All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is quinoa safe? And here's what it is...
      #119466 - 11/06/04 07:39 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Quinoa is a grain that is full of protein. I'd like to be able to eat it. Does anyone know if it's safe?

Since nobody has heard of it, read this.

----------------------------------------------------

Why Eat It

Nutritionally, quinoa might be considered a supergrain--although it is not really a grain, but the seed of a leafy plant that's distantly related to spinach. Quinoa has excellent reserves of protein, and unlike other grains, is not missing the amino aicd lysine, so the protein is more complete (a trait it shares with other "non-true" grains such as buckwheat and amaranth). The World Health Organization has rated the quality of protein in quinoa at least equivalent to that in milk. Quinoa offers more iron than other grains and contains high levels of potassium and riboflavin, as well as other B vitamins: B6, niacin, and thiamin. It is also a good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese, and has some folate (folic acid).

An ancient grainlike product that has recently been "rediscovered" in this country, quinoa has a light, delicate taste, and can be substituted for almost any other grain.

Quinoa grains are about the same size as millet, but flattened, with a pointed, oval shape. The color ranges from pale yellow through red and brown to black. Quinoa cooks quickly to a light, fluffy texture. As it cooks, the external germ, which forms a band around each grain, spirals out, forming a tiny crescent-shaped "tail," similar to a bean sprout. Although the grain itself is soft and creamy, the tail is crunchy, providing a unique texture to complement quinoa's delicate flavor.

Edited by Sara-Sage (11/06/04 09:35 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Never hear of it.... sorry... n/t new
      #119493 - 11/06/04 09:24 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Sounds like it's both SF and IF new
      #119517 - 11/06/04 10:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But that could be good. Certainly sounds like it's worth trying!

Re: Sounds like it's both SF and IF new
      #119522 - 11/06/04 11:15 AM
Sara-Sage

I had it the other night and did have some mild cramping but it could ahve been from the caffeinated tea that I mistakingly had (from a co-worker).

Re: Is quinoa safe? And here's what it is... new
      #119531 - 11/06/04 11:46 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

In 'IBS The First Year', Heather says that quinoa is SF (p27). I was told by a nutritionist that it is a good protein choice, especially for vegans. However, I have eaten it in the past and find it just goes straight through me. I ate it cooked with vegetables and olive oil though, which probably made things worse ... I'd like to try it again when I've sorted myself out a bit more, I think it's definitely worth experimenting with.

Josephine

#119549 - 11/06/04 12:41 PM
Sara-Sage

I happen to be vegan so that's one of the reasons it interests me.

I will try it again and see what happens. Everyon'e so different.

Thanks.

Sara-Sage, on being a vegan new
      #119558 - 11/06/04 01:12 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Isn't it hard to be a vegan on this diet? So many fruits and especially veggies are triggers. What do you eat?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Being a vegan with IBS new
      #119565 - 11/06/04 01:40 PM
Sara-Sage

Hi Beth,

No, in fact I think it makes sense to be vegan with IBS. We can't have dairy. I have been a vegetarian for 13 years so cutting out dairy wasn't too bad. I miss pizza like crazy but that's life.

I can eat cooked vegetables with no trouble. I have to avoid broccoli and asparagus though.

As for fruits, I can eat bananas raw. I have soy smoothies with frozen mango and strawberries with no trouble. Grapes and other raw fruit is out of the question though.

Have you tried having V8 juice for your vegetable intake? Or cooked veggies in a soup?

For an example of what I'm having for dinner, check out this link. Just made it and it's now cooking as we speak. No dairy or meat. It does have beans and veggies but I can tolerate them once cooked (plus I need my iron and protein). I will top it with some Tofutti (vegan) sour cream. YUM!

http://vegweb.com/food/casseroles/2180.shtml

If you have any other questions, just ask.

#119566 - 11/06/04 01:40 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I've had it before, and I posted a recipe on the recipe board with it a while ago, kinda tastes like oatmeal. Here's the link: Apple Quinoa recipe

I like it, and so does my b/f who can be kinda picky about food (though he ended up putting hot sauce on it 'cause he's crazy and puts hot sauce on everything). Enjoy!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#119567 - 11/06/04 01:45 PM
Sara-Sage

Hey cool, thanks. I was cooking it up like rice and having it as a side dish. I have a recipe for a salad with it and parsley, I think.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8799 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3082

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review