone who has read the books and recipes from someone who cooks ! I'll certainly have to try the stew with chicken. Thanks again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker! new
      #298 - 02/02/03 06:16 AM
Marianne

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Oakland County Michigan

Sharon, Try contacting Trader Joe's at 1-800-7467857 or on line at www.traderjoe's.com for the soy blue cheese. If anyone would have it would be that store!
Marianne

#303 - 02/02/03 08:32 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Marianne - thanks, but there's only one Trader Joe's near where I live and that 1.5 hrs away in Modesto, CA. I go every month or so and hve found things there that I can't any where else. Thanks again.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#5488 - 04/08/03 05:16 PM
jcataw

Reged: 03/30/03

Hi HanSolo:
I just bought a breadmaker. Was tired of having to go to the supermarket bakery for french bread every other day! Just tried my first loaf last night and while it tasted as good as the store bought - the bread turned out so dense! I would love to try making the dough in the machine and shaping and baking in the oven as you suggested. Since I am not a cook and have never made french bread before, can you tell me how long and at what temp to bake the french bread for? I printed out your recipe for french bread and will try that in my machine next!
Thanks for the info,
jcataw

#5492 - 04/08/03 05:46 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've gone through 2 breadmakers in the last 10 years, and don't understand why your bread was dense. Check your yeast date for freshness and/or try another recipe. That's the whole purpose of having a bread machine, to not have to knead by hand. My bread machine french bread was better than the store bought kind, by far.

#5498 - 04/08/03 06:58 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Wait!!! I've got it, the first loaf of bread I made came out that way and I was disappointed. Go out and get Bread Flour, that was the problem. Bread flour has a difference in the gluten content which makes it better for making bread with. Costco sells it by the 20 lb bag, but you can get it in the stores in 5 lbs.. You will be surprised at the difference.

#5520 - 04/09/03 05:32 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

So glad you are enjoying it. I will get the directions for temp and time and post it later today. 2 reasons I can think of why your bread was too dense. One is, when you measured the flour, did you dump or lightly pour or spoon in? If you dump, you may get too much flour and then the bread is too heavy. I have had dense bread when I didn't let it rise enough, too. I often let it rise longer than it says - there will be no harm to it. Make sure it's doubled in size as opposed to whatever the recipe says for rise time. Happy breadmaking!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#5550 - 04/09/03 09:47 AM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

jcataw - the bread flour is called BETTER FOR BREAD and it's in a yellow bag, 5 lb. If you can't get it, try adding some gluten (get it at the Health food store) to regular flour.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#5577 - 04/09/03 04:42 PM
jcataw

Reged: 03/30/03

HanSolo:
Hi! Well, I did "dump" it into the measuring cup and after reading that I realize that that could have been the problem - too much flour. (I should have known that one! I bake cookies all the time for the grandkids!) Will try your recipe for french bread and your other suggestions. Thanks for your help!
Joyce (jcataw)

Re: 375 for 40 minutes or until golden brown. new
      #5578 - 04/09/03 04:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Let rise 45 minutes or until doubled. Let me know how it turns out!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14301

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review