All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone have experience with obstructions?
      #11923 - 06/18/03 06:31 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I know I've been talking about this a while, but I got worked in to see my GI Dr today, this pain has not gone away and last night was just too much to bear. Eric has stayed home to take care of the kids today so I can go and get checked out. I really am to the point that I'm worried about some form of intestinal obstruction. On my left side, just below my last rib, there is a localized area of bad pain, been in that exact same spot a week now, and everything else is so bloated with so much pressure. Lying on a heating pad helps a little but does not alleviate it and as soon as I get up and start to do things again it comes right back. I haven't eaten anything since early yesterday afternoon so it's not anything I've eaten. That's another reason this is such a concern - my Dr has me on a weight gain plan and I can't accomplish that if I'm hurting like this and don't want to eat because it only causes more pressure. So we'll see what he says. If he says, "It's just gas" I think I'll punch him in the nose!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have experience with obstructions? new
      #11924 - 06/18/03 06:57 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

hmmm...glad you are going to get checked. I know I would. If it was gas, you should have moved down by now! Take care.let us know what it is.

#11946 - 06/18/03 11:57 AM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Michelle, I am anxious to hear what your doctor tells you. I know exactly the pain you are speaking of and experience the exact same thing. It is miserable. Do you feel like you are being choked? I actually have a stricture in my colon which is the main cause of this problem. I know the heating pad helped some but the pain and pressure would stay with me for days. I hope that will not be the case for you. I have even done colon hydrotherapy which I know Heather doesn't recommend but has been the only thing to help when I get to that state. Please keep me posted and I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa

#11951 - 06/18/03 12:39 PM
drdolittle17

Reged: 06/18/03

I completely know how you feel! I felt like that the past week and a half. It only got better these last two days. What made it worse was I had my wisdom teeth out last week and could only have liquids. Since they couldn't pass one part of my intestine the liquids just sat in my stomach. It was really gross. Please tell me if you find any remedies for this.

Ct scan/spasms? new
      #11955 - 06/18/03 01:14 PM
ecmmbm

He wants to do an abdominal CT scan Monday morning to rule out any other problems, but says it could likely just be spasms. I've never had them stay in one place like this or last this long, but the more I read on them, I can see where it cuold be that. How embarrassing if that is all it is! I really hate this, you know that? My eating hasn't changed so it must be stress related. My blood pressure was also up for the first time EVER in my life - I'm usually low, like 100 over 60. It was 135 over 100. I've never been that high, not even while pregnant. What is going on with me? I need to get a SERIOUS grip.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Edited by ecmmbm (06/18/03 01:21 PM)

#11961 - 06/18/03 03:11 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Awww- you poor thing. I am really glad you posted today and let us know what is going on. Hope things go well at the doctor and your cat scan Monday.
Take care of yourself and don't stress out about your eating right now. Try a Brat Diet and see if that helps you tolerate foods better.

Re: Ct scan/spasms? new
      #11967 - 06/18/03 04:47 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi! I'm the other "poster" from the Charlotte area. I may be having a CAT scan of my tummy next week too. I am going to the ob/gyn tomorrow for a check-up. If she doesn't find anything wrong after doing her exam, then my gastro doc wants to schedule a CAT scan for next week. Maybe you and I could go in together---and hold hands for support! I don't mean to make light of the situation, because I know you are in pain. I just couldn't believe it when I read your message and you said you were having the same test as me next week. Hopefully, soon we will both have an answer and some relief from our problems. Keep me posted.

#11969 - 06/18/03 05:10 PM
ecmmbm

I'm going to the University Hospital for mine - wanna come? Hope you feel better too!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#12033 - 06/19/03 10:32 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Now I'm really confused. My gastro recommended I see the ob/gyn first (since he said my colon was "hung up" on something on the left hand side and he thought it might be a problem with my ovaries.) The ob/gyn said she didn't see anything and recommended I go back to the gastro doc. Now I don't know what to do. My stomach has been better since I started making the dietary changes that Heather suggests. I asked the doc about the use of a small dose of an anti-depressant to help with my symptoms and she said she wasn't that familiar with the use of them for IBS. I thought maybe that would help me since I hava a history of depression and having taken one in the past. Many of the posters on this board are frustrated because the gastro docs push antidepressants on them. I go in requesting one and feel justified in doing so, and they dismiss the idea!!!! Go figure!

#12072 - 06/19/03 03:10 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Michelle,

So sorry to hear about the yucky pain. You asked about obstruction, but.... are you positive the bloating, etc, is related to the below-the-rib pain? Reason I ask, I've had a bad bout of costochondritis - terribly painful, in the ribcage area - it's basically an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs (I think that's right). I thought I was having a heart attack, the pain was so severe. It actually hurt to breathe. The area was extremely sensitive to the touch and the pain lasted for a few weeks. Finally went away, but once in a while I have a tiny flare - usually brought on by some sort of physical activity like lifting something heavy. Just tossing this out as a thought ....

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#25190 - 11/02/03 12:36 PM
sheila anne

Reged: 10/25/03

Re: Colon Stricture/Intest Obstruction. Hi Lisa from LA. I just recently got on board with the msgs, tho using the website to order, newsletters, etc, for a long time. Anyway, in catching up I came across your entry and hope you are still reading postings.

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Ideopatic Intestinal Pseudo Obstruction (after 5 years of other misdiagnoses). I have never felt sure even this diagnosis is accurate. To me it has always seemed like a narrowing of the bowel. I have the same symptoms you describe plus long, pencil thin stools (most recent colonoscopy revealed excessive length & many redundant turns in my colon). The pain is specific and intense. I take Vicodin and hate to have that in my body. I would not wish this on anybody.

Would love to chat w/you about coping and how your medical provider got to your diagnosis of stricture. Thx, Sheila Anne

#25209 - 11/02/03 03:13 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Michelle: A cat scan is an excellent idea because it will give your doctor different views of that area plus other areas of your abdomen-sometimes pain is referred, meaning it starts at one place and hurts at a totally different area. I pray you are not obstructed! But they can fix that! Take good care of yourself! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#25210 - 11/02/03 03:16 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Can you take some facts about serotonin and the gut to your dr? Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Anti-depressants new
      #25286 - 11/03/03 06:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Go ask again and take some info with you. If your Doc still says no, ask for a second opinion. Even before I was put on full-strength anti-depressants, I was on a low strength to help the IBS and it really did!

#25299 - 11/03/03 08:07 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Michelle,
I hope you feel better. I also Have had a CT scan of the abdomin. Do you have any burning of the stomach associated with the pain? Sometimes the rib cage can get inflammed especially in gerds patience or problems in constipation and diahhrea the muscle can actually seperate a bit. I hope
everything checks out ok. Your in my prayers and thoughts for a quick recovery.
Sherri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review