All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ruchie.....How do you feel about Miralax?
      #11995 - 06/19/03 05:37 AM
coragrace03

Reged: 05/13/03
Loc: MA.

I was prescribed it last week - haven't used it yet. I've been havig alot of diahrea (normally I'm constipited w/ no movement for 4-5 days, then 1 LONG day of diahrea) and I don't want to make the diahrea worse by using the miralax. I'm confused! Also I'm still having the massive, painful attaccks that the Dr calls spastic colon. He gave me Nulev, AKA, hyoscyamine, for the onset of the attacks. It does NOTHING. He told me to take 2 as soon as the pain starts, I've taken up to 6 at a time just to dull the pain - NOTHING. I have spent 3 nights since I saw him last week up crying my eyes out till morning. Any ideas on something else I could ask to take for the pain of these attacks????
Thank You,
Cora

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ruchie.....How do you feel about Miralax? new
      #11996 - 06/19/03 05:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

I'm a bit confused--did you try the Miralax and now you have diarrhea?

I took Miralax for about 2 weeks. I did see great impovement with it. I started out with 1 dose a day and moved up to 2. I only found relief from it on 2 doses a day. the idea of a laxative scared me--I didn't want to become dependent on it--so I stopped taking it and tried to have BM's the natural way. But the MiraLax truly helped me a lot.

As far as pain goes, the meds didn't help me either. What causes your pain? Mine was often trapped gas, and I would do yoga and use a heating pad for the pain. Do you do yoga?

I wish I could be of more help to you. I'm SO SORRY you're in so much pain right now!!!! Please write me back with answers to some of the questions I asked you in this post and I'll try to come up with more answers for you! Take care of yourself!

((((hugs))))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#12000 - 06/19/03 06:06 AM
coragrace03

Reged: 05/13/03
Loc: MA.

No, I haven't taken the miralax yet. I've had diahrea since last week (very unusual) so I didn't know if I should take the miralax until I got back to the regular constipation pattern. Like you, Im very unhappy that he wants me on this, fibercon, and colace everyday longterm. He said this is the only way to get and stay regular. No, I don't take yoga. Everything I've read here seems so positive though! Its very hard to get me to "change" I've always been afraid to try new things!
Thanks,
Cora

#12001 - 06/19/03 06:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

I wouldn't take the MiraLax if you have diarrhea right now!
I would try yoga! If your tummy is upset, the breathing and the movement from various yoga positions gets gas moving so you can pass it and feel better. Also, the heating pad is a good thing to try!

It can be scary to try new things. I hope you can muster up the courage to try yoga (I'm sure you CAN!!). It's really very helpful! If you need help getting started, we're all here for you.

I had a HORRIFIC attack one night a couple of months ago. Yoga saved me! Even the heating pad wasn't helping me!

Please keep posting and let us know what you decide to do. Take care of yourself....feel better soon!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#12004 - 06/19/03 07:05 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Ruchie I have an unopened bottle of Miralax in the cabinet. Has it given you bad bloating and gas? I heard that was a main side effect and have since never even given it a try.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#12006 - 06/19/03 07:14 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so sorry you too are feeling so bad. I agree with Ruchie about not taking the miralax while you have D. I was on it for about 2 years and it did help keep things moving. If I would miss a day or two I would get C, so I do think your body does become dependant on it. I stopped it just recently, I also stopped the fibercon and I'm only taking Citrucel. I'm not regular by any stretch of the imagination but I think my body still needs a little time to adjust. I also have been up the last few nights crying from the pain. The heating pad is my best friend right now. I had to come to work but at the drug store I found ThermaCare heat wraps, they don't get as hot as the heating pad but it is helping me get through my day. I strongly suggest picking some up if you have to be seperated from your heating pad. I have had IBS C for about 16 years and I haven't found anything better for the pain than the heat. If you find something that works better for you please let us know. Thanks.
Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#12017 - 06/19/03 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It made me very gassey and I do seem to be less bloated since I stopped it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#12058 - 06/19/03 01:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

I was already gassy and bloated...so I can't blame it on the MiraLax. It's not a guaranteed side effect...but it's def. a possible one. If you're in a bind, pun not intended, I would use it for a few days. It might help give you some relief. Let me know what you devide!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1685

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review